BM 4k vs GH4 4K Comparison

Henry Gentles

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

for 4k…has the 5d mark 3 become obsolete?

Most digital film shot today is on the Alexa. The Alexa is not shooting 4k, it shoots sub-2k.  

ML on 5D3 is freaking amazing.

Properly upscale your 5D3 to 4k and I promise you -- nobody will ever be able to tell you were shooting HD or 4k. 

No, the 5D3 is not obsolete. I suspect it'll be an important camera body for budget filmmakers for years to come.

I think you meant to say the Alexa shoots sub-3K but for all intents and purposes you can round it to consider the Alexa (some models) a 3K camera with its 2880 horizontal resolution when recording ArriRaw and very much a true 2K camera given it down-samples to 2048 when shooting 2K ProRes.  Some models only do 1920 when shooting ProRes but even this is, essentially, a "2K" resolution based on KODAK's own precedent.

If you were to scan a non-silent 35mm negative at "2K" you ultimately have 1828 pixels across for picture information.  Lots of films have been posted this way either because the filmmaker/DP wasn't interested in jumping on the Super-35 bandwagon or because they didn't want to shoot some portions of their film with one standard and the rest of the film with a different standard.  That post was still considered "2K" even though you don't have a full 2048 across of actual picture information.   I say "was" because I don't know that it's that common anymore, given the proliferation of Super-35mm.

But, yeah, you can scale good looking 2K up to 4K and none would be the wiser, especially starting with RAW footage.