COVID19 Kibosh

fuzzynormal

• Super Members
26 minutes ago, Grimor said:

Now you have 2 good things: Murcia is one of the regions with the fewest reported cases in all of Spain. In addition to leaving the UK you have won a much more handsome Prime Minister !!

Unfortunately, one of the reported cases is two streets away !

I might drive up to Vera as it looks like that isn't in lockdown and if there is anything that will scare this virus away its the sight of me and a bunch of other fat Brits playing beach volleyball in the nude.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The way things happen in the USA is unique.  

We have a different sort of society and culture from elsewhere in the world.  That comes with good and bad realities.  When it comes to dealing with modern health issues, we all know that the USA is absolutely not great for health care for the middle and lower class.  (anyone seriously dispute this?)

So, how is a system that barely holds itself together in the first place handle the impact of a new novel virus?   i.e:  The head of the Department of Health in Ohio just said there are five confirmed cases in the state, but actually thinks there are 100,000+ cases in the state unreported.  And that's as of today.  Where is it in a week or two?   If only a modest percent of those people start taking beds at hospitals, can our system handle it?

Meanwhile, I just got an editing gig which allows me to work from home for a few weeks, so I don't feel scared or panicked (even if I do I don't fret about serious health risks).  My main worry is having it spread it to the older members of my family.  I guess we'll see how this all played out.

2 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

The way things happen in the USA is unique.  

We have a different sort of society and culture from elsewhere in the world.  That comes with good and bad realities.  When it comes to dealing with modern health issues, we all know that the USA is absolutely not great for health care for the middle and lower class.  (anyone seriously dispute this?)

So, how is a system that barely holds itself together in the first place handle the impact of a new novel virus?   i.e:  The head of the Department of Health in Ohio just said there are five confirmed cases in the state, but actually thinks there are 100,000+ cases in the state unreported.  And that's as of today.  Where is it in a week or two?   If only a modest percent of those people start taking beds at hospitals, can our system handle it?

Meanwhile, I just got an editing gig which allows me to work from home for a few weeks, so I don't feel scared or panicked that I might get (even if I do I don't fret about serious health risks) My main worry is having it spread it to the older members of my family.  I guess we'll see how this all played out.

Yeah I'm dealing with people daily at a movie theater that do not understand why it's a big deal if there is no confirmed cases in the area, I've frequently had to explain how you don't always show signs right away and it can spread without knowledge, they all look completely shocked. This is mainly due to a COMPLETE lack of a unified message from our government and health officials. It's going to get far FAR worse before it gets better.

On 3/12/2020 at 3:48 PM, eleison said:

Also, guess which country will come up with the vaccine first?  If history is to be our guide, it will be the USA... 

Yep, waiting with anxienty for the Corona vaccine by USA. Finally a cure for hangover!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cornavirus-corona-beer-they-have-nothing-to-do-with-each-other/

"Survey finds 38% of beer-drinking Americans say they won't order a Corona"

15 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

due to a COMPLETE lack of a unified message from our government and health officials.

I trust the actual medical scientists of the CDC.  They're not idiots and they know how reality works.  Do I trust other people that disseminate the information (including me)?  Not so much.

Just now, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Yeah, but I think that's just in general.  They'd probably rather drink a Coors Light or some shit.

9 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

The rat race will continue, since those are already pushing down the prices will continue their top ramen diet, whereas experienced shooters will maybe have to rethink their careers if their mortages etc. squeeze them too hard. On top of that, a recession is very much possible and video budgets will suffer and freelancers in all sorts of industries will feel the pain.

I work a fulltime job in IT and we just moved our work home. Productivity will be smaller, sure, but overall the effect on our company will be close to negligible.

Recession in the short term is a virtual certainty.

1 hour ago, Márcio Kabke Pinheiro said:

Yep, waiting with anxienty for the Corona vaccine by USA. Finally a cure for hangover!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/cornavirus-corona-beer-they-have-nothing-to-do-with-each-other/

That reflects the average intelligence of "regular people" unfortunately. And they still think they should have the same say in government as people who actually know what is going on.

Trump was put in office by the basket of deplorables and now we have to deal with the consequences of the "wisdom" of that demographic. Those sorts of people should not have the right to vote. There needs to be some sort of threshold put in place, such as education and/or income, so we can minimize the effects of the ignorant over their betters on governance.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

I trust the actual medical scientists of the CDC.  They're not idiots and they know how reality works.  Do I trust other people that disseminate the information (including me)?  Not so much.

Yeah, but I think that's just in general.  They'd probably rather drink a Coors Light or some shit.

The problem with the CDC however is that the people actually overseeing it are appointees. They can't always be relied on for an objective assessment since there is an element of politics involved. If you go a few levels below that to the professional managers within the organization, that is where you start to see more objectivity.

