Photokina 2020 - victim of coronavirus?

Andrew Reid

15 hours ago, Mokara said:

The 3.5% number is arrived at by dividing deaths by the sum of active and closed cases, and therefore is not correct because it ignores the 15% of active cases that are in serious or critical condition. About a third of those people will probably die (that is the group new deaths are coming from - people who are classified as mild cases are not dying).

They should only be using the closed cases for calculating the mortality rate, and currently that is 5.7%, not 3.5%.

The mortality rate is slowly decreasing (it has gone from 6.1% to 5.7% over the last week or so), but that is not because they are picking up milder cases, but rather because they are becoming more experienced treating the critical patients and starting the treatment earlier for high risk patients so they are less likely to reach that point.

Definitely. But on the other wise, it is worth mentioning that the number doesn't include anyone who got coronavirus, but was not sick enough to go to the doctor and have it officially identified.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The number of people in serious or critical condition should decrease as medical care facilities become more experienced in treating cases, so the number of deaths per infection should decrease as we get further into the pandemic (in developed countries anyway - developing countries are another story, but the epidemic has not reached them for the most part yet). If you look at the historical mortality rate for the virus in closed cases you can see this. At first it was quite high, but as numbers increased it decreased, although the rate of decrease is quite low now. 

Well, I didn't have to wait long - there is a case of COVID-19 in the hospital where I'm having my classes right now. He's on a proper isolation ward, but still. 

We, students, are to avoid any contact with all the patients, since we're almost perfect vectors for the virus, but are still obliged to attend our courses, even though all we do is having countless seminars. 

Plain stupid, if you ask me. 

I'm the manager of a movie theater on Cape Cod, our business has been absolutely tanking this month compared to last year. I'm glad my wife works from home in medical billing and coding, because if it gets bad here we will have to close temporarily.

75% of our customers this time of year are over the age of 65. 

I work in tourism, lots of trade shows, conferences, gatherings and sporting events are being cancelled. I'd be surprised if NAB actually happens. My bet is before officially announcing, they're looking at how to break the contracts without paying stiff penalties - many exhibitors are probably doing the same. 

Chris

19 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

Black Swan event. You'll tell your grandkids about this time.

Back in the day when there was civilization, before Mad Max showed up and everything degenerated into lawless anarchy. Even today I can vividly recall the days when roving bands of bandits roamed the streets in their cars festooned with toilet paper....

8 hours ago, Mokara said:

Back in the day when there was civilization, before Mad Max showed up and everything degenerated into lawless anarchy. Even today I can vividly recall the days when roving bands of bandits roamed the streets in their cars festooned with toilet paper....

so thats where all the toilet paper went 😲 i'm 266 kilometers from a capital city, even out here we have had panic buying

tom hanks and his wife is apparently up at the gold coast uni hospital  with coronavirus. So potentially anyone is likely to catch it.

IMG20200310131726.jpg

Someone sent me this one:

https://www.huffingtonpost.it/entry/la-virologa-gismondo-60-70-di-italiani-sara-positivo-ma-non-preoccupiamoci_it

So, no hard to take the picture why a country with about 12% of the total infected, shares 1/4 of death people with 200-250 deaths a day in the last days, 15x above the world average for the population ratio figures...

image.thumb.png.7b4490fe5dc459f1ba8eda6bcded2d27.png

And here's Germany numbers to compare (take a look on the number of deaths and patients in serious / critical condition and don't be surprised why people prefer the German cars, lenses, cameras and so on... mind you, German girls as well? : D sorry the joke in so dramatic times!) :

image.thumb.png.5369bbab717411c638296f87e1b11626.png

This is what some experts have to say on the same topic!

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-expert-opinions/

stats source