Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If the R5 disappoints with dynamic range, low light performance,  or record limits then the Panasonic S1 could still come out ahead in many ways. 

The EOS R is that but I suspect it outsold the S1 and S1R combined two fold simply because it’s a Canon and has DPAF.

6 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

The EOS R is that but I suspect it outsold the S1 and S1R combined two fold simply because it’s a Canon and has DPAF.

It's not just that, it is a lot smaller and cheaper (the kit lens, too), the S1 price hasn't dropped that much yet (I expect it this year)

Seen a lot of internet bashing on the R5 already.

It won’t be perfect. 

Probable things:

- 8k may have bad rolling shutter.

- 8k may have a severe recording limit.

- 4k120 may have aliasing, no audio and have a time limit. 

- All 4k modes only available in monochrome (ok joke). 

I don’t get the bashing though. We know 8k will have some compromises but who the hell needs it anyway?

Assess it when it arrives, and if you feel it fits your needs, solves any current problems and enhances your creativity - win! 

I hope it’s a win. 

If it is, back to Canon I go after 7 years of abandonment. 

1 hour ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It won’t be perfect. 

Probable things:

I don’t get the bashing though. We know 8k will have some compromises but who the hell needs it anyway?

Assess it when it arrives, and if you feel it fits your needs, solves any current problems and enhances your creativity - win! 

I hope it’s a win. 

As a feature request, I would really love 24p also

4 hours ago, MeanRevert said:

As a feature request, I would really love 24p also

They never cut 24p from their 5D/ EOS R-tier cameras, so I don't think you've got anything to worry about on that count. Unless you're referring to true 24.00p instead of 23.976p, in which case I should think the R5 will have it, seeing how the 1DX Mark III has that feature (according to the spec sheet).

4 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It won’t be perfect. 

Probable things:

I hope it’s a win. 

I feel like a lot of those people haven't used the 1DX2. That camera is amazing and is over 4 years old. There's no reason why they can't do clean 8K.

6 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

It won’t be perfect. 

Probable things:

I hope it’s a win. 

- 8k may have a severe recording limit. - The memory cards 😅

3 hours ago, Lux Shots said:

The cripple hammer awaits. We just don't know how it will manifest itself.

Ah come on. You actually hope for this camera to be flawed, right? So you have an argument to keep disliking the Brand behind it. To each its own – but that attitude is kind of small-minded from my POV. In the long run we all benefit from such advancements in technology no matter what Brand we favor. It has been like that with Red, with the Panasonic GH-Cameras, with Blackmagic and yes, with the 5DII. And take it from me that you can still dislike a Brand even when acknowledging it does some things right. I have an unjustified negative bias to Sony, never liked shooting with their cams, be it the PMW200, the FS700, the F5, the Z150... But looking at the FX9 I have to say: Damn, that's a great Camera that produces beautiful images. Or Samsung: I have a Samsung Printer I'd like to treat with a baseball bat each and every time I have to use it. And and old BluRay Player of them created a hatred in me for everything Samsung. And yet: their T5s are the best SSDs in the price range they're available. I still don't like Samsung, but I value their T5s and use them every day. 

So keep disliking Canon, that's fine. But acknowledge that the R5 promises to be a great achievement in Camera technology, even if the actual specs were only to be half as good as the specs on paper promise. They'll push boundaries with this one, that is undeniable. 

2 hours ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Canon just released EOS Webcam Utility Beta software. When the R5 is released we will have the first fullframe 8K webcam 😁

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/about/newsroom/press-releases/press-release-details/2020/20200428-Webcam/20200428-Webcam

It is 1280 x 720 at list on my quick test. Also you cannot record on the camera while active as webcam... Would have been cool to use it as "reserve" monitor.

You can use the EOS Utility as monitor but I'm not a fan of the canon UI.

But still good that they finally offer this feature.

47 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

It is 1280 x 720 at list on my quick test. Also you cannot record on the camera while active as webcam... Would have been cool to use it as "reserve" monitor.

You can use the EOS Utility as monitor but I'm not a fan of the canon UI.

But still good that they finally offer this feature.

Strange, maybe USB 2.0 limit? Would one be able to use multiple camera's as webcam or just one?

On 4/29/2020 at 11:08 AM, Avenger 2.0 said:

Strange, maybe USB 2.0 limit? Would one be able to use multiple camera's as webcam or just one?

I did a quick try and only one work at a time... the last that you connect wins. 
Resolution seems camera dependent: 1DxIII 1280x720, M6 II: 1024x756. 

Compared to FullHD web cameras the quality is much better with the DSLR but nothing surprising here. 

It would be nice that would be FullHD for the 1dx III and 720p for M6 II... also would be cool multi cameras also would be very helpful to be able to Record in camera.... the EOS utility allows this so it is theoretically possible

View that there seems quite a bit of buzz around this maybe they will invest more and improve it.

Sigma implementation seems much better