Why is Sony IBIS so bad?

newfoundmass

19 hours ago, noone said:

Another thing i forgot to say.....People should not really compare  how well they can hold a camera they are familiar with of their own against one they just use for a few minutes (or even days).      At least I know that I do better with a camera the more I use it regardless of how well its IBIS or in lens works or even if no stabilization.

Now, that! Totally agree. Until my Lumix G6 gave up on me I enjoyed it a big deal to practice eloquent handheld shooting. No Ibis and vintage lenses. What opened my eyes was the 2x digizoom. Lineskipping gave me a very fast readout and I felt like a smooth operator.  Of course it was an aliasing party:) Maybe a 8ms readout would be perfect for smooth handheld action up to 50mm on s35 format.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I had this camera.  Shot a few docs on it.  GREAT camera.  Man, the image was just so pretty.  I'd say better than the GH5 in some regards.  Never messed around with the IBIS though.  No need.  Still, if anyone wants to buy a cheap and awesome 1080 mirrorless cam, I'd recommend giving the GX7 some consideration.  

Hey fuzzy, yeah, it is still confusing to me that this camera has such awesome colour out of the box. Best of all MFT cameras I´ve "studied" on vimeo over the years. Some tempting mojo. If it had a 50mbit codec I would get one. People used to state, the G6 sensor and video was the same. But it was not, by far. Now, G6 graded, is another story and another joy for the 8bit adventurer:)

Back to IBIS. Practice has its purpose, making handheldshots appear like they were done with a heavy camera plus that 2second bonus moment of gimbal heaven or curse.

18 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

this camera has such awesome colour out of the box. Best of all MFT cameras I´ve "studied" on vimeo over the years. Some tempting mojo.

I was a somewhat new user on EOSHD running with a 5DII back then and the chatter here by Andrew led me to buy it.  Solid recommendation then, still good today depending on your wants/needs.

Another anecdote.  Gave the Gx7 to my 14 year old nephew at my wedding and told him to get stills of my family's smiling faces at the reception. We put the Oly 45mm at f1.8 on there and set it to point and shoot.  The kid got better shots than the Pro photog we had running around.  Proof to me that it's often the skill of interacting with people that's sometimes most important.

22 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey fuzzy, yeah, it is still confusing to me that this camera has such awesome colour out of the box. Best of all MFT cameras I´ve "studied" on vimeo over the years. Some tempting mojo. If it had a 50mbit codec I would get one. People used to state, the G6 sensor and video was the same. But it was not, by far. Now, G6 graded, is another story and another joy for the 8bit adventurer:)

What is your approach to shooting and grading Panasonic G6 footage?

@fuzzynormal GX7 and Oly 45, what a beautiful photog combo. Awesome lens, great image wide open. Mine is silver, hardly used it over the years due to its attraction seeking colour. If GX7 had a higher grip instead of ending after two thirds of the height, I would have gotten it instead of the G6. One pretty outfit, prettiest mft camera in my opinion, besides GF1 and GM1.

@IronFilm Shooting wise I used to dial in color temp manually. That way I had to correct a lot of times for pleasing results. I work very obsessively with curves, interacting, counteracting on certain color attributes, gaing desirable effects and correcting unpleasant ones, a lot of times working from right to left to right to left with the nodes. I create an "emulsion" first that way, then cc, then grade, with the emulsion often including the latter. In my opinion G6 sauce lies in working the blue channel, lifting shadows and lowering highlights, and then correcting undesired effects infront of the node. Profile used to be Natural with -2 on all parameters and contrast at 0. Nowdays I enjoy it a big deal to create the look incamera when shooting 709. So much fun to WB a sunset a 10000K in the Vivid profile. My G6 gave up on me this fall. Was a great mate and tool to learn video or film so to say.

Now back to ibis:) Super wide angle works better with movement, static handheld shots always give warping madness of strong geometric attributes due to perspective. It is not IBIS´fault, neither from Panny, Oly or Sony:)