Photokina 2020 - victim of coronavirus?

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

If you play John Lennon’s “Imagine All The People” on loop for 48 hours (even when you sleep) it will kill the virus.

This advice comes from the top of the US Gov’t. The very top.

Lennon and the rest of The Beatles were on to this shit years ago.

640462176_beatlesmask.thumb.jpg.f0098021ea4c2bd37788a74d7dd424e6.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

We've already had 2 events cancelled due to the virus here in Madrid, Spain. So it's already affecting our income. Other events looking like they might cancel or postpone. 

We also have rental apartments and bookings are way down. But I think I have a solution for that. We can hire them to the government as quarantine units!

17 hours ago, leslie said:

hey ironfilms is devondale a nz company ? as i did buy a couple of liters of long life milk yesterday, just in case. nothing quite like a tall glass of cold milk.

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/groceries/brands/devondale-milk/

They're Australian. 

I've got powdered milk at home already. 

During today's shopping trip I bought out the entire stock of canned mackerel at the supermarket. 

I already thought the economy was on its way to a recession in the near to medium term future, before the Coronavirus even happened. But this will definitely tip many companies over the edge, is going to trigger a recession. 

One of these companies downtown ("Travcour"), which uses couriers, normally processes 30 visa *per day*, but the past month.... they've done ONE!

And the Coronavirus hasn't even really hit NZ yet, it's going to get worse before it gets better. 

Many people are having shoots getting cancelled on them.

20 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I already thought the economy was on its way to a recession in the near to medium term future, before the Coronavirus even happened. But this will definitely tip many companies over the edge, is going to trigger a recession. 

One of these companies downtown ("Travcour"), which uses couriers, normally processes 30 visa *per day*, but the past month.... they've done ONE!

And the Coronavirus hasn't even really hit NZ yet, it's going to get worse before it gets better. 

Many people are having shoots getting cancelled on them.

I am really curious with Round the bay Marathon coming up this sun how many more cases will pop up after the run.

Then there will be massive panic like Italy.

Currently non of our event jobs is getting canned atm, all going ahead.

I cancelled a few orders and preorders.. better to have $$$ in the bank just in case at this stage.

2 hours ago, ntblowz said:

I am really curious with Round the bay Marathon coming up this sun how many more cases will pop up after the run.

Ohhhh.... forgot about that! And I live just a few meters away from the start line. 
I really should run it. 
But then again, maybe I should not....

Then there will be massive panic like Italy.

Our incompetent government needs to panic a bit more!

As our biosecurity is super tight usually, we won't even let you bring in so much as a slice of apple! OH NO, WE'LL FREAK RIGHT OUT IF YOU TRY THAT! Into jail you go. 

But if you walk off the airplane coughing and sneezing? Nah all good old mate, just wave you right in, and hand you this flyer to read. 

Currently non of our event jobs is getting canned atm, all going ahead.

Every time I open up the Facebook app I see yet more friends of mine mentioning that jobs have been cancelled, and they're losing out on work. 

But they're all overseas friends, such as losing out because SXSW got cancelled. Which is crazy, as usually during SXSW it is so insanely busy you couldn't get an Austin Sound Mixer for love or gold! They're all booked out. But now I'm seeing them post about their entire week being free and open. 

Haven't noticed anybody locally saying this, wellll.... one cameraman here in Auckland posted that yesterday that his week suddenly opened up, but don't know if that was coronavirus related or not. 

I cancelled a few orders and preorders.. better to have $$$ in the bank just in case at this stage.

Missed out last week on the latest fully loaded Lectrosonics Venue 2 for sale going dirt dirt cheap! So annoyed about that, would really have liked it. 

But I didn't have the six grand spare to buy it 😞
However you're right, even if I did, I probably shouldn't have purchased it as I should watch my spending. 

As we might have a some very dry months coming up ahead for us freelance contractors. 

However, I did add a Lectrosonics LT to my collection this week 😉 Wooo!

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

https://www.canstarblue.com.au/groceries/brands/devondale-milk/

They're Australian. 

I've got powdered milk at home already. 

