iPhone 11 Pro camera worse colour than before?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

I have a Huawei Mate 30 Pro and quite amazed with it.

Apple really need to get their act together.

Until now they have pulled up subpar hardware with good colour and skin tones but looking at this horror show, I don't think it is even the case any more.

https://www.dxomark.com/xiaomi-mi-10-pro-camera-review/

Mate 30 Pro

zoom01_huaweimate30pro5g.jpg

iPhone 11 Pro

zoom01_appleiphone11promax.jpg

Xiaomi Mi 9 Pro has the new 108 megapixel sensor, similar to Samsung S20 Ultra.

However the lens seems much better on the Mate 30 Pro and ultra wide angle camera is crazy good - big sensor like the main camera.

Really happy with it... And yes, I loaded Google apps onto it and Play Store works fine, was done in 5 mins! So much for Trump trying to protect his subpar American technology ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, that photo is really suspect. Honestly, I can't believe that is not some sort of manipulation to make Xiaomi look better.

However, the 27mp samples from the 108mp camera don't look good when viewed at 100% size. They should have gone with 9-to-1 binning for 12mp outlut like Samsung did. The Xiaomi video sample looks pretty damn good, though.

First of all, I have no idea what's going on between these two photos, clearly tons of processing of the image from Xiamoi.

Second of all, what are you trying to prove with 2 examples, with no clarification on how you took the pictures, what settings you used etc.

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max and my photos do not look as crap as the one you have in this example. Again, it sucks that the stock photo app on iPhone can't access the RAW photo (I don't really feel a need for it but it would be nice to have the option straight out of the box.) But yeah, here's 2 untouched photos I've taken with my phone for reference. (I did have to convert from HEIC to jpg to upload them here so have that in mind).

I also uploaded the info about the two shots from Bridge. The one from Dec 28 is the outdoor shot btw.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1378.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 10.20.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 10.21.02 AM.png

• Administrators

So does anybody click and read articles any more? Jesus wept

The shots are from the DXOMark Xiaomi article I linked to, I didn't take them!

First one is Huawei Mate 30 Pro and second iPhone 11 Pro, it is a test of the zoom which partially explains why the iPhone 11 Pro looks very bad but still, shows how far behind Apple are slipping versus the Chinese.

108MP Xiaomi shots are ok but soft lens. The monster sensor needs better optics. I like the Mate 30 Pro best out of the 3 in the article.

I'll post my own comparisons as well vs my iPhone XS Max. It absolutely thrashes what was an already very capable camera on the Apple device.

So time to catch up America... Time is ticking.

The DxO review is an eye-opener for sure. Check out this 27mp sample from Xiaomi:

https://cdn.dxomark.com/wp-content/uploads/medias/post-41332/OpenSpace_XiaomiMi10Pro_DxOMark_05-00.jpg

Check out the texture on the trees, it is like they were upscaled by some AI. Horrible beyond words, this 108mp sensor has to be downsampled to 12mp like Samsung is doing with their version, but we still don't have any samples from reviewers.

I was plenty impressed when 48mp sensors came to smartphones and I still am, but the later 64mp and 108mp sensors produce such horrible detail even in their default binned mode. I'd love it if some OEM used the 48mp sensors for a 13mm, 23mm and 52mm module and just worked on making every video mode/feature working on every module. The incredibly disorganized camera arrays that we are getting now are an insult to consumers (however, we cannot blame the regular consumer for not researching every little detail about the zillion devices on offer).

• Administrators

It shoots semi-LOG!

Good for all those Instagram filters.

Mate 30 Pro... 40 Megapixel quad bayer sensor... How do you think ISO 1600 looks with all those megapixels on a phone?

Well, quite good actually 🤯

eoshd-mate30-pro.jpg

Pixel peep it full screen -

Where is the traditional smudgy noise reduction?!

The fine detail is intact and I don't know how they achieve this.

You guys are going to wish your President hadn't banned it :)

• Administrators

Yes I will find some and upload soon for you to take a look at

The RAWs are a lot more... erm... 'raw'

Noisier and without the advanced corrections, oversampling and multi-frame exposure

Still great for colour post processing and being able to grade a DNG right there in the phone (Snapseed does it amongst others) is cool

Next step up in sensor tech and IQ from P30 Pro

I own the iPhone XS ( model previous to the 11 Pro.) 

I have noticed the same thing. 

The Halide app kind of fixes the problems with highlights, but still not as good as the older phones. There is some sort of HDR look that cannot he totally disabled. There’s also this plastic / noise reduction look. 

Skin tones and color in general are worse. The phone seemed to have a less warm and more neutral look than the iPhone 6/7.