EOSHD in lockdown in Barcelona - photos from Coronavirus ghost town

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

tried to lure the research to the US and gain exclusive ownership of both the company and the vaccine

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSL8N2B8075.

Facts, man.  They don't work here anymore; if they ever really did.  We're a society of self-aggrandizement and myth.

Don't believe randos like me on the internet about the virus?  How about listening to Larry Brilliant, epidemiologist:

"Is this the worst outbreak you’ve ever seen?

It's the most dangerous pandemic in our lifetime.

We are being asked to do things, certainly, that never happened in my lifetime—stay in the house, stay 6 feet away from other people, don’t go to group gatherings. Are we getting the right advice?

Well, as you reach me, I'm pretending that I'm in a meditation retreat, but I'm actually being semi-quarantined in Marin County. Yes, this is very good advice. But did we get good advice from the president of the United States for the first 12 weeks? No. All we got were lies. Saying it’s fake, by saying this is a Democratic hoax. There are still people today who believe that, to their detriment. Speaking as a public health person, this is the most irresponsible act of an elected official that I've ever witnessed in my lifetime. But what you're hearing now [to self-isolate, close schools, cancel events] is right. Is it going to protect us completely? Is it going to make the world safe forever? No. It's a great thing because we want to spread out the disease over time.

Flatten the curve.

By slowing it down or flattening it, we're not going to decrease the total number of cases, we're going to postpone many cases, until we get a vaccine—which we will, because there's nothing in the virology that makes me frightened that we won’t get a vaccine in 12 to 18 months.

Is there in any way a brighter side to this?

Well, I'm a scientist, but I'm also a person of faith. And I can't ever look at something without asking the question of isn't there a higher power that in some way will help us to be the best version of ourselves that we could be? I thought we would see the equivalent of empty streets in the civic arena, but the amount of civic engagement is greater than I've ever seen. But I'm seeing young kids, millennials, who are volunteering to go take groceries to people who are homebound, elderly. I'm seeing an incredible influx of nurses, heroic nurses, who are coming and working many more hours than they worked before, doctors who fearlessly go into the hospital to work. I've never seen the kind of volunteerism I'm seeing."

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-interview-larry-brilliant-smallpox-epidemiologist/

Thank you Andrew, for posting my comment.  Many other sites would not do the same, so it's clear that you believe in free speech. 

The Reuters article, as well as the original Die Welt am Sonntag article broke on Sunday the 15th.  The German biotech company of interest (CureVac) made a statement (and tweeted) on the 16th that completely denied the accusation.  Both Gannett (140 million readers) and the Washington Post (3 million readers) have run this story.  Gannett would never lift a finger to support Trump, and the Washington Post absolutely despises him.  Something suspicious is happening here. 

Things were going better here in Australia than most places and they seemed to be getting to be able to flatten the curve.....then a couple of days ago they let FOUR cruise ship loads of people out into the wild in Sydney with several on EACH SHIP having the virus...Even if they CAN track down all those people, by now, it is far to late and so in a coupe of weeks it will be bedlam.

Today the government put out a decent sized emergency package that has some on the left up in arms and some on the right as well so looks to me to be pretty right (a bit too generous maybe but better that than the other way).

Not in lockdown YET (that will change any day now) but even so it can be pretty still out.   

This is a main street in Wagga Wagga a small city in regional NSW (and the centre of the Universe).

DSC02174.jpg

In two weeks it will just be the START of the bedlam here (if not earlier).     It might continue for the rest of the year.     A lot depends on how fast they come up with a vaccine.    I expect cures for the virus (once you have it) a lot sooner but you still get it before that works.

Glad you could make it home, next time you're in Barcelona let me know and I'll try to get you to visit the most comprehensive cinema gear private collection (20.000 items), starting with Marie Antoinette private theatre and Louis Lumiere Cinematograph. Stay safe fellow readers.

From U.S.:    Are people buying Toilet Paper like it was the last item in the world in the U.K.?   Absolutely bare shelves in all stores.   Comes in at 6:00 AM each day and is being rationed to one item purchases per person.   Still all gone in 1 - 2 hr!!!   Sorry this is off topic, but No one seems to have an answer over here.   Maybe Covid-19 affects the brain before the body?

1 hour ago, Fred Flohrschutz said:

From U.S.:    Are people buying Toilet Paper like it was the last item in the world in the U.K.?   Absolutely bare shelves in all stores.   Comes in at 6:00 AM each day and is being rationed to one item purchases per person.   Still all gone in 1 - 2 hr!!!   Sorry this is off topic, but No one seems to have an answer over here.   Maybe Covid-19 affects the brain before the body?

Same here and I’m in a rural area. Why? I don’t get it. People are really concerned about keeping their ass clean as the world ends.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Fred Flohrschutz said:

The weird thing is that in the UK at least there seems no way of convincing people to stop the phenomenon.

Like a lot of stuff over the past few years, its like everyone has read some sort of viral Facebook post about it that had a grain of truth (diarrhoea is a symptom though a much less common one) which was then honed in on and now there is no talking them down from their position. Its now of course become a self-fulfilling prophecy as it has fed panic buying from people who know full well that it is senseless but are now caught up in it themselves because of the shortage.

The two other countries that I have been in/am during this have not had the same behaviour so I can only presume if its happening in the US as well that the Facebook post must have been in English ;)

We got mercilessly mocked by numerous members of our family (and the plumber who instated it!) for getting one of these a couple of years ago but as Guy Martin says here our trumping gear has never been cleaner.

