NAB 2020 is CANCELLED!! What now?

IronFilm

https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/03/12/nab-2020-is-officially-canceled/

Noooooo..... NAB is cancelled!!!

I fear its going to get worse in the USA before it gets better. And it has barely even started here in NZ at all.

Brace yourself for a global recession. (which I had believed we were overdue for anyway, even before the Coronavirus struck)

What now for all the companies who would have been at NAB and made announcements?
Announce their new products now? Announce them during when the NAB period would have been? Announce them later on in the year after NAB? (at a different/smaller trade show, that might get cancelled as well? Maybe announcing it late is a better idea? Rather than during the NAB period. As many companies will have their supply chains disrupted and products will be delayed)

image.thumb.png.60b2b69d23154d5ae7507067d3b935ec.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

They are just going to delay them. People are not going to be frivolously spending so why announce? 

I expect there is going to be a broad range of responses, depending on what type of consumers they're targeting, how far along their product development cycle they were, and what their supply chain is like. 

For instance a company which has already completed product development, and who doesn't have a supply chain which isn't majorly impacted by China shutting down (they might even already have built up a large quantity of launch stock) might announce right away. As why wait for the economy to get even worse? Why wait for competitors to catch up to them? Why wait around with all this inventory just sitting there doing nothing?

While those in an opposite scenario will take the opposite approach and may not announce until months after when NAB would've been. 

I m more concerned about loss of revenue for us people due to cancellation of events/launch promo etc due to virus (= no video needed = no income), luckily in here there seem to be no effect so far.

Weddings definitely got hit by coronavirus a bit

45 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

I m more concerned about loss of revenue

As film shoots get cancelled, replace them with bookings for live shoots? As those may see an increase, for "virtual meetings" / "virtual product launches" / etc

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

As film shoots get cancelled, replace them with bookings for live shoots? As those may see an increase, for "virtual meetings" / "virtual product launches" / etc

The company I work for has closed offices to all non-employees here in Germany. We had plans to produce some marketing videos and internal communication but there's a clear rule that no external people can enter any offices, and that includes film crews, so all that has been canceled/delayed to, at minimum, May.

I see this happen at other companies too, so we're not excessively careful. I'd guess it will expand to other countries soon (in multi-national companies, these rules currently are often group wide, i.e. world wide). This is clearly a time I'm happy I'm not self-employed but a 9to5 office drone.

3 hours ago, Emanuel said:

That was completely predictable at this point.

At this point, yes. But up until just a few days ago it was hopefully that maybe perhaps it was still going ahead at a scaled down level. 

However the coronavirus pandemic has just been getting worse and worse by the hour lately. 

After seeing some videos and comments on YouTube I assume you are totally not prepared in US. You are ignoring the issue too much. Italy was doing absolutely nothing first two weeks when they discovered first Covid19 cases. Now they health service has almost clashed. It's also starting to happen in other European countries. We are going to face city or country lockdowns soon.

In US you tested less then 2k people for coronavirus, even though you have more than 1000 cases of infection. Poland tested the same number of people when we had only 20+ cases. And this is not enough, for comparison Germany was able to test 200k people.

It didn't get worse in a few hours lately - it was constantly getting worse for a few weeks now. People just completely ignored the issue thinking "it's just a flu" (guess what - it's not) and "we are prepared". Better go to the store and start buying food. In Europe it's already very hard to buy a lot of common protection items like masks, gloves, hand washing gel etc. Not to mention we are getting short of food like pasta, rice, cans etc.

1 hour ago, hdx said:

In Europe it's already very hard to buy a lot of common protection items like masks, gloves, hand washing gel etc. Not to mention we are getting short of food like pasta, rice, cans etc.

And it's caused by people overreacting.

I just returned from a store with some bread for breakfast, whereas some guy standing in a queue next to me was buying 5 kg of pasta, 20L of Coca Cola and 4 packs of toilet paper (each one has 10 rolls). 

20 more people will do the same and hurray, there is nothing more to buy. It's pure madness.

Some 'businessmen' bought batches of face masks only to sell them for 10x more. 

It's not only the virus that is so dangerous, it's our stupidity. 

1 hour ago, hdx said:

People just completely ignored the issue thinking "it's just a flu" (guess what - it's not) and "we are prepared".

Sure, it's not just a flu, but it's not a black death, either. 

Limit contact with other people, take care of yourself, remember to wash your hands and don't touch your mouth. 

But, for God's sake, keep calm and carry on. Stay home if you can and read some good book, watch Netflix, but don't panic. Don't watch news 24/7 like some do. 

Remember swine flu? I can't remember it was that crazy then. 

Did the diseases and how we approach them change or is it just the effect of our medias trying to create more disruption and making us feel more insecure so that they can get more views and revenue? 

