Inspecting the Fuji GFX 100, and having a cup of tea

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, kye said:

In order to use Large Format lenses?  When will it end?!?!?!

In order to use real mendium format lenses.

I really want andrew to stop spending his money on shit. I've seen him for years buying crap. All that time and money could have been spent on good things.

When does it end it? It ends with medium format, its good enough.

I demand andrew TO SELL all his crap, all lenses all cameras,and only keep the fuji 100, the speedbooster and a planar 80 2.8

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Nikkor said:

In order to use real mendium format lenses.

I really want andrew to stop spending his money on shit. I've seen him for years buying crap. All that time and money could have been spent on good things.

When does it end it? It ends with medium format, its good enough.

I demand andrew TO SELL all his crap, all lenses all cameras,and only keep the fuji 100, the speedbooster and a planar 80 2.8

What he really needs to buy is a second MC21 so that the next time he leaves his current one at the hotel we will have a spare one so that our GFX100/P6K/S1H face off doesn't descend into the two of us standing in the baking heat shouting "Oh fuck" at each other over the sound of F1 cars hurtling past.

Like it just has.

We really should have made a vlog to document just how many fuck ups two apparently competent people can make in an a 24 hour period.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

What he really needs to buy is a second MC21 so that the next time he leaves his current one at the hotel we will have a spare one so that our GFX100/P6K/S1H face off doesn't descend into the two of us standing in the baking heat shouting "Oh fuck" at each other over the sound of F1 cars hurtling past.

Like it just has.

We really should have made a vlog to document just how many fuck ups two apparently competent people can make in an a 24 hour period.

OH NOES!!!

• Super Members
4 hours ago, kye said:

OH NOES!!!

You don't know the half of it.

We had a great time and can recommend an excellent Thai restaurant but as for any meaningful comparison testing you'll all just have to rent the cameras yourselves.

Although the working title for our next series of misadventures should definitely be Planes, Trains and No Autofocus.

With regard to the GFX100 itself though....yeah, wow.

• Administrators

The good news is I did in fact bring the MC-21 to Barcelona. It's not pick-pocketed, it's right there where I left it in the suitcase.

GREAT JOB MR REID!

A bit late for a meaningful comparison but we DID shoot some Blackmagic raw files of the F1

Unfortunately we have no idea what as not once could I see the screen in the sun.

Cue Blackmagic Bots in 3,2,1....

• Super Members

I had a look at them on the back of the camera on the train and at least one of the shots is in focus which is one more than I was expecting.

Curious about the false colour on the P6K though because I set the exposure quite conservatively but a few of them look horribly overexposed.

The most impactful thing during any of the tests though has to be that Contax Zeiss 35-70mm when it went on the GFX100.

Mojo is a pretty nebulous term but I'm quite prepared to use it in this instance. 

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I had a look at them on the back of the camera on the train and at least one of the shots is in focus which is one more than I was expecting.

Curious about the false colour on the P6K though because I set the exposure quite conservatively but a few of them look horribly overexposed.

The most impactful thing during any of the tests though has to be that Contax Zeiss 35-70mm when it went on the GFX100.

Mojo is a pretty nebulous term but I'm quite prepared to use it in this instance. 

Makes me curious to try some more Contax Zeiss on it. The 40-80mm F3.5 maybe. Ended up getting the 35mm F2.4 Zeiss Jena from that shop. Very good macro, very sharp, a gentle swoop and swirl in the bokeh rendering, it's glorious.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

How about a JVC LF300 where the LF stands for large format.

They can partner with Leica AND Zeiss so we can finally have a Summicron Planar T* lens.

Funnily enough we were actually discussing some sort of VSM mode for the GFX100 today as we were putting all manner of different format lenses on it.

The Contax Zeiss 35-70mm above for example just needed moving to about 37mm to avoid vignetting and it would be great to just have that scaling as per the LS300 to keep the FOV.

There is massive scope for Fujifilm to develop the GFX100.

I said the other week that it is a camera that I could buy and then just turn the internet off and live happily ever after and although it was slightly tongue in cheek (we are addicts after all ;) ) its actually not that unrealistic if Fujifilm really go for it.

Today, we were using it for something that was ridiculous really as a proposition but I saw enough to make me think that it wasn't so inappropriate after all. 

With some work from Fujifilm, it really could become the ultimate hybrid, though more realistically for the rest of us that will be when they incorporate the video stuff in the next 50mp version.

Yes its got a huge price tag but at the end of the day I'd sooner spend £8K on a camera that really inspires me to go out and shoot with it than have £4K tied up in cameras that leave me a bit cold.

Put it this way, after also having access today to the other camera that could vie for the title of best hybrid, it won't be the S1-H that I'll be scheming to try and justify purchasing to the other half ;)

• Super Members
52 minutes ago, independent said:

You guys also left behind the 1DX III.

Not for me personally we didn't.

A mirrorless version of it perhaps, to not only address it being a seamless transiton from stills to video because of the EVF but also to break away from the EF mount.

The EF mount is good as an intermediary mount but not as a final destination as it rules out (most) PL lenses and all M mount lenses.

Its this latter aspect particularly that makes the P6K far less useful to me than the P4K but its a personal preference.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

No personal experience with CZ's but in my research I came across more than one person saying that the 35-70 was the best lens ever made, bar none, so it's got a bit of a reputation.

I think the slower aperture might eliminate it for some people, but IIRC it's pretty good wide open so realistically that's better than a 2.8 that doesn't sharpen up until it's stopped down a couple of stops.

Show us some footage already!!  :) 

1 hour ago, BTM_Pix said:

There is massive scope for Fujifilm to develop the GFX100.

Well, in my mind it doesn’t make sense NOT to move in the direction of a VSM for future Fujifilm GFX cameras. It’s just another way to make use of that huge sensor and offer a value add for buyers. I’m sure people that would be interested in shelling out 10K for a GFX camera also have legacy glass or use another system to begin with. Makes a lot of sense to me.