Photokina 2020 is cancelled

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

BUH BYE

#photokina 

photokina 2020 is cancelled 

After intensive consultation, Koelnmesse GmbH has decided to cancel photokina 2020, originally planned to be held 27 to 30 May 2020. The next instalment of the leading international trade fair for photography, video and imaging will be presented from 18 to 21 May 2022. The Imaging Innovation Conference will not be celebrating its première in 2020 as originally planned; a new date will be coordinated. 

In general the management team of Koelnmesse has decided not to organise any own events on the part of Koelnmesse until the end of June 2020. This decision is supported by the crisis management team of the City of Cologne, which also recommended in its meeting on 18.03.2020 to cancel the trade fairs during this period. 

This also happens against the background of the agreement reached on 16.03.2020 between the German federal government and the governments of the German states – laying down common guidelines for dealing with the coronavirus epidemic and explicitly including the general closure of trade fairs and exhibitions. This impairs the planning security for Koelnmesse and the participants of the trade fairs in Cologne far beyond the scope of the current scenarios. With this early announcement, Koelnmesse wants to give its exhibitors and visitors planning security. 

The decision not to host the next edition of photokina until May 2022 was made with in view of several factors: Even before the appearance of the coronavirus, the imaging market was already subject to strongly dynamic movements. This trend will now gain momentum and must be factored into plans for the upcoming photokina. Added to this is the fact that our customers’ resources are already under heavy strain in 2021 – as a result of general economic trends as well as rescheduled events on the global trade fair calendar. The orientation towards 2022 gives everyone involved time enough to design the next photokina with an eye to the needs of the market, and of our exhibitors and visitors. 

Kai Hillebrandt, Chairman of the Photo Industry Association [Photoindustrie-Verband e.V. (PIV)]: “It goes without saying that PIV completely stands behind the decision taken by Koelnmesse to cancel photokina 2020. The health of exhibitors and visitors is top priority at the moment. As the conceptual sponsor of photokina, we will do our utmost to assist the Koelnmesse with the planning of the next edition of photokina.” 

Koelnmesse – Global Competence in Digital Media, Entertainment and Mobility: Koelnmesse is an international leader in organising trade fairs in the Digital Media, Entertainment and Mobility segments. Trade fairs like photokina, DMEXCO, gamescom, gamescom asia, INTERMOT and THE TIRE COLOGNE are established as leading international trade fairs. Koelnmesse not only organises trade fairs in these areas in Cologne, but also in other growth markets like, for example, China, Singapore and Thailand, which have different areas of focus and content. These global activities offer customers of Koelnmesse tailor-made events in different markets, which guarantee sustainable and international business. 

Note for editorial offices: 
photokina photos are available in our image database on the Internet at www.photokina.com in the “News” section. Press information is available at: www.photokina.com/Pressinformation 

If you reprint this document, please send us a sample copy. 

photokina  in Social Media 
www.facebook.com/photokina 
www.instagram.com/photokina 
www.twitter.com/photokina

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
53 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

The little guy that otherwise struggles to get their voice/products out.

As such guys, this is another blow as was CP+, NAB and I'm going to venture IBC will be as well.

Not because we were exhibiting but in terms of meetings to discuss licensing, co-development and distribution opportunities.

We have some hope that things might be back on track for InterBEE  in late November but who knows what long term restrictions this may bring travelling to and from Japan from Europe.

I know a lot of people think that exhibitions such as these are relics and that this might be their death knell but I'd be sad to see that happen as they are more than just people getting their grubby hands on new gear.

What I would definitely like to see if they do come back though is a lot more of the "single table" type stands for us little guys to be able to afford to show our wares.

• Administrators
2 hours ago, hoodlum said:

The best news is that they have delayed the next show until May 2022.  Hopefully they keep it to every 2 years.

what part of this makes any sense though. It's not long ago they wanted to go to one every year... Come 2022 it will be 4 years since the last Photokina!

Bit of a u-turn isn't it??

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

"The decision not to host the next edition of photokina until May 2022 was made with in view of several factors: Even before the appearance of the coronavirus, the imaging market was already subject to strongly dynamic movements. This trend will now gain momentum and must be factored into plans for the upcoming photokina. Added to this is the fact that our customers’ resources are already under heavy strain in 2021 – as a result of general economic trends as well as rescheduled events on the global trade fair calendar. The orientation towards 2022 gives everyone involved time enough to design the next photokina with an eye to the needs of the market, and of our exhibitors and visitors."

