Looking For Cheap Alternatives

Zach Goodwin2

Edmika closed it's doors and their mounts aren't as reliable as I once thought. I only have a broken mount 35-105 F/3.5 after my camera slid and fell on the ground. Can one of you all help me find an alternative lens for this list of lenses in M42, Old Nikon Mount, and Olympus OM Mount? As for the zoom lenses I am looking for, I'd like there to be a constant zoom aperture, meaning that the aperture does not change if I were to zoom with it.

nFD 135 f/2.8
nFD 100mm F/2.8
nFD 85mm f/1.8
nFD 50mm F/1.4
nFD 35mm F/2.8
nFD 28mm F/2
nFD 24mm F/2.8
nFD 35-105mm F/3.5 macro
nFD 70-210mm f/4

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would think any camera lens is not going to do well after falling from a height onto the ground, not just edmika's

Is  the edmika a mount or rehoused lens ? cant say i know much about them

Not sure i'd give up on the fd glass so soon, Maybe search around for another edmika, but that may take awhile to find. Or maybe go to another 2nd hand camera body that easily adapts to fd glass. There's always the chance that another edmika mount may be tighter or looser.

Depending on how keen you are maybe get a new part machined depending on whats broken but machining is generally  not cheap

1 hour ago, leslie said:

I would think any camera lens is not going to do well after falling from a height onto the ground, not just edmika's

Is  the edmika a mount or rehoused lens ? cant say i know much about them

Not sure i'd give up on the fd glass so soon, Maybe search around for another edmika, but that may take awhile to find. Or maybe go to another 2nd hand camera body that easily adapts to fd glass. There's always the chance that another edmika mount may be tighter or looser.

Depending on how keen you are maybe get a new part machined depending on whats broken but machining is generally  not cheap

What happened was that the lens was on a dresser and the mount chipped off with the lens when it fell between a bedside and the dresser. The mount broke off and the lens is fine though.

11 hours ago, Zach Goodwin2 said:

Edmika closed it's doors and their mounts aren't as reliable as I once thought. I only have a broken mount 35-105 F/3.5 after my camera slid and fell on the ground. Can one of you all help me find an alternative lens for this list of lenses in M42, Old Nikon Mount, and Olympus OM Mount? As for the zoom lenses I am looking for, I'd like there to be a constant zoom aperture, meaning that the aperture does not change if I were to zoom with it.

nFD 135 f/2.8
nFD 100mm F/2.8
nFD 85mm f/1.8
nFD 50mm F/1.4
nFD 35mm F/2.8
nFD 28mm F/2
nFD 24mm F/2.8
nFD 35-105mm F/3.5 macro
nFD 70-210mm f/4

Pick two or three of those focal lengths and buy quality lenses instead of trying to buy 9 cheap and poor quality ones.

Then go film something.

Even better yet, buy one really nice lens, then go film things and never look back and never take it off your camera.

Personally, I think FD lenses CAN be a bit of a pain due to the mount (same as some of the Minolta MC lenses) but optically they are fine, just as are all the old legacy lenses from Nikon, Pentax, Olympus and the third party lenses in those mounts as well as Minolta and Canon and others.    The new FD mount lenses are better than the earlier ones (in ease of use).

The FD lenses to get that make it worth while and a difference are the L versions and especially those that use a hand ground aspheric elements or Fluorite elements in longer lenses.     

The biggest factor in buying any old lens is how each individual lens has been treated as well as how it was made ....most likely more copy variation thirty or forty years ago plus many could have been dropped or thrown around ETC...has it got fungus ...all sorts of things.

I found out that the brass adapter for the EF mount is best suited for the situation and I made a list of OM mount lenses I could use and these will be my back-up lenses and are a lot easier to replace than Edmika FD:

OM 50mm F/1.8 (I already own)
OM 85mm F/2
OM 28-70 F/2.8 (I already own)
OM 70-210 F/3.5
OM to EF Brass adapter

I rarely have anything on my P4k other than old manual Nikon lenses. The 85mm f/1.4 is possibly my favourite. The 35-105mm zoom has a very poor reputation but is convenient and fun (and very cheap). I will add that although I have the Nikon primes from 24mm through to 135mm I rarely use most of them. So get a couple of decent examples and get out and use them!