Canon will be announcing a new Cinema EOS camera ahead of NAB in April

Hayk

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I struggle to see how they'd slot a camera in between the C200 an C500mkII. I guess the only way it would make sense is if it is a broadcast-focused version with 10-bit and 4K60, but then where is it priced that it won't simply be overlooked in favour of the C500mkII. And what do you leave out to reach an acceptable comparative price point? Raw? FF?

I think a C100 replacement does make sense. It's a no brainer, really. C200, but without raw.

7 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I think a C100 replacement does make sense. It's a no brainer, really. C200, but without raw.

You stole my words out of my mouth. 

The C100 is waaaaaaaaaaaay overdue for an update.

And the best odds is it will be almost identical to a C200, but without raw. 

Which will make the C100 mk3 more attractive than the C200 for many people. 

6 hours ago, ade towell said:

A C100 mk2 would be great but would love it to have 10 bit rather than just the 8 bit that is in the C200. Have been spoilt maybe by the GH5 and XT3 and would feel 8 bit is a backward step in 2020. It would allow for better use of the different c-logs

This is Canon. Bet the C100 mk3 will have 4K 8bit as its best quality option. 

I struggle to see how they'd slot a camera in between the C200 an C500mkII. I guess the only way it would make sense is if it is a broadcast-focused version with 10-bit and 4K60, but then where is it priced that it won't simply be overlooked in favour of the C500mkII. And what do you leave out to reach an acceptable comparative price point? Raw? FF?

That would kill off the C300mk2, would be a "C300mk3"

Not happening. Beating on a C100mk3

3 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

C100 Mk2 with IBIS and RF Mount. 

I'd be SHOCKED if it was Canon who gave us the first cinema camera with IBIS. 

1 hour ago, MeanRevert said:

It feels weird to look forward to a camera announcement from Canon.

Don't worry, in 3.... 2.... 1... you'll get disappointed by Canon again! 😉

Well C500 II is FF so C300 can be spec of C500 but Super 35mm.

38 minutes ago, independent said:

So people want a c300ii for the price of a c100ii and call it a c100iii. 

Yeah its gonna be weird. Seems like they can't release a C100 mk3 without dethroning the C300 MK2. The C300 MK2 is such a low bar. That camera should have had 4k 60p to begin with. A C200 mk2 seems like it would compete to much with the C500 MK2. 

However, there is a gap at $10K market, the C300 II, Sony FX9 for documentary, news gathering, etc. 

I bet:

• 4K full frame (supersampled 6K like the Sony FX9 ) with high frame rates at 10-bit codecs to protect the c500 II.
  • RF mount, which will push the pricey lenses while still being easily adaptable to EF.
  • IBIS they've been working on in the R5, which will keep it competitive with the FX9's gyro.

11 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah its gonna be weird. Seems like they can't release a C100 mk3 without dethroning the C300 MK2. The C300 MK2 is such a low bar. That camera should have had 4k 60p to begin with. A C200 mk2 seems like it would compete to much with the C500 MK2. 

Canon should update the C200, which unlikely was a hit, with 10-bit codecs. And add IBIS and the RF mount. At around the same price (or maybe slightly cheaper). I think they would move some units. 

11 minutes ago, independent said:

However, there is a gap at $10K market, the C300 II, Sony FX9 for documentary, news gathering, etc. 

I bet:

• 4K full frame (supersampled 6K like the Sony FX9 ) with high frame rates at 10-bit codecs to protect the c500 II.
  • RF mount, which will push the pricey lenses while still being easily adaptable to EF.
  • IBIS they've been working on in the R5, which will keep it competitive with the FX9's gyro.

so a C500 MK2 without RAW?

1 minute ago, independent said:

Canon should update the C200, which unlikely was a hit, with 10-bit codecs. And add IBIS and the RF mount. At around the same price (or maybe slightly cheaper). I think they would move some units. 

Yeah I guess its S35 so it doesn't Dethrone the C500 MK2

I don't think the C300 crowd would really demand RAW or 6K (cumbersome workflow, storage requirements), those would be more for narrative, creative projects. That crowd would prefer efficient codecs to accommodate news gathering, live events, reality/docs, etc. I also think that's why IBIS would be key for them. Goodbye easy rigs! And the full frame would be important for light-gathering in uncontrolled environments and flexibility for focal lengths in tight locations.  

Imo will be the C300 III as there is a big gap between c200 and C500 II and the C300 II is now quite old ….. so it can be one of this:

- same sensor as the C500 II but max out at 4k (maybe without RAW but still think that RAW will be in all Canon Cinema cameras) at 11k usd to compete with the FX9

or

- s35 4k 10bit and RAW <10k usd