Mad Mike case

Emanuel

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mad-mike-hughes-daredevil-and-flat-earth-theorist-killed-in-rocket-crash-2020-02-22/

How's this possible in the XXI century?

Isn't there a limit for freedom of thinking?

Flat earth theorist !?? Are they kidding me?

Aren't there mental health authorities in US? I mean US, but could be anywhere else. Seems pretty clear to me, there's a border between common sense vs (plain/full) insanity.

Why not to simply forbid this kind of acrobatics? Last time I heard there are rules for drones to fly...

IMHO society (that is, all of us) represented by the State is responsible for such loss.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mad-mike-hughes-daredevil-and-flat-earth-theorist-killed-in-rocket-crash-2020-02-22/

Flat earth theorist !?? Are they kidding me? Why not to simply forbid this kind of acrobatics? Last time I heard there are rules for drones to fly...

Are you really that shocked there are people who believe in a flat earth, considering all of the other ludicrous things people believe? We're humans, we're fallible, our brains look for patterns and connections that may not actually exist. We've always been this way and we always will be.

Why would he, or anyone for that matter, be forbidden to launch a rocket (assuming all of the legal aspects had been taken care of)? I'm not sure if you're asking seriously but who would be the arbiter for allowing or forbidding freedom of thinking? Seems to be a slippery slope to me...

It appears this man was very much a proponent of questioning the world around you; what's wrong with that? Did he take it too far? Probably. "It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.” (Carl Sagan)

I'm just disappointed he wasn't able to successfully launch the rocket and see for himself that the earth is, indeed, spherical. 

Do not be misled! The Great Conspiracy of Cartographers will not prevail! Despite their efforts to sabotage the search for TRUTH with this “accident”, the TRUTH will be revealed!!! Martyr Mike’s body may now be led to rest under the flat earth, but the TRUTH will rise and take it’s ascendancy over the promulgations of the false spherical earth theorists!!!!!

Insanity is a severe mental disorder and State should be responsible for, in order to provide efficient assistance.

Your freedom of thinking is harmless until the day it can hurt.

I don't like to use safety belt in my car, as well I find too boring any rules, those about drones included.

But, sense of community and rationality -- the reason, means to respect them. This comprehends to respect the others.

Your freedom CANNOT prevail over the freedom of other people or the rights and civilized principles such as caring of patients with mental problems, even if apparently healthy because Psychiatry is a truly complex medical specialty. Let alone the whole invisible world behind.

Respect common sense is an obligation of yours to see your right of free thinking to be respected as well.

We're not living in the Germany of 30s. This applies for both ends. Got it?

E : -)

PS:

Not only the State but also the sponsors are responsible for this tragedy. They created such a circus in this crazy world of profit where we all live in. A shame, a crime without punishment too. I do care about the world around me. It invariably concerns me. Or I just am an(other) accomplice.

http://balua.org/mission-take-the-rooster-of-barcelos-into-near-space-by-marco-neiva/

Disclaimer: This is a project that was financed by a friend and business partner of mine, also stereographer (has worked with Peter Greenaway BTW IMDb LINK), no one had to be killed or was harmed (rooster included) to collaterally photograph and show the spherical reality as it is...

4 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Aren't there mental health authorities in US? I mean US, but could be anywhere else. Seems pretty clear to me, there's a border between common sense vs (plain/full) insanity.

Why not to simply forbid this kind of acrobatics? Last time I heard there are rules for drones to fly...

IMHO society (that is, all of us) represented by the State is responsible for such loss.

Flat earth is not a US only thing.  Dumb people are dumb in your country and mine. 

No need to take shots at the US, why do this?

5 hours ago, Emanuel said:

It is not illegal to be crazy. As long as you are not endangering others or going somewhere you are not supposed to, most governments in democratic states give you a lot of leeway to do whatever you want.

A better question would be why the Science Channel was taking part in this.

Was Evel Knievel crazy?

The problem with your question is who determines who's crazy?

The other problem is you making your question political. You sound like you're "politically motivated to judge people".   Sorry but that's not how it works. It's how you want it to work but - NO - that's why you have people that keep you checked and balanced.

Probably just ignorant or too naive as some other alternatives or excuses, isn't it? ; )

3 hours ago, Super8 said:

Flat earth is not a US only thing.  Dumb people are dumb in your country and mine. 

