Panasonic partners with Vitaliy and PTools development team

hoodlum

This is huge!!!  I have included some of Vitaliy's responses to questions so far.  Panasonic will be joinging the thread on Monday.

[url=http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2739/the-big-thing/p1]http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/2739/the-big-thing/p1[/url]

Since today we are going to directly participate in design and development of system cameras firmware for [b]selected[/b] cameras produced by Panasonic Corporation, and DSC Business unit specifically.

Q. Do you think that information to help you with the current GH2 hack might be made available to you and the team?

A. Already working on firmware v2.0 changes. Some companies will be very upset with their $5000 cameras.

Q. Any word on Picture profiles in the 2.0 firmware?

A. Can't talk prior NAB much. But can give you a clue. You won't call them Picture profiles in v2.0.

Q. is it for the photo camera side or video or both

A. Right now - about 60% video, all the rest photo related.

Q. This all sounds a bit too good to be true

A. Not so good as I hoped.  As for many Panasonic cameras hacks still will be the only way of improvements.
Even GH2 is tough, as most developers are working now on three new cameras based on new Venus Revolution LSI.

A. I will tell only that I can. None of new cameras will write in AVCHD container anymore. None will support interlaced modes. And all will support >2Gb files, no spanning.

A. Venus Revolution is code name for new LSI, as well as name for the team who works on it's design and related software libraries. It'll be used in upcoming cameras. As for GH2. Many people told the same for GH1. Due to new features, new cameras won't be in direct competition to GH2.  After NAB 1080p60 will be considered past tense. Can't tell more, sorry.

Q. what is the duration of your agreement with Panasonic

A. RIght now till the end of Venus Revolution active life. About 2 years. Do not know anything after it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
This can be bad news for us too. Whenever a company's system has been hacked sometimes they hire the very people who hacked them to secure their system. To be honest if Panasonic wanted us to have these improvements they would not be crippling them in the first place. What is troubling is that people like Vitaly might be close to hacking more fundamental hardware limitations like uncompress HDMI out, etc, and Panasonic may decide to step in and say "look we will assist you in certain aspect of your hack which we think is ethical  and will boost sales of our product but don't go further than what we want you to do. And while you at it we will pay you and please sign on that dotted line as contract of our agreement". Not good news if you ask me.

There was a doc about the phenomenon of "planned obsolescence" on the bilingual TV-chanel ARTE (unfortunately deleted from YouTube). In it, german and french viewers could see Vitaly in the flesh, talking. His part was the hook of the story. Epson printers tended to fail after some time. If you took them to the service, they told you the repair would cost more than a new printer. Vitaly had found a chip within the printer whose sole purpose was to count the printings and, after the 1000 were reached, report malfunction. He had developed a little free software, with which you could reset the counter, so you could use the printer the next 1000 times.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=504.msg3315#msg3315 date=1333256264]To be honest if Panasonic wanted us to have these improvements they would not be crippling them in the first place.[/quote]

When the GH1 was built, it was  a lucky hour for all almost-no-budget-filmmakers. I don't think the video functions looked very promising to the developer team at that time, the outcomes must have surprised them. MFT, traditionally highly developed codec. Things fell into place. It is a little wonder. There is nothing crippled. Obsolescence, to dislike everything after some time and to look for reasons to buy new things, works both ways. The industry [i]promotes[/i] that they cripple their products to some extend to make the customers believe they need something new. They do, to some extend, cripple products. But if you look closer at the Lumix-features that you think are crippled intentionally, you will find this position of no substance.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=504.msg3315#msg3315 date=1333256264] What is troubling is that people like Vitaly might be close to hacking more fundamental hardware limitations like uncompress HDMI out, etc, and Panasonic may decide to step in and say "look we will assist you in certain aspect of your hack which we think is ethical  and will boost sales of our product but don't go further than what we want you to do.[/quote]

Take this myth, for example. HDMI is always uncompressed, by definition. The signal is passed out before the compression (the last part of the process) is applied. But to make it 10bit 422 or 444 (if that's what you meant) you'd need different software [i]and hardware[/i]. That's what a TV engineer told me. Panasonic made a camera with one of the best HD codecs (for consumers) there is, for 8-bit 420.

You [i]can[/i] capture uncompressed video onto an Atomos externally (not 720, but 1080 in i and p, it is always "i" to a monitor, but 24p is preserved). Philip Bloom tested it. Others tested it. The difference to the AVCHD on the card is hard to see, but there is a small difference, you just can't decide if to the better or worse. There is [i]no[/i] difference to the ProRes you transcode the AVCHD to in post.

I wonder, why there is no sound via live-HDMI. If, IF, this was a feature that could be changed by Vitaly, I wished he would.

On this 1st of april, I can't believe that Panasonic invites Vitaly to their team. It's true, he helped them sell their cameras. But then he baptized his hacked GH2 "Stalin", which turned out to be no irony or an april hoax. I am from Germany, if I named my camera Hitler, I would not only be hated by my blessedly multicultural neighbourhood, I would also not be able to gather a community of fans. Or so I hope.

The fight against our societys obsolescence-mechanism starts with me and you. It is our right to use products we paid for in the way we like them to use. To use them to their full capacity and beyond. Let's not lament about the evil industry. Let's start doing what we [i]can[/i] do, for real.

[quote author=Axel link=topic=504.msg3318#msg3318 date=1333267192]
There was a doc about the phenomenon of "planned obsolescence" on the bilingual TV-chanel ARTE (unfortunately deleted from YouTube).[/quote]

I found it in french.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GlzYHqpjw#ws]Prêt à jeter - 2011/02/15 - Arte[/url]

The part with Vitaly starts at 1h3m15s.