Recording Martial Arts classes for student review

mcnoodles

Hi, 

I would really appreciate any advice or direction on the following:

For a Kickboxing/MMA/BJJ gym I wanted to have 3 or 4 cameras set up that can record the training and class from several viewpoints. (Fixed cameras)

I would want the resolution and FPS to capture quality footage.

I would like to have the footage uploaded automatically (or manually) to a cloud so members could log in and review.

'....

I can not afford to spend a fortune, though I also understand you only get what you pay for.

If anyone can get me a little closer to a solution or have an idea on how to set up I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Scotty

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Choosing and setting up cameras is possibly the easy part, it's the uploading, distribution and use of the footage that will be challenging.

This is for a few reasons:

• If you're recording a decent amount then the files will be large (an hour of footage is likely to be 25Gb+ from each camera)
  • That can be reduced by compressing the footage at your end before uploading, but that's a lot of exporting so will take hours of render time on any reasonably priced computer
  • Did you want the different angles of the footage to be used in a synchronised way?  ie, someone looking at themselves from multiple angles.  If so, they will have to find and synchronise the footage themselves, or you will have to do it before uploading.  Either way it's a bit of work to align them.

On the plus side, if they are only looking at the footage to study their form or for their personal improvement then the angles and lighting and stuff won't matter so much, whereas for the normal way that people shoot (where they want it to look spectacular) then that involves all kinds of other aspects that aren't required of reference footage.

On 4/5/2020 at 2:05 PM, mcnoodles said:I would really appreciate any advice or direction on the following:can not afford to spend a fortune, though I also understand you only get what you pay for.

If anyone can get me a little closer to a solution or have an idea on how to set up I would greatly appreciate it.

Set up OBS to output a 4-camera multiview shot (without it titles and other overlays). Live stream the multi shot view to YouTube or Vimeo. Save recording and share with students. Easy one and done. 

I haven’t used OBS much so I can’t confirm if it can do that, but I know Wirecast and Livestream Studio 6 can and OBS is free so it’s worth checking that first. 

Alternatively you can use the same software to just film it as a 4-up 4K multi cam shot and record that to a file. From that you can extract 4x HD angles if you want to edit something with a single view or let people watch it as-is.