Jack Maa, the Chinese Billionaire (Alibaba), is apparently donating 1Million Masks and 500,000 testing kits to the US. Though I suspect that these maks may be made in China, and most likely in the November 2019 - February 2020 period, when most masks that are made in China are dated for (and which incidentally, are during the time of the outbreak/epidemic/pandemic). I am mentioning the date and country of origin, causs I ordered masks from different retailers on Amazon, and all seem to be Made in China, and during this period itself. 

Please check all maks that you use, for their date of manufacture and their country of origin. The last thing you want is a contaminated mask. Maybe these masks can be sanitised and then used. I have no idea, I am merely guessing.

On 3/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, ntblowz said:

wow! 3 months of no income! That really stink!

Yeah.... terrible news for him. 

Hopefully he gets some new bookings to replace what he lost. 

20 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

Its the perfect time to make a zombie movie! Empty streets, ransacked grocery stores, scared civilians hiding in their bomb shelters...

Grab any of the many sick patients and you can save on your make up budget too!

1 hour ago, sanveer said:

Jack Maa, the Chinese Billionaire (Alibaba), is apparently donating 1Million Masks and 500,000 testing kits to the US. Though I suspect that these maks may be made in China, and most likely in the November 2019 - February 2020 period, when most masks that are made in China are dated for (and which incidentally, are during the time of the outbreak/epidemic/pandemic). I am mentioning the date and country of origin, causs I ordered masks from different retailers on Amazon, and all seem to be Made in China, and during this period itself. 

Please check all maks that you use, for their date of manufacture and their country of origin. The last thing you want is a contaminated mask. Maybe these masks can be sanitised and then used. I have no idea, I am merely guessing.

I think you'd be much better off focussing your energy to improve your immunity by consuming some things and not others and staying away from people.

2 hours ago, John Matthews said:

I think you'd be much better off focussing your energy to improve your immunity by consuming some things and not others and staying away from people.

This!

Besides, they've already said that the virus only really survives and transmits through close human contact. You can risk a whole lot by getting cheap stuff from China that endangers your well-being (especially low-grade electronics, with built-in rechargeable batteries), but non of those really includes catching a virus through a package. But unless properly used and precautions taken a mask really is pretty useless.

Masks not really useful unless you are already sick.

Best you can do is wash your hands, don’t touch your face and limit your contact with people until the infection rate is under control.

I’m more worried about the broader impact on my businesses. I have employees but it looks like, If the political parties put aside their grievances, we will have some financial relief for employees who become sick and can’t work.

Too bad I can’t take advantage of them since I’m self-employed!

Me and my wife are self emoloyed too, that means there is no relief for us!

My wife stoped working for a week now, and I cancelled a few jobs I had booked, while I am expecting, or I will do anyway, the TV series I am working right now to be canceled together with my contract (written by the "producers" so they can do as they please with me. Modern capitalism has nothing to do with Adams and Webber anymore). All these will result at least 50-60% loss of our income for the 2020 (I mainly live from TV season, September to April-May).

Glad I didn't buy anything expensive recen..whoops, we bought a new car a month or so, ago! Well..

Here in Greece we were starting to build the economy again after the tragic decade that just passed, and now everything stops, while some of our neighbors are trying to push us to a full time war(!) with cultural and religion pretexts..

I just hope that we can fast forward to June/July and do small trips with my family while the outbreak is behind us and noone wants to do any fighting in the world.

2020 is such a weird year so far.

Ugh, my nascent video production company just took a real hit. Two weeks ago I pitched a substantial video project to a consultant in the nonprofit world I've worked with, and he has very eager and asked me to send him a proposal. I just did and he immediately replied that he's getting out of the business because he fears a major recession is coming. That job would have really set me up to launch my new company. Luckily I haven't quit my day job.... 

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Glad I didn't buy anything expensive recen..whoops, we bought a new car a month or so, ago! Well..

Luckily I changed my car last year 😅, if I wait for another year I certainly wouldn't change car this year!

I can't help noticing people talking about the financial impact from all of this. Yes, it sucks, but there are financial lessons to be learnt about how to run your business.

1) Credit for new gear shouldn't be the norm.

2) A healthy 3-6 months of expenses would certainly help you weather the storm.

3) If you take on employees, you've also got to think about them.

4) Diversify. Arguably not helpful in a pandemic, but good advice when business turns south.

Any other ideas? Remember the world continues to turn with or without money.

16 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Masks not really useful unless you are already sick.

Best you can do is wash your hands, don’t touch your face and limit your contact with people until the infection rate is under control.

I’m more worried about the broader impact on my businesses. I have employees but it looks like, If the political parties put aside their grievances, we will have some financial relief for employees who become sick and can’t work.

Too bad I can’t take advantage of them since I’m self-employed!

This will be going on for a while, at least until most people have been infected, which could run into the next year. Don't count on extra financial aid from the government, there may be some for a week or two but after that it will become too expensive.