If you listen carefully you can hear the sound of some grapes mumbling bitterly about Nikon, Fuji and Olympus cancelling on Photokina 2020.

There may even be a bit of revenge in there, a very subtle German one.

I've no sympathy for the management of Photokina.

image.png.44dd2fcd510d1473273bd0c37f13e789.png

I'm shocked! 
And surprised!

/s

Nah, not really. 

Honestly, most people should be expecting that any big event being held in the first half of 2020 has a very very high chance of being cancelled. 

Even if a country is back to allowing gatherings of thousands and thousands of people by May this year, the odds are high there are still many other restrictions in place which would scuttle the event. Such as banning people coming from certain countries, or enforcing two week long quarantines for new visitors (effectively a ban! What exhibitor is going to come under those conditions??), or who knows what else. 

It is good for organizers to signal as far out as possible that an event is going to be cancelled, so that people don't need to waste time and money on preparing for it. 

Our local government showed shocking incompetence by a week ago cancelling the Pasifika Festival (it's the largest event of its kind in the world!) only the DAY BEFORE it was going to start!! WTF

Many many many people had already traveled here to NZ at great expense for this, countless food stall holders will have already spent thousands on purchasing food and started cooking it already (who are often low income people who can't afford this loss!). 

They should have announced this a week earlier. Or even just a couple of days earlier would have saved many people much effort and great expense!

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I know a lot of people think that exhibitions such as these are relics and that this might be their death knell but I'd be sad to see that happen as they are more than just people getting their grubby hands on new gear.

What I would definitely like to see if they do come back though is a lot more of the "single table" type stands for us little guys to be able to afford to show our wares.

I'd like to see this too. 

Perhaps this will be the rise of new smaller exhibitions?

Same with the F1. The circus had already been set up in Melbourne. Slow to react much? But neither organisation or local authorities really wanted to pull the plug and be responsible for blowing the whole thing off and being responsible for the call/costs (not sure how the blame game is played, who will cover this? I suppose there's no such thing as a pandemic insurance). It takes health experts to go 'guys, guys, no more! Stop this madness, of course this can't go through, put an end to this immediately!' and they'll be pointing like 'sorry fans, they said 'no more', we're just obeying what they said, not our fault'.

46 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Same with the F1. The circus had already been set up in Melbourne.

The massive cost to ship the teams and gear to Oz is HUGE! They should have let that last F1 race at Melbourne run all the way through. 

Ban the spectators, but let them race. (if the teams want to)

After all, is there any other sport on earth where the participants are more isolated from each other than F1 drivers in their cars? 

Wasn't really the worry for the drivers. I believe it started with a single member of the McLaren team being tested for COVIDPeter and a bunch of close co-workers being quarantined. That forced McLaren to drop out. Sportmanship is also letting everyone compete for championship points and having a fair chance of decent placement at the end of the season purely based on team performance, not external circumstances.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I'd like to see this too. 

Perhaps this will be the rise of new smaller exhibitions?

I think that they could combine both and have the main exhibition hall(s) with the small housing estate sized stands that the big companies set up and then one hall filled with single table stands for the little guys and have prices to match.

These Pod Stand packages for IBC2020 are along the right lines and they have them in the connecting spaces between halls so you do get decent footfall.

Rendering-2-HR.thumb.jpg.c58990ca117b0e52813c88a6cce65cd2.jpg

The only snag is that the package price for the show is €5000, which when you add in the travel costs and the jacked up prices of hotels around such events its ends up putting it out of reach.

If they piled aisles and aisles of them into a dedicated hall in a record fair style they could easily get that price down to say €1500-2000 and make more money than they do now from having only a limited number of the €5000 version.

They could also mitigate it by allowing us to sell products directly as I always think as a visitor that gives a show a bit more buzz.

The Photography Show in Birmingham is a good example of being able to see the latest gear on the big manufacturers stands and being able to buy gear at a healthy discount on the retailer's smaller stands surrounding them.

