Can Panasonic GH3 set a record trigger/flag via HDMI?

Kurt8

Just picked up a used Panasonic GH3 for a video project. I would prefer to record sound using my Sound Devices Mix Pre 3 (not running the audio signal into the camera at all). Is there any way I can get the GH3 to trigger the start record function on the Mix Pre 3? I see that the GH3 has an HDMI out but I am not seeing anything in the literature that says it can be used to trigger the recorder. Sound Devices has confirmed to me that the Mix Pre 3 can be triggered via an HDMI record flag but can the G3 send one?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Kurt

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

The short answer is no.

https://www.atomos.com/cameras/panasonic-dmc-gh3

The (much) longer answer is that it would be possible to create a record trigger that fired the camera and simultaneously the MixPre 3 using its USB eyboard input which allows you to put it in and out of record using specific keystrokes (CTRL+R and CTRL+S)

Thanks for the reply BTM_Pix. I am intrigued by this USB keyboard trigger idea. Does that mean that I connect the keyboard to the Mix Pre 3's USB port and the the Mix Pre 3 to the GH3 via HDMI cable? Then it is actually the Mix Pre 3 which triggers the GH3?

Kurt

P.S. Completed the shoot today by manually starting the Mix Pre 3 followed by the GH3. Syncing the audio and video using PluralEyes 4 right now. Seems to be working just fine as long as I remember to start both devices.

• Super Members

No, unfortunately the GH3 won't trigger from HDMI.

The solution is a custom one but isn't too daunting or expensive to do.

Adafruit make a tiny board called a Trinket M0 which amongst other things can be used to emulate a USB keyboard.

3500-02.jpg.ceeb1de07d584948437dc5e269220701.jpg

The way this would work is to get a standard generic cheap remote release controller for the GH3 like this one 

Remote-Shutter-Release-Cable-for-Panasonic-Lumix-GH3.jpg.05dc14f4d5bc9be8c0e51ea079828b2c.jpg

Then split it out to the Trinket so that when you press the record switch on it the camera receives it but so does the Trinket and then you have it send out "CTRL+R" on the USB port to the MixPre to start recording and then "CTRL+S" when you stop.

With this, you'd never have to remember to press record or stop on the MixPre.

If there are enough people interested I don't mind doing a thread on how to do it and throw the code up as because it uses a simple trigger people can modify it for different camera types.

Would be a few weeks though as I've got quite a bit on.

careful  buddy, if we all learn how to solder, you might out of a job. 😲 Still its an outstanding offer for you to extend towards us.

Could this be applicable to say a zoom h2n which  already has an accessory pack that contains a remote ?

You can already see where i'm heading with this and how would that tie in with your pcb controller for the p4k or would this be more stand alone ?

• Super Members

I've already done one for the Zoom and Tascam recorders integrated into a wifi controller for the Panasonic cameras so this is a bit less comprehensive and a lot more DIY.

The PBC will have a small general purpose I/O add on module soon that will have outputs for the audio recorders and a tally light and an input for a latching record start/stop switch.

That module will also work with the......<<drum roll>>..........PWC

16 hours ago, Kurt8 said:

P.S. Completed the shoot today by manually starting the Mix Pre 3 followed by the GH3. Syncing the audio and video using PluralEyes 4 right now. Seems to be working just fine as long as I remember to start both devices.

Put a Tentacle on the GH3 for even more accurate and faster syncing via timecode. 

I saw a couple of the latest Tentacle Sync E for sale up on Facebook for only US$200 each.