Huawei P40 Pro

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The DXOMark review compared the detail of the 18mm shot to the digitally zoomed in 16mm and 13mm shots. I now doubt the credibility of their whole review process. They do the same with telephoto shots - compare the native vs digitally zoomed in from competitors.

I'm sure this is the best camera on a phone right now, but not by that big of a margin. Too bad about the proprietary memory cards and lack of GMS.

• Administrators

I think I understand why they do it.

On some phones for example a 3x or 5x zoom is only achievable with a digital zoom and upscaling. On some it is assisted by longer optics AND digital zoom from higher resolution sensor. Well, it's an unfair comparison and it isn't... It does show up the phones that are limited compositions beyond 2x. It shows how much resolution they have in reserve for cropping too. Also digital zooms are a key part of the AI and image processing on all phones these days, much more of a key ability than on our pro stills cameras that are 42MP+

I wish they had compared it to the Mate 30 Pro. Also the shots in general seem less adventurous than previously.

Maybe they had to do this review under lockdown.

Which would be ironic as the guy who wrote up this DXO article is Lars Rehm, an ex-friend of mine who decided to point the finger at me when I posted the Barcelona empty street shots on Facebook... Rather than ask if I was ok being stuck in a pandemic... his chief concern was that I was encouraging people to take photos during an emergency and lockdown. What a twit.

It would be funny if he then went out on the streets and took a load of photos himself with the P40 Pro :)