Coronavirus and our industry

FranciscoB

Hello everyone,
As production is continuing to shut down and the remaining ones are working will skeleton crews, as webcam interviews are now common and other ways to reduce crews and increase safety, what do you think the industry will learn from all this social distancing and the coronavirus?
Do you think crews will all be the same as usual or this method of multitasking will increase in the future, as it was kind of already going in that direction?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think a bunch of people might be a little surprised that the film-makers that feel this the least will be the people who create content in their own home studios.  This means YouTube, but also people that create paid content such as courses and other in-house productions behind paywalls.

Film-making was a team sport until it wasn't.

People might also learn how to get decent audio and video of themselves, although judging from this mornings virtual team meeting in my corporate day-job, maybe not....  

• Administrators

The demand for higher quality webcams just increased. Also, better quality laptop webcams (but problem is the thin lid, most are even thinner than a smartphone)

But main issue is the online part... All compressed to hell and ugly as hell. Especially Skype, Facetime, etc.

Looking at the news, the other thing that needs to be fixed is the angle of the webcam. They all point up people's noses!

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The demand for higher quality webcams just increased. Also, better quality laptop webcams (but problem is the thin lid, most are even thinner than a smartphone)

But main issue is the online part... All compressed to hell and ugly as hell. Especially Skype, Facetime, etc.

Looking at the news, the other thing that needs to be fixed is the angle of the webcam. They all point up people's noses!

So true. The higher end web cams have also gone way up in price. Everywhere is sold out and eBay is marked way up. 

New York Times worked with the webcam footage in a cool way. 

https://www.nytimes.com/video/health/100000007056651/covid-ards-acute-respiratory-distress-syndrome.html?smid=pl-share

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 11.31.17 AM.png

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, Snowfun said:

This is bizarre and slightly tragic...

https://afroditefilms.com/deadlyascorona

An unfortunate response of someone (apparently)  within the industry to the current crisis.

I remember him from Reduser back in the day.

He didn't so much drink the RED Koolaid as got a franchise for his own bottling plant.

I'm presuming he's going to shoot his latest film at his "Tree Of Life" campus...

469040526_treeoflife.thumb.jpg.b832a0a1939de06f0f010228782014e4.jpg

On 4/6/2020 at 10:58 PM, FranciscoB said:

Do you think crews will all be the same as usual or this method of multitasking will increase in the future, as it was kind of already going in that direction?

I expect producers will be pushing further to reduce crews to save costs, with cover of the "health & safety" excuse. 

Making the cameraman doing sound as well, or getting someone unskilled locally to do the job cheaply rather than bringing in the right person from out of town who has the expertise. 

Already been seeing this happen in response to COVID-19

11 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I've seen a number of the higher production quality "shows" record the stream from their camera so they get the benefits of being able to do something live, but then get a much higher quality image for when the final thing is published.  Obviously that requires transfer of files, editing to replace the compressed version, but it certainly creates a nicer finished product.

I don't know what tech they used to do it, but it sure is obvious when they do!

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

This isn't Coronavirus related, but happened just before in the months previous, but it does make the situation for even more grim for DIY indie filmmakers:

Tugg / Distribber / GoDigital all have shut down. 

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/do-it-yourself-releasing-platform-tugg-1203503740/

Really nice departing message from the TUGG owner, hope he stays in the industry if possible. 

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Really nice departing message from the TUGG owner, hope he stays in the industry if possible. 

It was.  Integrity is hard to find and he seems to have it in spades.

It's well known in start-up businesses that not every idea works and not every business can sustain itself, and this is taken into account.  After having built a business that lasted 9 years there will be a lot of people who will see that achievement and it will help him in the next company he wants to start.  Someone who has gone bankrupt once has learned one more lesson about what not to do than someone who has never tried, or has just been lucky.

50 minutes ago, kye said:

Someone who has gone bankrupt once has learned one more lesson about what not to do than someone who has never tried, or has just been lucky.

It is good to have such a positive attitude about bankruptcy, not all countries are like that (definitely not NZ). Think this is somewhat unique in the USA, which is a beneficial feature I suspect, as it allow people the freedom to take risks and succeed (or fail).

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

It is good to have such a positive attitude about bankruptcy, not all countries are like that (definitely not NZ). Think this is somewhat unique in the USA, which is a beneficial feature I suspect, as it allow people the freedom to take risks and succeed (or fail).

I suspect it's pretty unique to there, and probably to Silicone Valley (and maybe a few other pockets too).  I don't imagine it's like that here in Australia either.

It does make sense from a risk perspective though, when you're making an investment the rider who has ridden a horse but fell off badly might still be a better rider than someone who has never ridden before.

• Administrators
21 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I remember him from Reduser back in the day.

He didn't so much drink the RED Koolaid as got a franchise for his own bottling plant.

I'm presuming he's going to shoot his latest film at his "Tree Of Life" campus...

469040526_treeoflife.thumb.jpg.b832a0a1939de06f0f010228782014e4.jpg

Looks like slasher Ketch has found a way to snare some teen cheerleaders on webcams.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Looks like slasher Ketch has found a way to snare some teen cheerleaders on webcams.

He does have form when it comes to controversial themes.

I remember he was always going on about a feature he was going to make and then I think RED loaned him an early DRAGON to do a short version of it.

Not sure how successful product placement has ever worked out for any company in a film about, erm, rape but it didn't end well and all trace of it has now disappeared.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?315091-I-don-t-even-know-where-to-begin-with-this-Overreaction-or-delusion

Ketch got a Dragon because he's Ketch, lol. There isn't much mystery about that part of the equation. In regards to the project, I can't see it...the Youtube video is removed.

Quoted from here which sums up pretty well the whole thing:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?315091-I-don-t-even-know-where-to-begin-with-this-Overreaction-or-delusion&p=1986372984&viewfull=1#post1986372984