COVID19 Kibosh

fuzzynormal

36 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Anything else thats an anagram of ban?

Speaking of bans, the travel one that Trump has just imposed from Europe that for some reason doesn't include the UK is utterly mind boggling even by his standards.

He's probably very fond of loopholes and just left UK out so basically anyone can come in and out via a stop in the UK, ha! Or maybe he just wants to lure all the sick people into UK and then close it off as well. Or maybe, he's just not that smart.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have an in house contract for a tech company in Seattle. We were told to work from home for the next 3 weeks. Not sure what happens then... Besides that, I have been hanging around the house mostly. Catching up on personal projects.

26 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

I think the death rates in Italy much higher than China, as for instance, they're no less mind-boggling by virus standards as well. This is a severe threat for the whole humankind. 

Weren’t there rumors that China was under reporting death tolls? I would guess that non lethal cases in the US is currently very underreported. 

A country should be governed by a government, not a toddler dictator that goes from 'we got this, it's just a flu, nothing to see here people, don't worry, business as usual' to 'DEFCON 5! RED ALERT! LOCKDOWN PROTOCOL INITIATED!' in a fingersnap, relies on his flawed personal judgements rather than listening to expert advice.

Well, one thing's for sure, we haven't seen the last of it yet. Man, simple island life just living of the land doesn't seem so bad right now.

50 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

Anything else thats an anagram of ban?

Speaking of bans, the travel one that Trump has just imposed from Europe that for some reason doesn't include the UK is utterly mind boggling even by his standards.

Because of the Schengen Visa countries, where its easier to travel across infected countries (Italy, France, Germany and Span mostly) and cities without having easy proof of travel documents. UK comes outside this purview. Having said that, the fact that UK's junior minister of finance is infected herself, and the fact that she met Boris Johnson less than 2 weeks back (more like 1), is a grave matter for concern. UK is suddenly discovering more cases, probably daily, at an alarming rate. 

Right now, THE WHOLE WORLD needs to be in lock-down, with ABSOLUTELY NO travel between any country. Maybe, all cities should also be on lockdown. People should self quarantine themselves for a month, and hopefully, the spread should have reduced substantially by then. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1043366/novel-coronavirus-2019ncov-cases-worldwide-by-country/

What is that Netflix series where a virus kills off everyone older than a teenager?

Seems prophetic...

Levity aside, it isn't great is it?

My own wedding season is supposed to start here in France in 8 weeks time.

Unless this situation peaks soon and begins to improve rapidly, cancellations will begin to happen.

Around 40% of my business/turnover is new bookings on a rolling monthly basis but that has now dried up to zero.

It's not good for anyone or anything.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, sanveer said:

Because of the Schengen Visa countries, where its easier to travel across infected countries (Italy, France, Germany and Span mostly) and cities without having easy proof of travel documents. UK comes outside this purview.

The only difference with the Shengen area is that there are no internal border checks but we still have visa free freedom of movement between the UK and the Shengen (and other EU27) countries during the exiting of the EU transition period so it is still unrestricted.

EDIT>> Sorry mate, I think I now see the point you are making with regard to the travel documentation into the UK if the UK was to be used as a stepping stone. Although with a 14 day requirement in a 30 day window it still will be for people who need to get to the US. 

For the exclusion of the UK to have any logical sense in terms of an effect on containment (and not just act as a US quarantine ward/waiting room for onward travel) it would require the UK to also stop immigration from the Shengen countries and whilst this is the Brexiters wet dream it won't be happening during transition, not least because the UK does not have the border control resources to do it but also the prospect of reciprocity from the EU27 and Shengen countries for UK citizens would be calamitous.

Mind you, it is only 09:00 am in London and Johnson is so in thrall to Trump for the trade deal that that might well happen by tea time ;) 

There is also the small fact that the UK has more cases of COVID19 than 22 of the countries that are included in this ban.

And restricting it to foreign nationals only rather than including US citizens who have been merrily touristing their way around these countries also seems a bit self defeating if your aim is to stop new cases coming into the US !

For what its worth, I think the whole world should self isolate at this point in time but this particular ban just smacks of either politicising it or just plain ignorant stupidity.

Neither of which are a good look right now.

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Well, one thing's for sure, we haven't seen the last of it yet. Man, simple island life just living of the land doesn't seem so bad right now.

Welcome to NZ!

2 hours ago, MrSMW said:

What is that Netflix series where a virus kills off everyone older than a teenager?

• Super Members
30 minutes ago, sanveer said:

21 of the 26 countries, yes. Italy, France, Spain, Switzerland and then UK.

5e62892ffee23d347c732e45.jpeg.jpg

Looks like there has been a big escalation in some of the other countries now, so the UK is now "only" 10th in Europe.

