Trying to choose my first DSLR

parthshah

Hey guys I'm pretty new to photography. I mainly have taken photos on my phone or my GoPro and im looking to step up my photo game. I travel a lot and mainly take landscape pictures and pictures of me and my friends at lookout points and what not. This is just a hobby I'm by no means a professional photographer nor do I want to make a business out of it. So if you have any suggestions let me know I'd like to keep it under the $1000 price point if possible.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hi parthshah, and welcome to the forums!

When it comes to "first gear choices" (or "any gear choices" for that matter! ha!) best (IMO) to try and identify what one is trying to accomplish that isn't being served with their current gear and then examine which solutions best solve the most problems...

Case 1: I needed a lightweight camera that would fit in a shoulder sling bag along with binoculars and other day hike items that could shoot from wide to tele...so I shopped superzoom cameras and grabbed a used FZ1000 when one popped up.

Case 2: Wanted to shoot birds and wildlife in poor lighting environments so I went from a Canon 30D to a 5D Mark II...fell in love with the video abilities of the 5D and then wanted a 4K camera that offered the same...went to a Sony a6300, then a7SII and hated the ergonomics, [erformance and color of both...enter a Panasonic S1.

Case 3: Wanted to shoot high-speed (slow motion) video with audio like my iPhone 5S, still searching for a "best solution" but settled on an iPhone 8 Plus with 240fps HD with audio for now.

...my point here being (for your consideration), in each scenario I had a clear vision of what I was trying to do.

So, the question I'm suggesting that you ask yourself is, "just what are my needs or desires here when it comes to imaging?". I'm suggesting that the better you can identify what you'd like to be doing next the clearer the path will be towards your solutions.

So, based on what you've briefly shared, you're looking for an outdoors, ready-for-the-elements, lightweight (for hiking), non-interchangeable lens (trust me, you do not want to be changing lenses while out on the trails all day! ;) ), rugged, wide angle to perhaps moderate-zoom camera? I'll toss in, make sure it can shoot in Manual Mode (i.e. exposure settings) and that it can meter relatively well if you truly want to "step up your game".

Plugging in values for 1" sensor, Full Manual Mode and Spot Meter yields 47 camera choices here...

Camera feature search: Digital Photography Review : Digital Photography Review:

https://***URL removed***/products/search/cameras#criterias=SpecsSensorSize%2CSpecsExposureModesSearch%2CSpecsMeteringModesSpotSearch&paramSpecsSensorSize=OneInch&paramSpecsExposureModesSearch=manual-exposure&paramSpecsMeteringModesSpotSearch=Yes

...refine and change parameters to your heart's content! :) Hope that helps, and keep us posted.

:)

Jimmy G

38 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Lifted from Reddit last year so whilst there might be a Spam shortage in supermarkets there's clearly no shortage in this thread 

Thanks! I was knee-deep in my above post when you posted that, thanks for the heads up! :)