At the end of the day we will miss exhibitions if they disappear because, and with all due respect to anyone who does it, God help us if the only way we get to see or show new products is through the prism of YouTubers.

• Super Members
8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Same with the F1. The circus had already been set up in Melbourne. Slow to react much? But neither organisation or local authorities really wanted to pull the plug and be responsible for blowing the whole thing off and being responsible for the call/costs (not sure how the blame game is played, who will cover this? I suppose there's no such thing as a pandemic insurance). It takes health experts to go 'guys, guys, no more! Stop this madness, of course this can't go through, put an end to this immediately!' and they'll be pointing like 'sorry fans, they said 'no more', we're just obeying what they said, not our fault'.

And then in an act of stupefying hypocrisy Lewis Hamilton decides to make use of his newly acquired free time in Melbourne to toddle off doing indoor rock climbing and surfing with a bunch of strangers.

What really fascinated me about the F1 circus when I went to the testing with @Andrew Reid before the world stopped were the buildings the teams erected in the paddock for entertaining sponsors etc.

They were full on apartment blocks with elevators in them and as we were looking at them I said that I can't help thinking that if the F1 teams can turn up all over the world every two weeks building those structures then they could easily solve the housing shortage in the UK within a few months!

Of course, now, with the impending seriousness of the peak of the virus thats coming, they should seriously look at using their skills in doing the same to build overflows for hospitals.

I can't help thinking that the UK government's appeal to manufacturers for anyone with capabilities that could be used to help build ventilators could be addressed by the F1 teams that are based there as well as I'm sure they have the associated engineering skills and small scale manufacturing ability to help out.

8 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Wasn't really the worry for the drivers. I believe it started with a single member of the McLaren team being tested for COVID and a bunch of close co-workers being quarantined. That forced McLaren to drop out. Sportmanship is also letting everyone compete for championship points and having a fair chance of decent placement at the end of the season purely based on team performance, not external circumstances.

Oh sh*t!! I wasn't aware of that :-/ 😞

That sucks. 

yeah, kinda makes a lot more sense their decision now 

51 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think that they could combine both and have the main exhibition hall(s) with the small housing estate sized stands that the big companies set up and then one hall filled with single table stands for the little guys and have prices to match.

These Pod Stand packages for IBC2020 are along the right lines and they have them in the connecting spaces between halls so you do get decent footfall.

Rendering-2-HR.thumb.jpg.c58990ca117b0e52813c88a6cce65cd2.jpg

The only snag is that the package price for the show is €5000, which when you add in the travel costs and the jacked up prices of hotels around such events its ends up putting it out of reach.

If they piled aisles and aisles of them into a dedicated hall in a record fair style they could easily get that price down to say €1500-2000 and make more money than they do now from having only a limited number of the €5000 version.

They could also mitigate it by allowing us to sell products directly as I always think as a visitor that gives a show a bit more buzz.

The Photography Show in Birmingham is a good example of being able to see the latest gear on the big manufacturers stands and being able to buy gear at a healthy discount on the retailer's smaller stands surrounding them.

At the end of the day we will miss exhibitions if they disappear because, and with all due respect to anyone who does it, God help us if the only way we get to see or show new products is through the prism of YouTubers.

That's a good plan!

Utterly crazy you can't sell goods at IBC?? If only you could, that could help change the math so much more for the teeny bit players so that that they rationalize having a small stand!

36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I can't help thinking that the UK government's appeal to manufacturers for anyone with capabilities that could be used to help build ventilators could be addressed by the F1 teams that are based there as well as I'm sure they have the associated engineering skills and small scale manufacturing ability to help out.

Like this:
https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/17/21184308/coronavirus-italy-medical-3d-print-valves-treatments

• Super Members
54 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, I saw that and its really great to see it happening.

I was going to offer my 3D print expertise but as this is an example of my handiwork they'd be better off using toilet roll tubes and sellotape.

P1000435.thumb.jpg.1ac758d6627bf2f8bac763f2553dd73c.jpg

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I was going to offer my 3D print expertise but as this is an example of my handiwork they'd be better off using toilet roll tubes

Not really....  bloody expensive and a half to get your hands on those toilet rolls! 

Much more economical (even with its "flaws") to use your 3D prints