New Leica Compatible EF Adapter From Fotodiox

BTM_Pix

• Super Members

So it looks like Fotodiox have managed to do what Sigma couldn't (or more likely Leica wouldn't let them) achieve and make an EF adapter that actually works with the SL/T/CL cameras.

There are quite a few disclaimers in the product description regarding varying performance with different lenses so buyer beware but varying performance is still some advance on the zero performance that Leica allows with either MC-21.

Hopefully this might encourage the actual members of the L mount alliance to sort their shit out and make the MC-21s compatible.

At $200 its 20% cheaper than the Sigma too.

https://fotodioxpro.com/collections/leica-t-tl-sl-adapters/products/ef-lt-fsn

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Do you remember the translucent mirror phase detect AF adapter for Sony A7S... Gave the camera phase-detect AF with the old SLR lenses... That's what the L mount cameras need ;)

Geez Andrew, don't wish THAT thing on them.

Can not see them doing that because that was a Sony mount lens on Sony camera solution and even then it has a lot of limitations, it would be great for L mount users though if they did it and it was much better than the old LA-EA# adapters.

They would/should be able to do a much improved version of those Sony type adapters by now I think but the ones that work for fast AF to get phase detect AF in a contrast detect camera need a mirror in the adapter.    There are four LA-EA adapters, two for APSC and two for FF and only two of them had a mirror with the other two being slow contrast detect AF and only with lenses that have an AF motor.

Ok, maybe the LA-EA4 isn't THAT bad and AF was ok for stills....was a bit more limited for video.      I sold my LA-EA4 and A mount 85 2.8 lens (a surprisingly god lens for quite cheap) when my first A7s broke.      I now have a second A7s but I would only get another LA-EA# if I came across a seriously under valued  first class lens I needed/wanted (plus I still have a nice old Sigma AF 180 5.6 macro in A mount I can  not use).   

Given just how much optics have improved over the last decade or so, I would also like to see something like the even older Sigma adapters from the film days that auto focused manual focus lenses on A mount cameras (Sigma made one for MD/MC Minolta lenses and another for Nikon F lenses on A mount...how on earth could they do THAT then without a lawsuit?) ...there were a few others for other mounts ....the Pentax 1.7x auto focus adapter turned my old ancient manual focus 300 2.8 into a fast AF 510mm  4.8 lens   These old adapters used glass elements that moved to focus the lens attached and some had only small drop in image quality ....Nikon made a couple of them too that work almost as well as the Pentax one I think.

I do get frustrated when using my EF mount Sigma 150 2.8 macro on the A7s when it comes to AF adapted as it is slow and stuttering as it racks back and forth but such a lovely lens I use it as MF mostly.

• Super Members
37 minutes ago, noone said:

Given just how much optics have improved over the last decade or so, I would also like to see something like the even older Sigma adapters from the film days that auto focused manual focus lenses on A mount cameras (Sigma made one for MD/MC Minolta lenses and another for Nikon F lenses on A mount...how on earth could they do THAT then without a lawsuit?) ...there were a few others for other mounts ....the Pentax 1.7x auto focus adapter turned my old ancient manual focus 300 2.8 into a fast AF 510mm  4.8 lens   These old adapters used glass elements that moved to focus the lens attached and some had only small drop in image quality ....Nikon made a couple of them too that work almost as well as the Pentax one I think.

I do get frustrated when using my EF mount Sigma 150 2.8 macro on the A7s when it comes to AF adapted as it is slow and stuttering as it racks back and forth but such a lovely lens I use it as MF mostly.

The TechArt PRO E mount AF adapter will give you the same thing without optics and although its meant for smaller lenses, with a larger lens, like your Sigma, which has a tripod collar it still works very well.

Here it is with a bit of an extreme example !

If TechArt could make this in L mount (2mm less to play with) then they would get a lot of sales off Leica owners wanting AF of their M mount lenses.

6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The TechArt PRO E mount AF adapter will give you the same thing without optics and although its meant for smaller lenses, with a larger lens, like your Sigma, which has a tripod collar it still works very well.

Here it is with a bit of an extreme example !

If TechArt could make this in L mount (2mm less to play with) then they would get a lot of sales off Leica owners wanting AF of their M mount lenses.

The tech art pro needs a PDAF camera though doesn't it?.    The original A7s is CDAF only so no adapter works that good for AF...It is ok for static things and people that can stand still for a few seconds but not anything beyond that.     If I got a later model FE camera I would get it or a similar adapter.    I have three different AF adapters, a Commlite that does not even mount on my A7s (old or new) probably will to an older NEX,  a Metabones IV and a cheap Fotga ....I like the fotga the most because its AF works as well and it also has a little ledge that can take the filter glass from 43mm filters so I can use things like an IR filter of that size instead of spending a mint on one for my 17 mm TSE.    My holy grail would be an apodization filter to go with a portrait lens.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, noone said:

The tech art pro needs a PDAF camera though doesn't it?.    

They state that is PDAF only but it does actually work on CDAF but work is very relative term as its slow and doesn't alway lock.

So I'd call it shit and miss rather than hit and miss !

Fotodiox did their own "version" of it which was so, erm, similar to the TechArt one that you could use the same firmware on it.....

So with the release of this new L mount adapter its clear they've got the camera end of the puzzle as well so it may well be that they can produce an L mount version.

Incidentally, I now have a suspicion about how they might have (sneakily) achieved this feat of getting around Leica's outright rejection of the MC21 and it has tempered my optimism of Sigma releasing a firmware update to make my MC21 do similarly.

7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

They state that is PDAF only but it does actually work on CDAF but work is very relative term as its slow and doesn't alway lock.

So I'd call it shit and miss rather than hit and miss !

Fotodiox did their own "version" of it which was so, erm, similar to the TechArt one that you could use the same firmware on it.....

So with the release of this new L mount adapter its clear they've got the camera end of the puzzle as well so it may well be that they can produce an L mount version.

Incidentally, I now have a suspicion about how they might have (sneakily) achieved this feat of getting around Leica's outright rejection of the MC21 and it has tempered my optimism of Sigma releasing a firmware update to make my MC21 do similarly.

I am sure as technology advances it will all come together ...just might take a while.

I have one of those old Sigma auto focus adapters for MD/MC lenses on A mount cameras.    I tried putting it on a LA-EA4 and mountng it on my A7s but alas (aside from the large lumps on the adapters), I could not get it to work.      If I ever get back to it, I would not mind finding a cheap A mount camera to try it on but I think it might only work on a couple of very early A mount DSLRs and my only remaining MD mount lens is a 50 f2 so probably not worth trying now (I just like playing around with gadgets),

• 2 weeks later...