YouTube crap. A request

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Double thumbs up, except from Ironfilms awesome youtube parade in the lighting thread. That flooding with redundant youtube videos should not become a habbit with us!

A thing about selfmade videos. Most of them are in the footage subforum and rather modestly discussed. The main forum gives better exposure to forum members and to discussion afaik.

Unfortunately, YT is a mess flooded by the monetization mania and I concur, the participation on footage subforum here is underestimated, anyway.

No new cameras in the horizon to launch nowadays follows, the talking heads live sessions on YT grow up as new hype... as well, brands seem to choose youtubers to promote their marketing as a sort of new internet shills.

Even the ads we had to avoid from generalist TV channels are now transferred ad nauseam to YT each couple of minutes, well, a weekly digest looks like a great idea for a new website indeed, Andrew ; )

With the current quarantine, I'm afraid we'll have exactly what Kye has mentioned on his new thread, and a decrease on content quality until the crisis will last, so be ready yet for some months to come...

• Administrators

Thanks for your opinion.

So just to be clear...

No more 5-6 videos per post. Just select 1, a good one. Or better yet, get your camera out and help others to figure out that particular model and what works well with it in terms of lenses, workflows, etc.

With the current situation I'm afraid new purchases are a bit of compromised investments to make these days. To bet on already pre-existent gear I believe is the most balanced approach for a successful business along 2020 at least. I've just canceled all our plans for now. Even the projects, two feature films to be shot yet this year have their shooting schedule suspended until further notice. There are some much other work to advance of course. Just not camera related.

Two feature films in UK and US.

It shall depend on a series of factors yet. I love DSLR form factor, so I usually tend to push there. Being Blackmagic cameras my favorite ones today.

My business partner has shot a horror feature on Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, I humbly push him to adopt. We had shot a feature film on 5DII before.

RED usually arrives because of investments already done in the past to match a very personal path of our own to also comprehend industry connections. I've just opened a thread in the footage subforum on a feature documentary already completed and to currently be released (90% shot on Epic MX/Dragon).

The other two features to be made between 2020 and 2021 are narrative stuff.

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

This is not the YouTube Video Digest

Can we cut down on threads where there are 3 or 4 youtube clips in every post?

How about making or OWN content rather than reposts?

Amen...

I think some people don't get it though..they are posting hundrends of youtube videos for a few months now, and stil they do not get it..even after your post Andrew.

4 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Amen...

I think some people don't get it though..they are posting hundrends of youtube videos for a few months now, and stil they do not get it..even after your post Andrew.

Probably they see the video embedded feature with some different use?

I think Andrew nailed it with the digest concept.

As written up there, it doesn't seem a bad idea at all after all since I guess it is consensual the overload exists from the origin on YT as our contemporary video hosting mainstream or am I wrong on it? ; )

What seems pretty clear to me it is that despite the repeatedly calls from our webmaster here, the footage subforum on EOSHD keeps going overrated as it has been well observed in this thread.

And I continue seeing a few people who present themselves as professionals but I can't find a single work or gig they had worked for years I am reading this website in any way other than as their customary blah blah they'll buy the wishful list of next camera to come...

18 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Double thumbs up, except from Ironfilms awesome youtube parade in the lighting thread. That flooding with redundant youtube videos should not become a habbit with us!

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I don't make a habit of regularly posting tonnes of videos within a single post?
But that thread was specifically asking about learning lighting during lockdown, and videos really are the best way! As lighting is obviously such a visual media. Thus I thought I'd just scroll through the channels I'm already subbed to, and share just a couple of videos from each channel as a starting point for people to launch themselves from. Little did I realize at the time just how many lighting/filmmaking/cinematography channels I am subbed to! Truly a tonne of them, and before I knew it I had quite a handful there in the post. And that's only just scratching the surface of what is out there! Am sure there are many more great channels out there I'm unaware of, plus I stopped writing that post before I even got to the end of the list of all the channels I'm subbed to. 

15 hours ago, Emanuel said:

With the current situation I'm afraid new purchases are a bit of compromised investments to make these days. To bet on already pre-existent gear I believe is the most balanced approach for a successful business along 2020 at least.

I agree, it is going to be such a tough environment in the short to medium term, the best idea is to not buy any new gear unless you really really have to. Additionally, the used market is going to be flooded with great priced gear because people will be choosing to or be forced to exit the industry. 

Only buy new gear when you really must, or in some rare exceptions when the new gear is offering something really unique or very very good value. (for example, the two exceptions in 2020 that I might consider is the BMD ATEM Mini Pro or Tentacle Track E, as I reckon there is nothing at their prices which can touch them even when buying secondhand)

14 hours ago, Emanuel said:

My business partner has shot a horror feature on Blackmagic Production Camera 4K, I humbly push him to adopt.

You wouldn't push for a Production Camera 4K now though would you? You'd be only go for some variant of the new Pocket or URSA Mini 4.6K cameras.

6 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, sorry about that. I think I don't make a habit of regularly posting tonnes of videos within a single post?
But that thread was specifically asking about learning lighting during lockdown, and videos really are the best way! As lighting is obviously such a visual media. Thus I thought I'd just scroll through the channels I'm already subbed to, and share just a couple of videos from each channel as a starting point for people to launch themselves from. Little did I realize at the time just how many lighting/filmmaking/cinematography channels I am subbed to! Truly a tonne of them, and before I knew it I had quite a handful there in the post. And that's only just scratching the surface of what is out there! Am sure there are many more great channels out there I'm unaware of, plus I stopped writing that post before I even got to the end of the list of all the channels I'm subbed to. 

I've always appreciated your digest research BTW for obvious reasons. YT is unbearable these days. Suggestions by AI don't fulfill the purpose at all. Hence I believe we can't wear all the same shirt for sure : -)

11 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I agree, it is going to be such a tough environment in the short to medium term, the best idea is to not buy any new gear unless you really really have to. Additionally, the used market is going to be flooded with great priced gear because people will be choosing to or be forced to exit the industry. 

Only buy new gear when you really must, or in some rare exceptions when the new gear is offering something really unique or very very good value. (for example, the two exceptions in 2020 that I might consider is the BMD ATEM Mini Pro or Tentacle Track E, as I reckon there is nothing at their prices which can touch them even when buying secondhand)

You wouldn't push for a Production Camera 4K now though would you? You'd be only go for some variant of the new Pocket or URSA Mini 4.6K cameras.

Well said : )

That happened a few years ago when we had finished to shoot that feature film shot on 5DII.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

No, no, yours were meant as an exception: " except from Ironfilms awesome youtube parade in the lighting thread."

With flooding I meant the general concept of posting tons of stuff at once like an AI from outer space.:) Yours were great, like I wrote.

Speaking of AI, you lose lots of it with any of them from a double attitude: either immersed on multiple AI suggestions flooded through your browsing or simply ignoring it.

That's where a digest effort from a balanced research can help. To select the content.

At the same time when you orient some external perspective on your picking up, you're always excluding the viability of digression. That's where the contemporary interactive media counterpart flows. Who here has predilection for Deleuze? : )

I honestly don't understand how people expect to develop themselves going on unilateral frame of mind. Really. These times are also exciting for the number of possibilities they offer us to evolve, not exactly for the most recent gimmick. Hard to neglect such powerful tool as YT is, obviously, as well.