Inspecting the Fuji GFX 100, and having a cup of tea

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

gfx-100-dream-lens-scaled.jpg

I often look at the 4 or 5 cameras in my bag and think “this cost me far too much and they’re all the same”. Then I have a cup of tea and try to forget about it.

Yes it’s true, the full frame market is overcrowded and image quality differences between them are getting smaller. What about selling 3 or 4 of those cameras, I thought to myself… And consolidating them into one giant mad one.

So this happened…

https://www.eoshd.com/filmmaking/inspecting-the-fuji-gfx-100-and-having-a-cup-of-tea/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You are beating me to the punch with this, but I’m grateful for this information. I’ll be getting this camera with a few lenses and accessories for it in the next coming weeks. This will be my last camera purchase, specifically for cinema, for a while. Thanks again for this write up and glorious images!

• Super Members
4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The best hybrid camera ever? Better than a Panasonic S1H? I'd love to see the two of them shoot it out head to head. 

We are both en route to an undisclosed European location to do some of that with the added bonus of the P6K being involved.

Well he's already there and I'm en route in a car that couldn't be carrying more batteries if it was a Tesla.

We might even do a "Hey guys whats happening" vlog about it *

* spoiler.....we won't be

3 hours ago, androidlad said:

The top sub-display, like X-H1, isn't e-ink, it's a transflective matrix LCD.

https://www.sharpsma.com/products?sharpCategory=Memory LCD&sharpProductRecordId=1504572

Wish the X-T4 had that!

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

We might even do a "Hey guys whats happening" vlog about it *

YAAAAAAAAY!!!

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

* spoiler.....we won't be

Ohhhhhh.....

• Administrators

Yes it's true. I escaped 6 months of drizzle, flooding, and unworkably shit cloud covered light to do an actual shoot.

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The best hybrid camera ever? Better than a Panasonic S1H? I'd love to see the two of them shoot it out head to head. 

We will find that out as I brought that with me as well.

The first time it has seen sunlight

I dare say the S1H is a bit cleaner in low light at 6400+

Great looking images, especially this one, which at first I thought might have been selectively blurred in post because it had that painterly / impressionistic rendering of the out-of-focus areas:

DSCF8731b.jpg

Also, a question - you mention you don't like focus peaking, are you using the AF or are you focusing manually without peaking?  I'm curious as the peaking on my GH5 leaves a bit to be desired and I've contemplated just turning it off and doing it by eye..

1 hour ago, kye said:

I'm curious as the peaking on my GH5 leaves a bit to be desired and I've contemplated just turning it off and doing it by eye..

Only with the EVF. I find it really hard to judge when using the low resolution flip screen. So hoping we get a better screen on a GH camera. It's those practical upgrades that make a difference every time you pick up the camera.

Hi Andrew, thank you for sharing a few pictures, they look amazing!  I would love to see a demonstration of what the video work you describe looks like, please upload some examples if you can.

Fuji is running a free-rental promotion for the X-T3 here in Canada and I tried it out recently (couple pics below) and found it great for an APS-C camera (tons of fun to use, great colours), but really lacking the beautiful foreground separation of full-frame and I imagine Medium-Format could look even more beautiful than FF.  Also the battery life on the X-T3 was atrocious in video-mode (it died after 25 minutes in 4k).  How is the GFX 100 battery life?  Thank you.

Nick.jpg

SInclair Underpass.jpg

Swan with reflection.jpg