Canon EOS R5 - What Panasonic, Sony and Fuji can do to fight THE 8K BEAST

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

Despite them having a really nice image from what I've heard Ursa's aren't nearly as reliable/durable as other picks like alexa for cinema use and Sony F5/F55 for high end doc/TV etc. 

For the price it would be more reliable and cheaper to get two Ursas as opposed to any of those others (not that that's what anyone should do) just in terms of failure chances.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Super8 said:

The URSA can't hold a candle to Arri. What quality do you sacrifice by using the URSA vs an Arri ?

It also depends on the budget for the commercials being produced.  The FS7 is used a lot and so are RED's, so I don't think Arri dominates on the commercial side because of reduced budgets. 

If you're making the next bond film are you going Arri or with the URSA mini ? It's laughable that you would even bring uo the URSA mini.

Obviously it depends on the budgets.... 

The image from an Ursa Mini is not far off from an Arri, depending on which you are talking about. Dynamic range is quite a bit better on any given Arri camera. But you usually aren't pushing dynamic range that far especially on high end stuff where they actually light things.

Anyways my point is Arri is the cream of the crop next to film. Arri doesn't have an 8K camera, not even a 6k camera. No auto focus or talk of it, way behind the times. But high end productions don't need any other that. RED is putting out the Komodo which is not an appeal to high end productions its an appeal to small guys. 

I'll also stick to my point that the image off an Ursa Mini 4.6k if graded properly has negligible differences from any given Arri in most practical situations. To be fair you could probably say that with a lot of cameras though. 

2 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Despite them having a really nice image from what I've heard Ursa's aren't nearly as reliable/durable as other picks like alexa for cinema use and Sony F5/F55 for high end doc/TV etc. 

Yeah another reason why Arri's are top pick in comparison to RED. Probably also a reason Canon is favored for DOC work over RED, though Canon's are much more usable in general for that type of thing.

29 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah another reason why Arri's are top pick in comparison to RED. Probably also a reason Canon is favored for DOC work over RED, though Canon's are much more usable in general for that type of thing.

Yeah tbh "cinema" cameras are kinda cancer for run and gun doc work unless you have a crew of 3 or more.

FS7 and C300mkii are the real top dogs for doc work. Can't beat built in NDs and XLR inputs if your a small to no man crew

13 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Yeah tbh "cinema" cameras are kinda cancer for run and gun doc work unless you have a crew of 3 or more.

FS7 and C300mkii are the real top dogs for doc work. Can't beat built in NDs and XLR inputs if your a small to no man crew

Yeah, I don't really do much Doc work but I do weddings which can be similar(probably worse lol). I have used the URSA on doc work, depends on the subject matter. Used the S1H for some doc stuff and it was really nice honestly. The IBIS plus a Canon 24-70 just worked for everything, used the S35 mode which was easy to switch to, getting that extra range. 

• 2 months later...

All of the stated is fine for a cine cam, but this is a photo camera that does video. When will you grasp that idea? Most of the competition that has a cine line has most of those features or similar/their versions of it. As much as everybody would love a 2k€ photo cam that does everithing a pro photo and a pro 10k€ video cam does...you see the conflict of interests here?

I for one would like it the other way around...give me a small camera that does everything SOOC good enough. We need good enough, because face it, if we have the time to hang around here and argue about consumer cameras we most probably arent doing the preproduction list, a paper cut, or a script draft for the next blockbuster. We will post our stuff online only, if even that! it will get views on a phone, tablet(which will have auto beightness turned on), computer screen at most, and we and our girlfriends will be proud of it.

For people that want cheap cine gear we have blackmagic to fill the void, and they're doing a good job.

Fuji is starting to get it tho with their film simulations. The H1,and x-t4, all of them with a gimbal for that matter, is still and will be a formidable weding tool for years to come, and that kind of pro work is the top of the food chain for this kind of cameras.

Face it, most people aren't filmakers, but enthusiasts. And 99% will grade ther raw,log, prores footage far worse that a simple selection of a film simulation would.

So how to battle that moster of a canon? Make it cheaper and easy to use, give it great audio! Make a GREAT app for quick edits and uploads...that I have yet to see from ANY camera company. Apps, apps apps...or maybe corona virus will slow things down for everybody to have the time to work on their lifelong projects :) in that case I want alexas for a grand(and still somebody will bitch that it doesn`t take photos).