Situation is fluid enough though that that could easily change tomorrow as different countries seem to be announcing their updates at different intervals.

All the more reason to make it all encompassing.

Europe: Italy (12 462), France (2 281), Spain (2 140), Germany (1 567), Switzerland (642), Denmark (516), Netherlands (503), Norway (489), Sweden (462), United Kingdom (456), Belgium (314), Austria (246), Greece (99), Czech Republic (94), Iceland (85), San Marino (66), Finland (59), Portugal (59), Slovenia (57), Romania (45), Ireland (43), Poland (31), Georgia (24), Russia (20), Serbia (18), Croatia (16), Estonia (16), Azerbaijan (13), Hungary (13), Belarus (12), Albania (11), Latvia (10), Slovakia (10), Bulgaria (7), Luxembourg (7), North Macedonia (7), Cyprus (6), Malta (6), Armenia (4), Moldova (4), Bosnia and Herzegovina (3), Liechtenstein (3), Lithuania (3), Andorra (1), Holy See (1), Monaco (1), Turkey (1) and Ukraine (1).

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/geographical-distribution-2019-ncov-cases

More 33% (78) in Portugal as of now... Numbers are outdated in less than hours.

Only to realize how lethal this is... from the 4000 people working (NOT total of infected!) in the Central Hospital in Wuhan, 230 already died. Which means the 0,02% rate (in Italy) as number of contaminated out of the total population occurs because the virus is not widely spread yet. When it is, the number of death rate increases for higher than 10%. Imagine if the virus reaches every regions of the whole planet, we can have hundreds of millions of casualties. We all hope this may be stopped before, of course!

This is the most reliable updated source I've found on topic:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Tom hanks and his wife has the virus now.  I hope he's going to be okay and not die soon. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/12/entertainment/tom-hanks-rita-wilson-coronavirus/index.html

Too bad so many people are going to be losing money on this virus "thing".  I hope we aren't over blowing it -- especially the media.  If the media is over blowing it, it would be the ultimate "clickbait"...  They are hyping it, and regular people are losing money, and opportunities.  Fun times (if that is the case; gosh, I hope Tom hanks -- a pillar of the acting community, "makes it ok" and does not die).

Yeah, it had been posted in the previous page:

The fact MANY celebrities, politicians have been infected in several countries practically at same time, never seen before at this extent, leads me to realize how severe this is and will be... unfortunately.

These numbers are almost meaningless. In belgium they are not even testing most cases. The goverment decided that when feeling cold like symptoms you have to call your doctor and you can stay home for a week. All these cases are not tested on Corona. My wife is sick for 2 weeks now, she visited the doctor 3 times, she got some antibiotics, but we do not know she has got corona..(or my kids or myself who are coughing as well)

7 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Yeah, it had been posted in the previous page:

The fact MANY celebrities, politicians have been infected in several countries practically at same time, never seen before at this extent, leads me to realize how severe this is and will be... unfortunately.

Yeah, I think I heard that Rita and Tom says to watch their latest movie because it could be their last.  Darn you Virus!!!!!  First you cancelled basketball, make me stay home, take away my revenue stream.... NOW YOU ARE KILLING CELEBRITIES!!!!  When is this horror going to end????????  This is going to be worse than SARS/SWINE FLU/MAD COW DISEASE/EBOLA and that virus that caused the "walking dead" situation; COMBINED.

7 minutes ago, eleison said:

Too bad so many people are going to be losing money on this virus "thing".  I hope we aren't over blowing it -- especially the media.  If the media is over blowing it, it would be the ultimate "clickbait"...

Don't worry, many will earn in future blockbusters to tell future generations about it.

3 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

These numbers are almost meaningless. In belgium they are not even testing most cases. The goverment decided that when feeling cold like symptoms you have to call your doctor and you can stay home for a week. All these cases are not tested on Corona. My wife is sick for 2 weeks now, she visited the doctor 3 times, she got some antibiotics, but we do not know she has got corona..(or my kids or myself who are coughing as well)

Governments are too slow to react. Chinese were only one of the few to succeed to control it. Later but succeeded it. As Japanese too. For some reason cameras are usually made there, we can understand now why. The rest of the world should be ashamed, especially Europe. As European citizen, I am. We have no rulers, but a bunch of clowns.

1 minute ago, Emanuel said:

Governments are too slow to react. Chinese were only one of the few to succeed to control it. Later but succeeded it. As Japanese too. For some reason cameras are usually made there, we can understand now why. The rest of the world should be ashamed, especially Europe. As European citizen, I am. We have no rulers, but a bunch of clowns.

Yeah even Trump comes out looking better then our goverment. (no need to skip vacations, lets get those belgians back from Italy, no need to block flights, roads, borders, no need to skip events, ... 2 weeks later WHOOPSIE)