No need to take shots at the US, why do this?

No, read again my post... "I mean US, but could be anywhere else." I think I left it clear, no? Of course, there are silly people everywhere WTH.

Evel Knievel never scheduled a stupid agenda to justify his entertainment business AFAIK. Horses for courses.

I think and do defend authorities should play a role on certain cases. Insanity can be dangerous as much as flying drones or rockets for that matter. No idea how people stare to attend such sad show. First question to come to my mind: are we talking about a licensed or allowed activity to begin with? To launch rockets to the space like we all live in somewhere more than 100 years ago? Last time I checked we are in 2020... ; -)

Shame on everyone who let this happen.

Looks like the guy just wanted to do a stunt and play with rockets in the first place. The flat earth thing seems to be an excuse.
As dumb as he and his team were, they knew that a steam rocket couldn't go very high. A small Cessna ride at the local airport would have brought him much higher than this rocket. But by playing stupid game, he won stupid prize...

6 hours ago, darrellcraig said:

Do not be misled! The Great Conspiracy of Cartographers will not prevail! Despite their efforts to sabotage the search for TRUTH with this “accident”, the TRUTH will be revealed!!! Martyr Mike’s body may now be led to rest under the flat earth, but the TRUTH will rise and take it’s ascendancy over the promulgations of the false spherical earth theorists!!!!!

no no, we give him proper send off, burial at sea in a large  wooden barge, complete with flaming arrows and watch him ascend to vallhella. Oh  and we should probably film it too 😎

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

I don't like to use safety belt in my car, as well I find too boring any rules, those about drones included.

science proves seatbelts save lives, i think your crazy if you dont wear one willingly

10 hours ago, Emanuel said:

You're assuming all this guy's attitude and motivation was genuine.  By all accounts he was a quirky dude that wanted to screw around with building crap.  The flat-earth thing gave him an excuse and notoriety to do so.  If he could have grabbed more attention by exploiting 70 year old grandmas that made quilts, he would probably have done that.  

In fact. And let's not confound this with Franky Zapata please. Not strictly because one succeeded, the other doesn't. One had a noble purpose -- yes, that matters, makes the whole difference. The other one, unfortunately, pure madness.

Yes, in a word: science. Pops up mind, head, in short, something with brains. That's why is different, not exactly because of the results per se. We usually call it achievement from a paradigm made with sense of proportion (again: reason, rationality, purpose), where and when there's such thing to justify the risk.

The craziness is not on the fearless-guts but the whole world around. The method or its lack. Because requires grounds. As someone commented here: "He died of stupidity rather than genuine rocket research." A suicide mission as someone else also wrote. A stupid one as it's easy to infer. That's not news.

6 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Probably just ignorant or too naive as some other alternatives or excuses, isn't it? ; )

No, read again my post... "I mean US, but could be anywhere else." I think I left it clear, no? Of course, there are silly people everywhere WTH.

Evel Knievel never scheduled a stupid agenda to justify his entertainment business AFAIK. Horses for courses.

I think and do defend authorities should play a role on certain cases. Insanity can be dangerous as much as flying drones or rockets for that matter. No idea how people stare to attend such sad show. First question to come to my mind: are we talking about a licensed or allowed activity to begin with? To launch rockets to the space like we all live in somewhere more than 100 years ago? Last time I checked we are in 2020... ; -)

Shame on everyone who let this happen.

You don't know the details about the event and are politically motivated.

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

In fact. And let's not confound this with Franky Zapata please. Not strictly because one succeeded, the other doesn't. One had a noble purpose -- yes, that matters, makes the whole difference. The other one, unfortunately, pure madness.

Yes, in a word: science. Pops up mind, head, in short, something with brains. That's why is different, not exactly because of the results per se. We usually call it achievement from a paradigm made with sense of proportion (again: reason, rationality, purpose), where and when there's such thing to justify the risk.

The craziness is not on the fearless-guts but the whole world around. The method or its lack. Because requires grounds. As someone commented here: "He died of stupidity rather than genuine rocket research." A suicide mission as someone else also wrote. A stupid one as it's easy to infer. That's not news.

Why did you create this thread and what does it have to do with the EOSHD ?