Kowa Anamorphic-35 1.75X Inflight Insights?

Caleb Genheimer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 3/8/2020 at 12:57 AM, Caleb Genheimer said:

Anyone used one? Have one? I’m on a 1.75X journey right now with an Aivascope, but there’s still something about my Kowa 16-H. Wondering if the “Inflight” 1.75X might be a middle ground. I’ve heard rumors that the mechanics are not as robust as some might like.

I had 3 and sold one recently for 2k. It's an amazing piece of glass. I got the HCDNA machined to fit the Inflight. The one on the top in picture. Redstan makes a great clamp for it.  I shot this with the GH4 a few years back. The Inflight really transforms to the taking lens you use. 

IMG_6240.JPG

Cool, thanks! I saw your vid out there, it seemed like a prime example from someone who rigged it up properly. If you are ever considering parting with another one, I have a good home for it.

Currently getting the ball rolling on my 16mm camera with the Aivascope which is also one of the best pieces of glass I’ve found, except for the fact that it it is a “baby” type scope so it may limit taking lens choices. It seems to support the same FOV taking lens as a 16-H, possibly even a touch wider. Both can truly cover a standard set of primes on any format, which is rare on the wide end for high squeeze factor adapter anamorphics. 

I’m close I think to having my 16mm camera adapted to take Micro 4/3 glass, and my calculations tell me I should be able to use both the Aivascope and the 16-H on that format with the Voightlander set from 17.5-42.5mm (so excluding the 10.5mm.) The center image on those lenses is excellent, even wide open, so on 16mm they will look fantastic. But the large front elements might not play so well with the baby scope.

3 hours ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Cool, thanks! I saw your vid out there, it seemed like a prime example from someone who rigged it up properly. If you are ever considering parting with another one, I have a good home for it.

Currently getting the ball rolling on my 16mm camera with the Aivascope which is also one of the best pieces of glass I’ve found, except for the fact that it it is a “baby” type scope so it may limit taking lens choices. It seems to support the same FOV taking lens as a 16-H, possibly even a touch wider. Both can truly cover a standard set of primes on any format, which is rare on the wide end for high squeeze factor adapter anamorphics. 

I’m close I think to having my 16mm camera adapted to take Micro 4/3 glass, and my calculations tell me I should be able to use both the Aivascope and the 16-H on that format with the Voightlander set from 17.5-42.5mm (so excluding the 10.5mm.) The center image on those lenses is excellent, even wide open, so on 16mm they will look fantastic. But the large front elements might not play so well with the baby scope.

I will! I use the 25mm 0.95 Voightlander without the HCDA with Kowa Inflight and the 17.5mm with GH5. I love the look of those as well. The Aivascope and 16-H are both great pieces of glass. This entire video was shot with Kowa Inflight and 25mm f0.95 Voightlander. 

That video is fantastic! I’m definitely going to be on the hunt for this 1.75X Kowa now. Seems like a real winner that I’d sell my other scopes to get ahold of.

I’m FLOORED that more people aren’t talking about the 1.75X Aivascope though. Just the fact that it is currently produced for the anamorphic market and that it goes so wide and is so small is crazy. There’s very little out there and most of it seems to be about his initial lens, but this Version 2 seems very sharp with good rendering. 

• 1 month later...