Starting when you should be stopping. And stopping when you should be starting.

hyalinejim

I don't know what to call this phenomenon, but it happens to me regularly with my GH5. I get out of sync when I press the record button so that I end up recording the time in between shots and not the shots themselves. So I'm hitting record, thinking that I'm going to record a new clip, but actually the camera is already running so I actually stop it. Then at the end of the clip I think I'm shooting I hit record again, to stop the recording, but I actually start shooting a new clip. I usually do this for 2 or 3 clips before I notice, and I end up with lots of behind the scenes footage 🤣

I think part of the problem is that I use slower cards on the GH5, which needs a few seconds after recording to buffer the clip. During this period the record button is inactive and I slip out of sequence.

I'm quite aware of my tendency to do this and try to watch out for it, but it still happens regularly enough to be slightly embarrassing! Particularly if I'm doing a job for someone else and handing over the footage at the end of the day.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

I don't know what to call this phenomenon, but it happens to me regularly with my GH5. I get out of sync when I press the record button so that I end up recording the time in between shots and not the shots themselves. So I'm hitting record, thinking that I'm going to record a new clip, but actually the camera is already running so I actually stop it. Then at the end of the clip I think I'm shooting I hit record again, to stop the recording, but I actually start shooting a new clip. I usually do this for 2 or 3 clips before I notice, and I end up with lots of behind the scenes footage 🤣

I think part of the problem is that I use slower cards on the GH5, which needs a few seconds after recording to buffer the clip. During this period the record button is inactive and I slip out of sequence.

I'm quite aware of my tendency to do this and try to watch out for it, but it still happens regularly enough to be slightly embarrassing! Particularly if I'm doing a job for someone else and handing over the footage at the end of the day.

"Double Punch" is what we called it in the olden days. 

But, yes, LUMIX cameras are troublesome for accurately triggering recording. The only solution I've found is to make myself put forth a concious effort to literally read the record clock for a second, make sure it's rolling, and get on with my work. 

I haven’t really run into this problem with my GH5S but I have a habit of hitting record and then directing the actor or talking about how I want the scene to play out before I put my eye up to the view finder or look at the screen.

And like fuzz said, I always look at the timecode to confirm I’m recording.

A side benefit of this is inline voice memos in my footage lol.

46 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Good to know the technical term! I think sometimes my clients would like to give me a double punch too.

25 minutes ago, MurtlandPhoto said:

@hyalinejim Please take comfort in knowing that I do the exact same thing all the time 😂 I'm trying to do better like @fuzzynormal recommends. This has plagued me since the GH4.

That is a comfort, thank you 😅

I've done this many times as well.  With GH5 and other cameras as well.  I now try to look and confirm things are recording, but even then I'm still not 100%.

My dad used to do electronics and telecommunications R&D and later on taught classes where they designed and build custom hardware / software products, and he was telling me that when you hit a button the circuit that is sensing that click will be capable of operating at thousands or millions of times per second and it's not uncommon for a button press to trigger start and then stop hundreds or thousands of times, even more if the button isn't absolutely pristinely clean inside.

The solution for the circuit designers is to put a delay in there so that once it's triggered there's a time delay before it can be triggered again, often 0.5s or something.  I had that problem with my GoPro Hero 3 when it was in its waterproof case - I'd hit record and it would record for 2s and then stop because it sensed too quickly but took a bit of time to act on the stop signal so it looked like it had started recording successfully.  I missed some great footage that way.  For that reason all my GoPro footage begins with me scowling into the camera for a few seconds watching the screen to see if it stopped recording after a couple of seconds.  

On the GH5 the OSD and overlays disappear when you're recording, so that can be a good thing to look for..

7 hours ago, scotchtape said:

I try to make sure I see the red dot first before getting on with it :)

Sometimes I still mess up :(

The red dot is what causes it for me. Red means stop, dammit!

8 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

The only solution I've found is to make myself put forth a concious effort to literally read the record clock for a second, make sure it's rolling, and get on with my work. 

This.

On 2/14/2020 at 2:36 AM, fuzzynormal said:

The only solution I've found is to make myself put forth a concious effort to literally read the record clock for a second, make sure it's rolling, and get on with my work. 

Yep, easy to do. The amount of times I've had friends filming me with a GoPro as we take it in turns and they just film all the inbetween stuff and nothing of me riding is painful... Only thing you can do is pay better attention. If you're doing fast paced action filming it's happened to you for sure.