Testing the water for a new anamorphic design

richg101

Hi Guys.

I'd love to have some opinions from the boffins and serious enthusiasts before pushing forward in development of a new anamorphic product.

As some might know, I make the Dog Schidt Optiks FF58 lenses (from vintage helios 44).  As a big fan of the 58mm f2 helios I am working on a anamorphic front module which will be tailored to integrate perfectly with the helios 44 in the same way a wide angle adaptor (specific to a particular lens) integrates with it's partner lens.  - thus resulting in a significantly better result than is normally achieved from off the shelf universal WA adaptors. 

The specifics are limited as follows:-

1.5x or 1.75x squeeze

specifically designed for the helios 44. providing good image quality on full frame - may work with similar lenses but unlikely.   

single coated

single focus system, using the existing focus mech of the helios 44

very compact

designed with equal priority on photography and motion picture end users  

what monetary value would a product like this be worth to you?  

1.  as an all in one FF58 with front anamorphot

2. as a user installed module for use on the helios 44 / FF58     

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sounds awesome.

How are the chances of it working on fullframe?

I could live with both 1.5x and 1.75x when using ML raw, but I suppose 1.5x would be the most friendly aspect ratio for 16:9 camera's.

Monetary value would completely depend on the quality. If it has smeary corners and crappy performance with fast apertures like the LA7200/Optex I wouldn't want to pay much for it. If it is usable at f/2 and nice and sharp in the corners at f/5.6 - f/8, then it becomes another story. Somewhere around €500 sounds nice to me for the attachement, but probably you could ask at least double for a sharp single focus solution...

Most important characteristic to me would be the bokeh.

Btw, the Helios has a pretty deep front element. Wouldn't it work better if the anamorphic extention protrudes down towards the front lens? Like the Iscorama and it's 50mm lenses? Especially on fullframe...

Hi Rich,

I've been using my Isco Widescreen 2000 with my BM Pocket camera, its coupled with a Nikon 24mm & either the Tokina +0.5 or Angenieux +0.25. With the diopters attached (& taking lens stopped down a little) you are able to get a pretty decent, if limited, focus range. I still prefer my big Iscorama beast, but it has been a real life saver for handheld shots.

So, I would be looking for something that is small & gives me a proper focus range.

As far as money is concerned, it would have to be better than what i have at the moment for it to be worthwhile - not sure how much the Widescreen 2000 goes for?

A consevative guestimate would be £500 for a user installed module (which could be used on other lenses).

However, a monobloc all-in-one I think you could push to £800 or more, as both lenses would be perfectly aligned etc... - a real time saver!

thanks for the comments.  does the single focal length pose a big turn off?  

-please bear in mind the key criteria is to develop a full frame friendly outcome, with possibility of using the crop modes in ML to obtain various field of views.  and for use with speed booster or not depending on fov required when using on smaller sensors.

-please bear in mind the key criteria is to develop a full frame friendly outcome, with possibility of using the crop modes in ML to obtain various field of views.  and for use with speed booster or not depending on fov required when using on smaller sensors.

At first I thought a single focal length wouldn't interest me, but I had not thought of using it full frame with crop modes. Could actually turn a weakness into a strength since you wouldn't be constantly swapping lenses. Clever.

Price for me would depend entirely on the quality and character of the results so it's hard to say.

That said, I don't own a FF camera  and if I did I'd still be keener on and pay more for; a standardized set of matching DSO pairing lenses spanning a good focal range.

Since DSO is investigating both longer and shorter focal lengths to compliment the FF58, what would prevent you from doing the same for each of these?  A nice little set with matching DSO pelican case.

The single focal length definitely isn't a total turn-off but it would be something only pulled out some of the time since I don't envision having a 36mm sensor anytime in the future.  Alternating between on and off Speed Booster would turn this into two viable lenses on MFT, perhaps, but I would feel seriously compromised not having a wider option and doing narrative with the type of blocking and FOV that I enjoy.

I can understand the lens as an adapter perhaps being not as optimal as your calibration to the FF58 but is there any reason it should be incompatible with alternate taking lens?

I'd prefer to see an anamorphic adapter that works with wider focal lengths. If it had to work with 3 I would pick 35mm, ~55mm, 85mm

Price depends on flexibility and how it compares to others coming on the market.

I prefer that it works with full frame.

Would be great if it had nice flares and a good way to attach hood to prevent flare in bright sun when you want less flare. (ie make front filter standard size)

Close focus without diopter would be ideal.

How soon can you have it done?  :)

How can I help? Would love to learn more about lens construction.

For me, I love the look coming from your DS lenses, and would love to see an anamorphic with a decent squeeze (no 1.33X BS) added into the mix.

BUT . . . I need a set of lenses that match. This above all else is what I'm looking for right now, a set of at least three matched lenses faster than f2.8. 

If you can muster a couple more lenses in other focal lengths, to go along with the FF58, I'd be VERY tempted.

If you add to that set a single-focus anamorphic (or anamorphics), you've got me, hook line and sinker for $1500+, no question.

Most important for me would be FF compatibility.

But a lot better would be a speed booster to go from medium format to full frame ;)

Talk has been had about a focal reducer for canon to hasselblad.  Though the benefits are less obvious than those found on a full frame to aps-c type affair.  focusing all of that incredible resolving power onto a full frame sensor of 36mpx and above (in the future) will be a lot more capable in high resolution photography than using lenses designed for the 35mm format.  the hassy 40mm would effectively become a 25mm and if the reducer were good enough would result in the highest resolving power 25mm full frame lens in the world - i'd imagine:).  

thanks for the comments guys.  all noted.  and additional focal lengths are in pipeline.  I'd hoped for them to be available sooner, but it's taking longer to develop than I'd expected.  looks like possibility of a 40mm and a 25mm, both in f2 aperture in the next few months.

additional focal lengths are in pipeline.  I'd hoped for them to be available sooner, but it's taking longer to develop than I'd expected.  looks like possibility of a 40mm and a 25mm, both in f2 aperture in the next few months.

Love it. Thank god for DSO!

Does helios 44 have swirly bokeh? If so, I would definately not want that lens as a taking lens.

No, the helios 44 has about the best defocus rendering characteristics of any taking lens there is.  It's subtle and doesn't grab attention from the in focus areas.  

Talk has been had about a focal reducer for canon to hasselblad.  Though the benefits are less obvious than those found on a full frame to aps-c type affair.  focusing all of that incredible resolving power onto a full frame sensor of 36mpx and above (in the future) will be a lot more capable in high resolution photography than using lenses designed for the 35mm format.  the hassy 40mm would effectively become a 25mm and if the reducer were good enough would result in the highest resolving power 25mm full frame lens in the world - i'd imagine:).  

I don't want to intrude your post but anyway... ;)

Check out this "ULF speed booster", well its an dof adapter but heh (14"x14")