Coronavirus and our industry

FranciscoB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Emanuel said:

He's a nice guy. I personally dislike to see him in any circus, including those he's used to vastly fall in love and dream about. He's merely a dreamer. Harmless type.

Exactly. 

Why are you picking on him? 

Posting some Photoshopped pictures of a random, innocent guy without him knowing about it? 

C'mon, would you like to be bullied like this on, let's say, REDuser.net? Only because you shared some ideas that not all people back up? 

• Super Members

Really?

OK, in the interests of not being drawn into this any further I've deleted the picture but I'm going to reply to the criticism.

What I'll say is that my knowledge of him goes way back to when I was one of the original RED ONE owners so if you think this is some fleeting and very recent random encounter with his "work" then you are very mistaken.

If you want to go in to bat for this innocent, harmless dreamer and talk of bullying then go and re-read the page for his latest film.

I don't mean just read the synopsis, read the detail, consider what it actually means and put yourself in the position of a young actress desperate to get a break into films.

As for REDUser, again, go and have a look at the reaction on there to this latest project.

Having said all that, I'm sorry if any of you were offended by the photoshopping of Joe Exotic's hair onto the head of a man ostentatiously posing in front of his collection of camera equipment.

I blame this momentary lapse of taste and decency on that bitch Carole Baskin.

End.

10 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

If you want to go in to bat for this innocent, harmless dreamer and talk of bullying then go and re-read the page for his latest film.

Haven't been around on Reduser for as long as @BTM_Pix but I have been on there for years and years, and I am still checking in quite often. And if you read and follow the threads his participates in, then it often seems to me that the bullying is largely a one way street....  with him bullying other reduser posters! All over some puffed up or imagined offense. When no such abusive offense was ever intended. 

If someone posted a video and I suggest that "hey, perhaps an on camera mic shouldn't have been used?" Especially as it is just a simple sit down interview, a cheap Deity lav hardwired into the camera could solve this!

Would that count as "bullying" for offering some gentle constructive criticism and a solution? 

• Super Members

To return to the original question in the post...

Ultimately, of course, everything is about money and with the WTO saying today that we are likely looking at 1930s Great Depression era levels of financial crisis when we emerge from this then its not looking great.

In such a time, you would think that realtive frivolity such as films, music, books etc would be the first to go but there has been a huge recognition during these lockdowns how much more difficult people would have found it to cope if they hadn't had those things to distract them so their importance has actually been amplified.

Whilst that importance means they will go on, they can't exist in a financial vacuum so budgets will inevitably be tighter as a potentially bigger appetite for content will have to be served from a much reduced overall sum.

As we are looking to financial times from the past then we might see TV processes from the past returning too such as when the BBC for example used to do a lot of live productions of drama etc.

There is some interesting stuff going on in much lower cost emulation of the virtual production techniques showcased in The Mandalorian and that will become very important in cutting costs. 

As with everything, change will bring new opportunities.

One of which might well be shooting background plates/modelling environments for productions using these virtual techniques to save on location shooting.

• Administrators
12 hours ago, Emanuel said:

He's a nice guy. I personally dislike to see him in any circus, including those he's used to vastly fall in love and dream about. He's merely a dreamer. Harmless type.

I like eccentric characters and dreamers. Berlin in the old days was full of them. I think Ketch is a character that deserves further investigation and exploration. It is not a witch hunt. It isn't a circus. It's just banter and I don't think myself or BTM_Pix or anyone else in the filmmaking community should have to seek approval from Ketch. It's freedom of speech and freedom of Photoshopping Joe Exotic's hair.

At the same time, if somebody very purposefully puts themselves into the limelight so knowingly, trying to make money or a film out of coronavirus, they have to expect the attention.

Personally I only see the comedy of it!

You're right, it is harmless.... But somewhat hilarious as well. A cheerleader, slasher, coronavirus movie!?

Seems we all have different opinions and experiences about him. Let alone reduser... : ) Maybe he wouldn't be so bothered with the fact he's the focus of a thread which topic is coronavirus and this industry or maybe not. Who knows? I usually remind his trouble to survive his health issues instead. As well I can't celebrate a much distant opinion from my own on eccentric ideas I see his persona to carry on either. The only one I find to me. I just don't want to be somewhat involved as Pontius Pilate, curiously in this date, today. Exactly because of a very personal position for the subject matter, a really friendly personality he also is and our private real world we all live out here. I have no idea where a few, some or even all of you were when happens to read EOSHD or especially you Andrew to have been criticized on dvxuser and reduser in the past but I know and proudly recall identical behaviour of mine there from day one.