I'm slowly getting tired by this whole craze.

No Kajtek, the situation is dramatic in so many countries in Europe such as Italy or Spain and Iran to count more in the next days/weeks to follow.

There are people dying... 200 hundred per day only in Italy.

People who wouldn't die without it.

In my native one, there is a 17- year-old high school student girl in her deathbed I hope not, but in critical condition who caught it from asymptomatic contaminated colleagues; so the virus is not merely dangerous to old or people with weak health. Neither is as much harmless as other similar viruses, most recent studies say.

ONLY because stupid people to include authorities had that perspective and let the students and staff spent their Carnival school holidays in Venice when local authorities in the north of Italy were already canceling the season events.

Only yesterday, in one sole day, the official numbers raised 50% in Portugal and still up...

Stats, my friend, stats... Overcomes medicine ; ) and requires political measures in every countries. Exactly, because we are in the XXI century, not in the middle age. Aviation and oil business truly have gross income so the show must go on... : X

1/5, that is, 20% of the schools WORLDWIDE have been closing at the moment, as for instance.

What do we think about the future of conventions/floor shows as a whole anyways?

I think it is a lesson for all these companies to create their own little launch events for selected media, influencers and business professionals/customers and keep away from mass organized events. Which... was a direction this was going anyways, this just accelerated things by a whole lot. Of course this mainly hurts the small companies that people might not know about but bump into at one of these shows.

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Remember swine flu? I can't remember it was that crazy then. 

Many of us didn't experience the brunt of it. 

However my partner was a teenager who lived through it in her home city, she saw first hand the worst of it. Is why she has been so very very freaked out about the coronavirus for weeks and weeks now. Even though Helen and I live "far away" in Auckland, it is only a matter of time it seems, especially if our governments and others don't react sensibly to it. 

1 hour ago, Cinegain said:

I think it is a lesson for all these companies to create their own little launch events for selected media, influencers and business professionals/customers and keep away from mass organized events.

It is a heck of a lot more hassle and effort for influencers/professionals/customers/media to go to dozens of events during a year rather than just go to small handful: NAB / CineGear / IBC / etc. 

Heck, for many people they're lucky to just go to ONE of these per year. 

Plus what about the really small companies? Such as Tentacle, Z Cam, or Venus Optics, just to name a few of many many of them!

Next to nobody at all would go to their yearly launch events. But at NAB they can get it viewed by hundreds of even thousands of people, and get media coverage across dozens of sources. This is just plain IMPOSSIBLE for them to do by themselves!

Within 2 months, people will forget about this like they did the ebola virus, swine flu, bird flu, etc.  In the USA, there's been IIRC 30 deaths out of millions of people.  I personally think it's politics.  We will know within 2 months because a lot of highly educated people who understands virus think that just like the flu, it will start to decrease when summer is upon us.  If not - that's fine.  I have a supply of rice, beans, and firearms.  Zombie apocalypse, here we come.

China has been fighting coronavirus for 4 months now. Given most of the governments in Europe or US are not going to take such radical steps (i.e. locking down whole cities) it won't go away that soon. Just be prepared for quarantine, staying at home, public places getting closed down etc. It's already happening in Europe.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

[..]

It is a heck of a lot more hassle and effort for influencers/professionals/customers/media to go to dozens of events during a year rather than just go to small handful: NAB / CineGear / IBC / etc. 

Heck, for many people they're lucky to just go to ONE of these per year. 

Plus what about the really small companies? Such as Tentacle, Z Cam, or Venus Optics, just to name a few of many many of them!

Next to nobody at all would go to their yearly launch events. But at NAB they can get it viewed by hundreds of even thousands of people, and get media coverage across dozens of sources. This is just plain IMPOSSIBLE for them to do by themselves!

Yup, it is more hassle.

True. I hope I can atttend IBC2020 and not that it falls through either.

Jup, I mentioned that.

I didn't say it was a good lesson or that I'm pleased to see it, it's just an observation and projection. But you've been seeing it with major brands having already commited to NOT appearing on shows like these. Same for the car industry and e.g. the Geneva autoshow. They're the ones who go 'yeah, we ain't paying all that money to be on these shows and do a dick measuring contest with the competition 'who has the biggest booth' again, we out, we'll do our own thing'. Same for the Mobile World Congress. Huawei has been doing their own launch events for a few years now, rather than pulling up there. The consequence is that these big fish are needed to fund these events. So when they bugger off... the whole concept kinda implodes in on itself and it takes the small fish with them. But it's heading that direction? That's why the opening question 'What do we think about the future of conventions/floor shows as a whole anyways?'. Can we combat it? How would we? Alternatives?