GH5 to BMMCC conversion.......attempt!

kye

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok, I think I've got my head around a few things.

The unknowns are:

• UV filter
  • Lenses
  • RGB filters on sensor
  • WB image processing on GH5
  • Colour profile (3D LUT) on GH5
  • Compression

UV filter and Lens I have eliminated by testing the UV filter and 14mm lens vs 14-42mm lens without UV filter, and these are within ~1% of each other, so as I am not going to get within 1% in my matching, I can eliminate these as variables between the cameras.

RGB filters on the sensor I can work out the transformation for by matching a RAW still image from the GH5 to a RAW DNG from the Micro in uncompressed RAW.

Compression is separate to colour so I can treat that separately via resolution tests.

WB image processing on the GH5 and the Colour Profile will take some doing, but here's the plan.

The camera applies the RGB filters, then on top of that applies the WB, then on top of that applies the Colour Profile.  So, what I have to do is to correct the colour profile, then the WB, then convert the RGB filters from the GH5 to the Micro, then I will have a matching GH5 image in Linear to the Micro image in Linear.

So, firstly I work out the RGB filter adjustments (via a 3x3 in Linear).  Then I construct the following: <colour profile compensation> ------> <WB compensation> ----> RGB compensation.

At first I will know the third, but not the first and second.  The trick is separating them, so I can shoot the same image in two different WB settings.  If I make it so that one of the shots has had the right WB and one has the wrong WB, then I just make it so that one has a WB adjustment built in and one does not, and then I work out how to make the colour profile compensation so that it works for both WB settings.  This should separate the WB adjustment from the colour profile compensation.

This should give an adjustment that will work regardless of the WB on the clip.

Hooray for year 10 algebra :)