Nikkor zoom 25-50mm f4

BrunoCH

When looking for a zoom for my XT3, I discovered the existence of a 25-50mm nikkor AI. Originally, it was a wide zoom for 24x36mm which went from the standard focal to a wide angle. On the XT3’ sensor, it is a zoom very well centered on the standard focal, a bit like an 18-55 but with a narrower range.

I found a copy in very good condition on Ebay for 105 $ + 24 $ shipping.

I received it yesterday morning and I did a few quick tests in the afternoon.

Pros :

Optical quality and build contruction

Price

All manual with 3 rings: aperture, zoom, focus.

Cons :

Maximum aperture at F4 (too soft, it must be opened at 5.6 at least to have the full quality of this lens)

Not Parfocal. The focus moves when you change the focal length.

I chose the AI version because focus throw AI version 130° vs 75° AIS version.

If you want to view some boring  crapy shots.

password: nikkor2550

https://vimeo.com/397291419?activityReferer=1

IMG_7963.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've often wondered about this lens, so I was happy to see your post. Your samples look great. Were you focusing as you were zooming because it looked like it held focus pretty well? Did you shoot this with one of the Fuji's film simulations, or did you grade this? Either way, the color looks nice!

16 minutes ago, mercer said:

I've often wondered about this lens, so I was happy to see your post. Your samples look great. Were you focusing as you were zooming because it looked like it held focus pretty well? Did you shoot this with one of the Fuji's film simulations, or did you grade this? Either way, the color looks nice!

I was wrong it is parfocal. I just found the manual in pdf. But honestly when you focus something near you (about 2 m) there is a small focus shift when you zoom.

I filmed in F-Log. DeLog with Color space transform node in Resolve without LUT. Correction expo and WB and I added a bit of contrast and saturation. 😊

http://allphotolenses.com/pdf/c_18/p_3.html

19 hours ago, BrunoCH said:

I was wrong it is parfocal. I just found the manual in pdf. But honestly when you focus something near you (about 2 m) there is a small focus shift when you zoom.

I filmed in F-Log. DeLog with Color space transform node in Resolve without LUT. Correction expo and WB and I added a bit of contrast and saturation. 😊

http://allphotolenses.com/pdf/c_18/p_3.html

Sometimes you have to properly shim the lens to get the parfocal ability.

Honestly was pretty impressed by your tests, yes it's not razor sharp but it has a nice clean look and it's lack of contrast can be a good thing.

7 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Sometimes you have to properly shim the lens to get the parfocal ability.

Honestly was pretty impressed by your tests, yes it's not razor sharp but it has a nice clean look and it's lack of contrast can be a good thing.

I know but I can’t properly shim the lens or I don’t know how I can.

I use a cheap Nikon mount adapter to Fuji X. It’s all metal and well build and no play but maybe it isn’t precise enough about focal flange.

Me too I impressed by my test and I’m sure I’ll use it on some projects.