In the same way I wouldn't endorse or take this James Franco's work as his ultimate contribution to the humankind : ) No matter how timely such portrait may end to actually be or bio crosses silly fame-seeking.

E : -)

16 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Somebody should do a documentary on the guy, Tiger King style.

He's making a documentary about himself: https://afroditefilms.com/chroniclesofketchrossi   he kind of reminds me of Bhagavan Antle from Tiger King - benevolent and almost like a god. He does seem like quite a legend - he said he wants to produce, direct, dp and act in his coronavirus film, as well as cook for cast and crew every day. Not even Tommy Wiseau was capable of taking on quite that many roles on his film. 

I'm sure he's a very nice person (at least from what I'd read in the past), but I'm just not sure about some of his ideas.

Here in Melbourne all high end production of drama and sport shut down about two months ago, every freelancer I know except news crews, are out of work. Some of the major sports bodies in Oz such as AFL and NRL have shown that they pissed against the wall the rivers of gold that the networks had been paying them for the television rights over the last 10-15 years, and only today Network 9 lashed out at the NRL for being fools with the money they mismanaged as some teams won’t survive the year. When things get back to normal, or what we once knew as normal, there is no way known that sport will receive the money it once commanded when they re-negotiate with networks or pay television. I think quality television/film drama and similar productions will start again where they left off. I’m semi-retired at the age of 65 and slightly insulated, but like a lot of my fellow freelancers I’m taking the time to service my equipment, organise my last 10 years of bits and pieces I’ve collected and throw out what I don’t need, and learn new software such as Davinci Resolve. I and most of my freelance/ part time/ casual colleagues I’ve worked with over the journey have experienced the “Turn up Monday Morning” to be told that nothing’s happening for a month or two because the network or production company liquidated last night, or the production you were working on got canned. So I guess nothings really changed for me for the remainder of the year as I always invoiced accordingly to my ability in the past, but I predict only 50% of freelancers will survive the rest of the year in Melbourne…just sayin’

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Like the rape movie?

No idea, never seen it nor had even a wish for, to be sincere. But there are several ones on same topic. Why should his be an offense? Because of the topic?

I remember when Portuguese people didn't like to know Portuguese origin offenders (should the good old Azores, their people and venerable culture be blamed as well?) had been accused in the U.S. of such ignoble gang-rape crime, hence the infamous stain, a true story based on this Jodie Foster's film in the role of a Portuguese American victim (so, same origin) too:

The true accused and the true accusers (Portuguese article) -- translated to English here

IIRC Ketch had told to the world he had also been victim of some brutal story of sexual abuse from his own experience of life.

The Internet is a scary place. I learned a lot from Ketch's experience on what to do and what not to do and the ugly power of viral notoriety. He himself admitted to a few mistakes, but my heart definitely goes out to the guy for the reactions he had to face. I think a sort of perfect storm got created by a combination of his high profile on reduser (11,000+ posts), the fact that it was shot on Dragon, the fact that he had the support of Red, and definitely by the perceived tone from several of his answers. There is a reason why humbleness, even of the fake variety, is highly praised trait in this industry. I also know that this american-style humbleness and down-to-earth-ness as practiced by many in the film industry (think of Tom Hanks as an ideal) sometimes clashes completely with other cultures. I think Ketch's nitroglycerine enthusiasm got mis-perceived by many people who don't know him from this forum.

Here are some of the deleted comments. Please read them with a proper understanding and context. I myself have found myself at the center of a few sh*t storms, but nothing on this scale. The bottom line I think is that one has to be very careful of what one writes and posts on these forums.

Quoted from here:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?107770-Whatever-happened-to-Ketch-Rossi-s-The-Red-Dress-short-I-wanted-to-watch-it!&p=1278778&viewfull=1#post1278778

And here's more about the most recent developments of the story:

The plot's peak:

All this is a bit personally funny and curious for me, once I am in a middle of an attempt to gather RED support for this piece of work, a feature doc mainly shot on RED:

4 hours ago, Alpicat said:

He's making a documentary about himself: https://afroditefilms.com/chroniclesofketchrossi   he kind of reminds me of Bhagavan Antle from Tiger King - benevolent and almost like a god. He does seem like quite a legend - he said he wants to produce, direct, dp and act in his coronavirus film, as well as cook for cast and crew every day. Not even Tommy Wiseau was capable of taking on quite that many roles on his film. 

I'm just glad he is not trying to do sound as well!

Or maybe that is because he's completely forgotten about sound being needed.....

3 hours ago, harry henry said:

but I predict only 50% of freelancers will survive the rest of the year in Melbourne…just sayin’

Where will they go though? And what will happen to their gear?
I expect we'll see a few rental houses across the world going bankrupt too.