Wintery Canada shot with Panasonic S1

mojo43

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 minutes ago, FranciscoB said:

Looks great. How's the s1 in shooting vlog in low light? I'm still on the a7s ii and shoot slog2 in low light but i always overexpose to get a clean image. Is that necessary on the s1 or you can expose how you want for the final image?

We shot in Cine D so I can't really comment on Vlog, but I can tell you how it is exposing and the flexibility in the footage in comparison to the a7sii. It is so much more flexible. A few of the scenes we really had to push to the extremes of the dynamic range and we brought it back in post easily without anything breaking apart. It wouldn't have been possible to do that to A7sii footage.  

8 minutes ago, Dave Del Real said:

Nice. Shot in Vlog? I see the Mavic Pro 2 is no slouch either.

Shot in Cine D. The mavic 2 is so much better than the 1st version. You can really push the image around.

51 minutes ago, Dave Del Real said:

Cool, thanks for the reply. Also, did you use continuous autofocus and how did it perform?

No... unfortunately the AF isn't that great on it. We shot manual. That's the only thing that the Sony A7iii does better than the S1.

Really great work!!! As a fellow S1 owner, I find it really inspiring, too.

For what it is worth... to anyone interested, Cine D on the S1 is the OLD Cine D, while on the S1H there is a new version of Cine D called Cine D2. Not sure what difference it makes.

On 3/13/2020 at 9:49 AM, FranciscoB said:

Looks great. How's the s1 in shooting vlog in low light? I'm still on the a7s ii and shoot slog2 in low light but i always overexpose to get a clean image. Is that necessary on the s1 or you can expose how you want for the final image?

From what I have read... Cine D is supposed to be better for low light than VLOG. I actually tried to do some tests comparing nighttime vlog with HLG and Cine D (I think) but then I had to get a new graphics card, and new power supply, and my computer has been crashing, so I haven't had as much chance to work with it as I would have liked. Maybe by this weekend I can FINALLY get around to making a comparison of the low light footage. Fingers crossed.

On 3/15/2020 at 11:17 AM, Jonesy Jones said:

Very beautifully shot. Your direction with what I assume are non actors was done very well. 

I love the footage from those ff Panasonics. Even though I’m not a huge autofocus guy, I think that is one of the greater features of the mirror less models. Wish they would improve theirs.

Thanks so much! Ya as it stand, we shoot with the S1 our A cam and the A7iii for any of our gimbal work. Also the A7iii is much lighter so it makes sense. You just really need to nail your exposure properly.

19 hours ago, mercer said:

I love the color grade in this video! Can you explain your process?

Absolutely. I created a look based off of this image. I dropped the black point and brought the exposure up and pushed the shadows blue. I did my grade in Resolve. Since all my gigs are cancelled now I guess I have more time for Youtube videos sigh.... maybe I will post a video on what I did for that if anyone is interested? 

NRU0RZPH.jpg

19 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Beautiful! Love the use of nat sound.

Chris

Thanks, glad it came out well. I always struggle with getting the nat sounds right in the mix.

11 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Really great work!!! As a fellow S1 owner, I find it really inspiring, too.

For what it is worth... to anyone interested, Cine D on the S1 is the OLD Cine D, while on the S1H there is a new version of Cine D called Cine D2. Not sure what difference it makes.

From what I have read... Cine D is supposed to be better for low light than VLOG. I actually tried to do some tests comparing nighttime vlog with HLG and Cine D (I think) but then I had to get a new graphics card, and new power supply, and my computer has been crashing, so I haven't had as much chance to work with it as I would have liked. Maybe by this weekend I can FINALLY get around to making a comparison of the low light footage. Fingers crossed.

I would love to see the test. Cine D is very good in low light. We were going to run tests to see if could beat the a7sii, but never had time to do it. Certainly the codec in the S1 holds up much much better.