Autocue for beginners...

Snowfun

Given the heat generated by some of the recent threads this is rather prosaic. University lectures are now all online so I’m doing some filming to make this more interesting and attractive for the students (most academic staff here think an online lecture is making a pdf of a PowerPoint available...)

Is there any easy way of using an iPad (mounted close to and above the camera), plus a remote device to scroll text to simulate an autocue? Just needs a simple start scrolling/stop scrolling function so the speaker maintains control. 
I can use my iPhone to scroll remotely  text on the laptop but I’d rather use an iPad for the text. 
Happy to spend €€ but not for a proper autocue (€€€€).

Yes, ultimately this is just “new toys” whilst being bored at home but at least it’s related to work...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

You Trump hating fake news motherfu......

Sorry, wrong thread.

Here is a guide to iOS versions, some of which can be used with games controllers which look like OK options if you have a PS4 controller around etc. 

There are a few whole kits on Amazon with the shoot through glass but who knows when they will be able to deliver.

https://telepromptermirror.com/ipad-teleprompter-apps/

• Super Members
Just now, Snowfun said:

Yes... but I’m not sure I want to drain my Destiny 2  playing batteries...

Thanks - will look through the options.

Yeah, I hadn't notice that this one has the far more acceptable bluetooth keyboard option as well

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/teleprompter-premium/id941070561#?platform=ipad

I've seen a few setups that I thought (?) ran of iPads and used speech recognition to scroll automatically?  it's not that difficult a technical challenge these days.

I didn't look at them in full detail as I'm not in the market for one, but I do remember thinking that it was a solved challenge and wasn't that difficult to get a good setup.

21 hours ago, kye said:

I've seen a few setups that I thought (?) ran of iPads and used speech recognition to scroll automatically?  it's not that difficult a technical challenge these days.

I didn't look at them in full detail as I'm not in the market for one, but I do remember thinking that it was a solved challenge and wasn't that difficult to get a good setup.

I have the prompt smart pro app (for android) and it does have that voice-follow feature. Been using it a lot lately. Sometimes it is glitchy. Also, they went from a one-time purchase of $20 to a yearly subscription model of $30 per year. 

It's a pretty good app overall and if you have a long script, then it might not be so bad. I think it is best for people who are adept at reading scripts because if the talent messes up, it is probably harder to back up then other teleptrompt apps. So if the talent is new to reading a script and will mess up a lot, then an app that is easier to "rewind" will be better.

Although I think they might have a bluetooth-based scroller than can be used on a separate phone so that you can reqind / skip forward if you mess up.

Prompt Smart pro is pretty good in that if they talent goes off script for a while and then goes back on script, the teleprompter will keep up with them. Meaning, it will pause in place when the talent goes off script, and start scrolling again when the talent gets back on script. Again, this is probably most usable for someone who is adept at reading scripts but also likes to make comments "on the fly" while recording.

• 3 months later...

You can absolutely use your ipad to do this, but you need a mirror set up of some type. 

Having a true mirrored prompter set up with the camera shooting from behind the text really is essential for it to look right.
Check out amazon and ebay and look through the cheaper options and find reviews of those. There are some nice basic ones out there. 

The ipad works great with a bluetooth remote as well. We have one that can slow down/speed up the text scroll speed as well as pause, restart, etc.

Ipad prompters can be a great option if your talent is fine to see/read something that size.