During today's shopping trip I bought out the entire stock of canned mackerel at the supermarket. 

i was pretty sure they were, just seeing if you would bite :)  thats a lot of fish no doubt. Your not buying all the toilet paper as well are you ? people have been going stupid over toilet paper. That was the main story on the news last night, seems their somehow connecting corona virus with a gasto bug 🙄 Meats not really an issue, picking up 3 sheep that have been hanging in the butchers cold room for a week, tomorrow afternoon. But with the drought haven't tried growing so much as a been this year.

It’s all a conspiracy by Fuji.

XT4 gets announced and folks across the interwebs start linking it with the Olympics for completely inexplicable reasons that even they don’t understand but because they read it ‘somewhere’, then yeah, it’s a thing.

Fuji picks up on this and begin to suffer small willy syndrome in comparison with those 12” monster DSLR’s that Canon and Nikon keep insisting on making but no one including even Fro Knows buys anymore.

Fuji release virus so Olympics will be cancelled.

It’s pretty obvious when you consider all the facts.

It’s going to backfire on them though because the way things are headed, my preorder for a pair is now not likely to be delivered (and therefore cancelled if this looks likely) in time for this years wedding season...if that itself even happens.

On 3/4/2020 at 10:56 AM, BTM_Pix said:

I'm too busy obsessing over stats to build even a tin foil beret at the moment let alone the full hat.

Thus far I'm comforting myself with "You're in a city with 14 million people and they take 8.5 million subway rides per day and they only have 60 cases".

Doesn't stop me convincing myself I'm nailed on to be number 61 of course.

Lots of people will be infected and cure themselves thinking it is a common flu. Governments are only testing people that came from the areas with most cases, and the people that had contact with them.

But probably along the way these people infected people that were just wandering near them, and could be not directly linked to the infected ones.

Only when these people escalate the symptoms and needed special care they will be confirmed cases. Most of the infected will never know.

• Administrators

Yes I think a lot of people have it, didn't realise, didn't care or didn't get checked. Which in good news, means the 3.5% overall death rate is probably lower. The knock on impact is bound to get out of control, it's already mutated into two strains, one more deadly than the other and there are economic / social dangers.

The issue with putting a statistic or rate on anything is that the virus impacts different people differently... I don't want my mum to get it, who is in her 70's.

I think in Europe we might need to start taking it a bit more seriously and get more of a clue about where it's heading.

Some people on the London underground think a bucket will do it...

buckethead.jpg

32 minutes ago, leslie said:

how does that bucket not fog up ? just the thought of it makes me hyperventilate 😲

Oh that's easy. There is a spray you can get that swimmers use for inside their goggles.

Anyway, she's doing it wrong because she needs a canary in there.

If the canary falls off it's perch, basically you are fucked.

On 3/6/2020 at 1:18 AM, leslie said:

i was pretty sure they were, just seeing if you would bite :)  thats a lot of fish no doubt. Your not buying all the toilet paper as well are you ? people have been going stupid over toilet paper.

Well, I live in an office building so I haven't purchased toilet paper in years!

22 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes I think a lot of people have it, didn't realise, didn't care or didn't get checked. Which in good news, means the 3.5% overall death rate is probably lower. The knock on impact is bound to get out of control, it's already mutated into two strains, one more deadly than the other and there are economic / social dangers.

The issue with putting a statistic or rate on anything is that the virus impacts different people differently... I don't want my mum to get it, who is in her 70's.

I think in Europe we might need to start taking it a bit more seriously and get more of a clue about where it's heading.

Some people on the London underground think a bucket will do it...

The 3.5% number is arrived at by dividing deaths by the sum of active and closed cases, and therefore is not correct because it ignores the 15% of active cases that are in serious or critical condition. About a third of those people will probably die (that is the group new deaths are coming from - people who are classified as mild cases are not dying).

They should only be using the closed cases for calculating the mortality rate, and currently that is 5.7%, not 3.5%.

The mortality rate is slowly decreasing (it has gone from 6.1% to 5.7% over the last week or so), but that is not because they are picking up milder cases, but rather because they are becoming more experienced treating the critical patients and starting the treatment earlier for high risk patients so they are less likely to reach that point.