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wrong. Trump tried to lure the research to the US and gain exclusive ownership of both the company and the vaccine

See:

https://www.reuters.com/article/health-coronavirus-germany-usa-idUSL8N2B8075.

We even have a number. Trump offered 890 M in the absence of his staff to the then ceo of the company.

it was the same period when Trump was bloating about the US making the vaccine first. Clearly the US was going to BUY it first.

The ceo was sacked instantly by the board of the company. The EU and German government intervened also.

I do not think this is fake news.

5 hours ago, Fred Flohrschutz said:

Same here in Australia.      There is enough toilet paper to go around if everyone is sensible but at one point they had police and security guards with the staff handing it out.

I thought it was funny until I realised I had less than a third of a roll left with a colonoscopy due a couple of days later (since postponed) and went looking and there was none.    I went back later and there was a poor lady loading it onto shelves and it was walking out the door as fast as she could load it.      

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, George IV said:

'Politico' of Europe  is also reporting the story as a possible hoax.  The truth will come out eventually.

https://www.politico.eu/article/trump-coronavirus-vaccine-germany-curevac/

That article reports the denial by the CureVac deputy CEO Franz-Werner Haas.

The rest of the article then raises such points as :

"But Haas, in a one-hour news conference carried out by telephone, failed to explain why senior German ministers had confirmed — and strongly condemned — such a bid, and why even the company's main investor, Dietmar Hopp, said Monday that he had been informed about a U.S. offer which he then rejected."

They then quote Dietmar Hopp as saying 

"..it is not possible that a German company develops the vaccine and that it is used exclusively in the U.S. That was not an option for me." He added, "[Trump] spoke to the company and they immediately told me and asked me what I thought about it, and I knew immediately that this was out of the question."

It then quotes Angela Merkel

"Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters on Monday that the German government "has dealt very early on" with Trump's reported takeover attempt. She said, in reference to Hopp's statement, that the issue had now been "resolved."

And then concludes with this

"There are open questions about CureVac's leadership. CEO Daniel Menichella, a U.S. citizen, had to abruptly leave the company after he participated earlier this month in a White House meeting where Trump reportedly approached him with his offer."

On balance then, with that sort of input from the main investor and attributable quotes from the actual elected leader of the country, would you not be more inclined to say that that article is more weighted towards casting doubt on the company's denial rather than supporting the idea of it being some sort of hoax?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

• Super Members
34 minutes ago, George IV said:

And now 'Business Insider'.  Looks as though Reuters and other outlets were fooled.  

https://www.businessinsider.com/curevac-coronavirus-vaccine-trump-germany-denial-2020-3

This one just reports the company denial and carries none of the counterpoints of the other article.

Whether that proves the original feature in Germany's biggest newspaper that carried quotes from government ministers is a hoax or that this is a lightweight re-purposing of a press release without any critical analysis on the part of the author is open to interpretation.

5 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

That article reports the denial by the CureVac deputy CEO Franz-Werner Haas.

The rest of the article then raises such points as :

"But Haas, in a one-hour news conference carried out by telephone, failed to explain why senior German ministers had confirmed — and strongly condemned — such a bid, and why even the company's main investor, Dietmar Hopp, said Monday that he had been informed about a U.S. offer which he then rejected."

They then quote Dietmar Hopp as saying 

"..it is not possible that a German company develops the vaccine and that it is used exclusively in the U.S. That was not an option for me." He added, "[Trump] spoke to the company and they immediately told me and asked me what I thought about it, and I knew immediately that this was out of the question."

It then quotes Angela Merkel

"Chancellor Angela Merkel told reporters on Monday that the German government "has dealt very early on" with Trump's reported takeover attempt. She said, in reference to Hopp's statement, that the issue had now been "resolved."

And then concludes with this

"There are open questions about CureVac's leadership. CEO Daniel Menichella, a U.S. citizen, had to abruptly leave the company after he participated earlier this month in a White House meeting where Trump reportedly approached him with his offer."

On balance then, with that sort of input from the main investor and attributable quotes from the actual elected leader of the country, would you not be more inclined to say that that article is more weighted towards casting doubt on the company's denial rather than supporting the idea of it being some sort of hoax?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Thank you for the kind welcome.  As they say on radio, I'm a "First time caller...long time listener."  

This is shaping up to be a very nasty story.  It smells as though someone in the company (CureVac) leaked this fictional story in order to gain financially.  I will check to see if CureVac trades publicly on either the German or American markets.  If so, this could be a classic "pump and dump" scheme.  At the very least, CureVac just received additional funds of 80 million euros this week.  This story exposes the hoax even further:

https://www.breitbart.com/the-media/2020/03/16/reuters-stealth-edits-debunked-story-claiming-trump-sought-monopoly-on-covid-19-vaccine/

• Super Members
29 minutes ago, George IV said:

I mean no offence whatsover but there is no way in this or any other lifetime will I be reading anything from that source.

Most outlets have some degree of leaning but Breitbart, like several UK outlets, is a bridge too far for me.

Sorry.

15 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I mean no offence whatsover but there is no way in this or any other lifetime will I be reading anything from that source.

Most outlets have some degree of leaning but Breitbart, like several UK outlets, is a bridge too far for me.

Sorry.

Yes, I understand.  I have the same problem with many other outlets, and I can't stand politics.

The truth may be exposed when we figure out why this CureVac CEO is on "medical leave" all of a sudden.  CureVac swapped their new CEO with their old one not long before this controversy happened.  Stay tuned!