Skateboarding empty LA streets during the pandemic lockdown

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It was shot in 2014, actually. 

XD 

And involved meticulous visual effects to clear out the streets, even though most of the shots were taken during lazy periods. 

BTS:

https://vimeo.com/100021445

Nevertheless, it's a great video. 

One of the most cinematic skateboarding shorts I've ever seen - well thought out, subtle and very pleasing to look at. 

• Super Members

I'll start by saying that that is a great film.

But is there anything more 2020 than trying to capitalise on a global crisis that is literally killing people by click baiting a six year old video?

This video is also doing the rounds after being re-purposed by a lot of people who are desperate for clicks on social media pretending it was taken during whatever passed for a lockdown in London when it was actually just pre-virus dickheadery.

Fair play though, the woman's reaction at the end is gold.

Skateboarding the empty streets sure is tempting right now and can even be considered relatively safe if you skate less frequented places (no viruses on sufraces). However, even when practicing even the most basic tricks, there is a small possibility that a rolled ankle will get you a hospital visit and we all know how great that would be right now. That is why I am sticking to hiking less popular trails and nearby woods for the time being.

This week my wife and I were able to visit an incredibly popular hiking vantage point and have it to ourselves with incredible weather.

2020_03_19_15_41_46_DSC05281.JPG

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'll start by saying that that is a great film.

But is there anything more 2020 than trying to capitalise on a global crisis that is literally killing people by click baiting a six year old video?

Ah bugger. Here's me thinking LA's traffic problems were solved.

• Administrators
7 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Fair play though, the woman's reaction at the end is gold.

She can't seem to decide who's the bigger dickhead. Car dickhead or rollerskating hipster dickhead. Just waiting for similar to happen on an e-scooter. 20kg battery slicing somebody's head off.

• Super Members
Just now, Andrew Reid said:

She can't seem to decide who's the bigger dickhead. Car dickhead or rollerskating hipster dickhead. Just waiting for similar to happen on an e-scooter. 20kg battery slicing somebody's head off.

It actually has the potential to be a good multi message public information film.

Stay off the streets during a lockdown because a dickhead might run you over, check your blindspot before opening your door in case there is a dickhead approaching and you madam put that cigarette out in case the dickhead lands next to you and cries all over social media about you being a health hazard.

• Super Members
3 hours ago, odie said:

L.A. March 19, 2020

CBB32E6B-B8A5-4910-B226-83D2A873B90C.jpeg

Many years ago when I used to have to go over to do jobs in LA quite regularly, I always used to stay the Roosevelt.

Ironically, the last time I went there I did actually spend the better part of a week in self isolation lockdown in one of their rooms and practically became a one man creator of a toilet roll shortage.

And thats why we never go to faux British pubs to eat Fish and Chips anymore :) 

5 hours ago, odie said:

L.A. March 19, 2020

CBB32E6B-B8A5-4910-B226-83D2A873B90C.jpeg

FYI, the camera is near the front of Grauman's Chinese Theater, with the Sun setting in the background.  Normally at this time there would be throngs of tourists, actors dressed as super heroes (looking for photo victims), and "rappers" selling their CDs (never buy  the CDs nor even talk to the "rappers").

This theater is on Hollywood Blvd., about one mile from me.  I usually avoid the tourist section of Hollywood Blvd., but since there are so few people I might take my walk in that direction today.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Many years ago when I used to have to go over to do jobs in LA quite regularly, I always used to stay the Roosevelt.

Did you stay there during it's "golden era" or had they already converted the Roosevelt into a "swank" hipster haven?

• Super Members
18 minutes ago, tupp said:

Did you stay there during it's "golden era" or had they already converted the Roosevelt into a "swank" hipster haven?

Well its true golden era would probably have been when it was hosting the inaugural Oscars in 1929 so I'm not sure what you are implying about my age there mate ;)

I frequented it during 1995 to 2001 so not sure what era that would count as.

Doubt it would count as either "golden" or "hip" to have had me staying there.

Probably known as its "wilderness era".