Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
51 minutes ago, Django said:

Everything points towards a 5D class product, adjusted for inflation and the newer tech I'd say were looking at around 4K-5K tops.

The primary consumer is still going to be image and Canon won't sell a single R5 to photographers with a $7K price tag.

I'm less optimistic and think that Newsshooter's estimation of $5,800 for U.S. is realistic. (Take into account that prices in other countries are higher because, unlike in the US, they always include tax.) Camera sales have been dramatically shrinking in the last couple of years and so that R&D costs and lower production runs can only be recouped via higher margins. 

Just now, rawshooter said:

I'm less optimistic and think that Newsshooter's estimation of $5,800 for U.S. is realistic. (Take into account that prices in other countries are higher because, unlike in the US, they always include tax.) Camera sales have been dramatically shrinking in the last couple of years and can only be recouped by higher margins. 

I hope on a price tag of 4.999-5.499$, or else just a few will buy that in Europe (it will be at least 1000$ more over here).

On the other side most of the specs are out of this planet; if the camera delivers and there are not a lot of asterisks, then it will be normal to be a very very expensive camera.

I am more curious about the R6 to be honest, and what will be the answer of Nikon, they surely have to respond sooner or later.

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, rawshooter said:

I'm less optimistic and think that Newsshooter's estimation of $5,800 for U.S. is realistic. (Take into account that prices in other countries are higher because, unlike in the US, they always include tax.) Camera sales have been dramatically shrinking in the last couple of years and so that R&D costs and lower production runs can only be recouped via higher margins. 

I agree.

In the new normal, ANY camera over $3K (or possibly even less) is going to be a tough sell/niche product for a very long time so I think the people who want it and can afford it won't be overly sensitive to a price variance of $1000, particularly as there won't be anything out there matching the spec.

On that basis, if Canon can't get this camera down to that sort of $3K level then they might as well take the extra profit by going the other way.

Specs wise, this camera is really approaching the "my forever camera" candidate for a lot of people as well so, combined with an impending global depression, it might well be the last chance to have a dance for Canon to make worthwhile money from these sort of cameras.

Despite the monster. specs and the exciting features, I don't think they'll price this over $4,500 USD. I'd guess above the 5D range, but not in the 1DX range (something like $3899 USD would be my guess). While this has "better" specs than the 1DX Mark III, I think it is more in line with the 5D range and many people who buy the 1DX series do so because of the giant battery life, extreme durability, and tank-like size, not so much 5.5k Raw recording and megapixel count. While I'm sure the R5 will be durable and weather sealed, you'd probably still want a 1DX on the sideline of an NFL game or on safari if on assignment. 

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I think $4k is likely.

I've heard $6k but don't believe it.

It isn't quite an 1D III in terms of the market yet. Most sports shooters won't go near it, unless they are feeling adventurous.

$4k would be groundbreaking. I really hope they pull this off. 

Also, do you know how well regular EF lenses work with DPAF on RF mount? In particular, Sigma ART? 

RF lenses are super expensive! Think the 70-200 may be worth it but not sure about the rest. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

$4k would be groundbreaking. I really hope they pull this off. 

Also, do you know how well regular EF lenses work with DPAF on RF mount? In particular, Sigma ART? 

RF lenses are super expensive! Think the 70-200 may be worth it but not sure about the rest. 

There's a few tests on YouTube if you go hunting. It looks good but not as good as the RF glass. Here's one testing Eye AF on the R with EF glass:

He also has one with RF glass. The R5 might be improved of course!

I hope it has a competitive price but we're talking about a canon camera here. Usually with canon you have underwhelming specs but good capable cameras when you use them. In this case you have great specs, with the probability of being a great camera as well. So my bet is that it will have the usual canon price, which is over the competition. In this case, for the moment, there is no competition so they have an advantage for pricing this model. The covid-19 pandemic could influence the price, since there will be a shortage of demand.

IF it does as promised, it will sell regardless of the price.     A higher price will just mean a few less enthusiasts (who probably do not NEED it).

I do think it will mean a few more second hand R, RP and Sony A7# type cameras available second hand.

4 minutes ago, noone said:

I do think it will mean a few more second hand R, RP and Sony A7# type cameras available second hand.

Would love that. However I'm not sure at the moment for video the R and RP are even worth it. 4k is great it you can live with the crop. 1080p is still soft as it was 10 years ago unless you also shoot 1080p in crop mode.

2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Would love that. However I'm not sure at the moment for video the R and RP are even worth it. 4k is great it you can live with the crop. 1080p is still soft as it was 10 years ago unless you also shoot 1080p in crop mode.

1080p ALl-i is much better than the 5dmkii/iii It's not raw, but it's very usable.

I’m going to speculate it will be around at least $4,399 and maybe as high as $5,299. Why?

Its similar to a 1DX as far as processing. No sports photographer or serious wildlife photospheres, like Andrew said, is going to buy a R5 for that. They know and trust the 1DX platform and will most certainly buy the 1DX3

After launch it will drop to $4,000 and settle into the 5D price.

If it delivers on the rumored specs than why wouldn’t Canon want you to pony up for it. The market is shrinking into hardcore camera enthusiasts that know there stuff and are willing to pay for it.