LOMO Arriflex 20-120mm with PL mount for a newbie?

sicogary

Hello there,

I am trying to get an anamorphic lens for my GH2 and have come across a LOMO Arriflex 20-120mm with PL mount that someone is selling for £1.400.

http://london.craigslist.co.uk/phd/4297942296.html

I am new to anamorphic and I was looking for the cheaper Sankor and Kowa, but I was really excited at first. After that, I read this:

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

Now, I am not sure if this lens it is as amazing as it looks and if the price is fair. I also found this video from what it seems to be the same lens:

Any advice?

Thank you for your time

Borja

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

First of all I have seen the exact listing on eBay long time ago with the exactly same photos used. Unless the buyer from that eBay listing decided to put his lens on CL, it's probably just a scam. So pay attention there.

Second, from what I see the anamorphic adapter on the lens above is a rear adapter. A rear anamorphic adapter won't give you any anamorphic artifact like flares or oval bokeh but just squeezing the images.

Using the 20-120 lens as a spherical lens only should be great. It's one of the most fine LOMO zoom lenses so far.

Hope that helps.

Hello au8ust

Thanks for your info. Really helps. I emailed the guy and got this answer:

Hi Borja,

The lens are still for sale.I'm located in Irvine at my uncle's place .He recently passed away and I have to sell his belongings.I prefer you will come to collect but if you want I can ship.

I'm waiting your email soon. 

Regards Gareth

I replied saying I am not interested any more as I need to see it first. I believe you are right, it might be scam so I wish someone near Irvine, read this an email him, either to uncover this troll or to get a great lens.

I will keep on looking online for another option.

Thanks 

Hi sicogary,

I have a lens just like this one for sale, more information on the thread below.

>

Pictures here also.

http://tferradans.com/blog/?p=5354

http://www.eoshd.com/comments/gallery/album/112-lomo-35-opf-18/

Unfortunately I never got the anamorphic back working - it does need some fine adjustment - but the spherical part (the whole big lens) is pretty amazing. It also features a rear-macro-thing that allows focusing reaaaal close (like things TOUCHING the front glass).

Hi tferradans,

When I first saw the offer on Craigslist I was attracted by the price and the possibility of checking the lens before buying it as I though the buyer was based in London. But thanks for the info.

Borja

Hey Borja,

Yes unfortunately Lomo zooms do command a high price, if it seems too good to be true it probably is. This forum is a good place to buy for the most part. Tito is a good guy he's been doing business on here for a while.

I would say anything this old and Russian would need to be serviced to get the best out of it anyway. If your budget won't stretch, go with a Sankor or a Kowa, you wont go too far wrong.