UPDATE: James Miller removes optical low-pass filter from 5D Mark III for resolution increase / new footage

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
D800E while have no AA filter and produces sharper stills it will make aliasing even worse thanthe already bad D800 because unlike the 5DIII the downsampling is not a perfect pixel binning 3x3.
[quote author=TJB link=topic=501.msg3284#msg3284 date=1333218281]
Or for $200 less just grab yourself a Nikon 800E. I'm passing on the 5DMK3 and sticking with the MK2 and a newly acquired GH2. The 5DMK2 for people shots and the GH2 for deep depth of field landscape shots. Pity though that the Unified and Vanilla patches don't work so well in HBR 25p mode.
Anyone know of patches that are stable with HBR 25p?
[/quote]

Has 5DIII really has a strong AA filter that affect stills too?
I'm curious because in many stills image tests 5DIII is sharper than 5D2 which is known to have a very weak AA filter.
Regardless it would seem taking this filter off produces a much more detailed video and I think Canon must decide to either replace it with a weaker one or remove it altogether and release two versions of 5DIII, one with and one without filter. It could even be early adopters had strong filters fitted because videos from preproduction models look fab. Can you imagine putting it through grading? We know how good it is with strong filter but without and after grading it should be even better than a hacked GH2 for sharpness ;)

[quote author=brice link=topic=501.msg3307#msg3307 date=1333240640]
Sorry for being harsh, just not my cup of tea. But I am wondering what all was done to the screenshot? Given that the text was embedded in the file you worked with, I am wondering why the text looks like it has a slight Gaussian Blur applied?
[/quote]

Hey brice, no worries. It was sharpened in PPro CS5.5 using the "Sharpen" filter (convolution), some RGB curves, then an organic GPU accelerated film grain was added (real-time): [url=http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?278876-Film-Grain-Real-time-GPU-PPro-CS5-5.]http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?278876-Film-Grain-Real-time-GPU-PPro-CS5-5.[/url] The text was originally slightly blurry, but got sharp after sharpening, blurred it in Photoshop before saving to JPG for the web.

You kind of raised a good point: I should have just matched the WITHOUT-OLPF image sharpness.

... "It does seem like a particularly strong optical low pass filter on this camera, which produces very soft results in video mode."

This AA filter is designed to blur image down to 22 MP. It will never affect softness off low-res 2 MP video frame.

[quote author=Vlad3D link=topic=501.msg3321#msg3321 date=1333270282]
... "It does seem like a particularly strong optical low pass filter on this camera, which produces very soft results in video mode."

This AA filter is designed to blur image down to 22 MP. It will never affect softness off low-res 2 MP video frame.
[/quote]

I thought that too, but there might be an increase in perceived sharpness if the edges are harder. For the AA filter to affect video mode, it would have to sacrifice the stills sharpness, which just isn't the case.

To my eye, there's not a massive improvement. Not enough to warrant taking the camera to bits, at any rate. Still, the 5DIII seems fine resolution wise for most things.

WOW, that is a noticeable difference in resolution with the filter removed. But it does seem that the focus point is different (In the softer top photo, it seems like focus is more on the roof to the left of the photo as that roof is sharper) so we would have to see a side by side test to get true results. This might spring up a little cottage industry of camera stores that can remove that filter safely, especially if James writes a technical guide of sorts. I think for someone in the know (not myself of course), it's probably pretty easy to do.

Can't wait to see some side by side tests.

Keep us posted Andrew.

[quote author=Simco123 link=topic=501.msg3312#msg3312 date=1333254919]
D800E while have no AA filter and produces sharper stills it will make aliasing even worse thanthe already bad D800 because unlike the 5DIII the downsampling is not a perfect pixel binning 3x3.
[/quote]

Actually, the D800E has the same AA filter as the D800. Nikon just adds an extra filter to 'neutralize' the effect of that AA filter. Now, whether the effect of that AA filter will be completely neutralized or will Nikon keep some of it to control aliasing is still unknown for now...

and if i am ...
your are not one who could tell a difference ...  ;D
go on son and make more wild guesses ...
u look like a expert for that ...
quoting camera spec and not knowing what that means is not sharp thinking..
what i see on this blog is nothing more than that ...
i read canon spec and i know what they mean ...
what they call "quincunx sampling" is pixel binning ...
what they call " revolutionary no debayering sampling "
guess  what when u do binning u dont  do debayering....
but for one who doesn't know camera tech only reaction is  " uuuuuu magic"

PS:and try to learn how cameras work and what is purpose of olpf , pixel binning and etc ...
so maybe u wont be  kick out from other forum for been ignorant ...

• 3 weeks later...
It's more than a couple of weeks since there was any update here & I just saw a posting on dvxuser from someone who has had his 5D3 professionally modified by www.maxmax.com. His verdict? "The difference in resolution is negligible" http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?278918-Canon-5d-mark-iii-improved-olpf-removed-for-higher-resolution&p=1986130831&viewfull=1#post1986130831

Please Andrew can you update us on your results. Are you still convinced that this surgery improves resolution? Are there any drawbacks (aside from voiding the warranty)?