Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

18 minutes ago, padam said:

Canon is not stupid to kill their own cameras, this camera will lack both the internal processing power and the sensor dynamic range to shoot C-Log.
Even their C200 is 8-bit or RAW only.

I'd take a bet on you with this! This camera will have C-Log and shoot 10bit. I have no inside knowledge, but the rumors indicate a Camera higher specced than the EOS R which has C-Log and AF in video. The RP is a Full Frame M50, which is not a bad Camera imho. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, Michi said:

I'd take a bet on you with this! This camera will have C-Log and shoot 10bit. I have no inside knowledge, but the rumors indicate a Camera higher specced than the EOS R which has C-Log and AF in video. The RP is a Full Frame M50, which is not a bad Camera imho. 

The last known rumors were saying "lower your expectations, the sensor is not a 1DX III sensor at all, etc."

Well, Ok, I would rather pay more and have all these features, but from Canon's point of view, it makes no sense at all to kill their own market and we know how they are keeping the 5D line and 6D line well-separated from each other.
In my opinion:
The R5 has IBIS dual cards CF-E plus SD 8K 4k60p 4k120p 10-bit Canon Log, better low-light than previous-gen Canon cameras
The R6 has IBIS dual cards SD plus SD 4k60p (cropped I think) 1080p120p 8-bit no Log, but also better low-light than previous-gen Canon cameras

They are both have much better video specs than their older ancestors, but they are also not stepping on each other's toes.
Also, the cheaper cameras are much more simplified easier to use with a mode dial, simpler controls, etc. that's just how Canon designs its products.

11 minutes ago, padam said:

The last known rumors were saying "lower your expectations, the sensor is not a 1DX III sensor at all, etc."

Yes, of coures. This will not be the mirrorless 1DX equivalent. The R6 will be a lower priced camera, logic suggests the mirrorless 6D.

13 minutes ago, padam said:

n my opinion:
The R5 has IBIS dual cards CF-E plus SD 8K 4k60p 4k120p 10-bit Canon Log, better low-light than previous-gen Canon cameras
The R6 has IBIS dual cards SD plus SD 4k60p (cropped I think) 1080p120p 8-bit no Log, but also better low-light than previous-gen Canon cameras

You forgot to mention 8k raw in the R5... 

And if the mirrorless 5D gets that big a spec bump, the mirrorless 6D will too. That's my thinking.

We'll see soon enough... 

5 hours ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Lacking 10 bit and RAW is enough to separate it from the 1dx MK3, cropped 4k 60p even more so. 

Maybe have changed their thinking and it will have the same dynamic range as the 1DX III and only the readout speed is lower and the IPB codecs and the 20MP 45MP gap is now wide enough to differentiate. Sounds way too good to be true to me, it's Canon who would rather cripple it harder to have more headroom to cut prices in the long run, so I have my doubts, and it would kill my EOS R, I guess I have some time to sell it on, but they would also kill it for the future as well.

And the 4k30 uncropped rolling shutter will be very bad and worse than the 1DX III, it would be just like the EOS RP in cropped 4k mode (33ms, very severe) or maybe they disable the AF and run in it a different mode.
Interestingly, enough the 1DX III FF4k60p (raw 60p) has the AF disabled, but the 14ms rolling shutter is really good, the FF4k30p (raw 30p) with AF is 28ms, same as the EOS R crop 4k, not great, but it is full sensor. They could have enabled that mode for uncropped 4k30p manual focus, so it would be closer to cinema cameras, but they just decided to leave it separate.

7 minutes ago, padam said:

Maybe have changed their thinking and it will have the same dynamic range as the 1DX III and only the readout speed is lower and the IPB codecs and the 20MP 45MP gap is now wide enough to differentiate. Sounds way too good to be true to me, it's Canon who would rather cripple it harder to have more headroom to cut prices in the long run, so I have my doubts, and it would kill my EOS R, I guess I have some time to sell it on, but they would also kill it for the future as well.

And the 4k30 uncropped rolling shutter will be very bad and worse than the 1DX III, it would be just like the EOS RP in cropped 4k mode (33ms, very severe) or maybe they disable the AF and run in it a different mode.
Interestingly, enough the 1DX III FF4k60p (raw 60p) has the AF disabled, but the 14ms rolling shutter is really good, the FF4k30p (raw 30p) with AF is 28ms, same as the EOS R crop 4k, not great, but it is full sensor. They could have enabled that mode for uncropped 4k30p manual focus, so it would be closer to cinema cameras, but they just decided to leave it separate.

If your EOS R works for you now it'll still work for you when the R6 comes out tho

8 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

If your EOS R works for you now it'll still work for you when the R6 comes out tho

I am perfectly fine with 20MP over 30, IBIS is huge for video just on its own, two card slots perfect for shooting weddings
and even if is has the 1.4x UHD crop (same as the 1DX crop mode just not cinema 4k), it would still be a big improvement over 1.75x

Even if it has worse dynamic range and no Canon Log at all, I would still consider it, if it is priced right.

Seems like the stills only crowd is upset eand crying :

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-eos-r5-public-reaction-can-we-have-a-stills-camera-please

When I read things like "All this video crap. If you want to shoot video- go buy a video camera" , well obviously they're not the target for this camera at all... 

8 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

Seems like the stills only crowd is upset eand crying :

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/canon-eos-r5-public-reaction-can-we-have-a-stills-camera-please

When I read things like "All this video crap. If you want to shoot video- go buy a video camera" , well obviously they're not the target for this camera at all... 

The reality is that photos and videos are 2 different segments, I will be in the market for a hybrid camera, so I am in middle ground, but there are a lot of people that do not care much about the video functions of a stills camera, and the opposite, people buying hybrids and shoot a few hundrend photos per year.

I am excited, because of the EF adapter with built in ND, and I have a beautiful brand new 70-200mm 4f and some other lenses to adapt, most photographers couldn't care less for 8K video, they barely care for video altogether. I mean, maybe I go with the P6K in the end..and with the money I will save I will invest on an ATEM probably. I already own a good enough hybrid system for most uses (4 NX cameras and 8 lenses) which isn't going anywhere and have all the lenses and accessories I need. I do not shoot many photos anymore, anyway.

Just now, Trankilstef said:

that is why I said it, I own 4 NX cameras, getting old, but still 28mgpxl APS-C and all the lenses. I got a P4K already, having 2 Pocket cameras with the ATEM Pro would be an amazing workflow, and I can mix and match all my m43/EF lenses natively. 

I have missed shooting full frame photos, but I am a full for APS-C/S35 so it's not huge for me, and I am 95% video shooter, since 1999! The price reduction in P6K makes it a no brainer, really - especially if the R5/R6 is 4000/2999. I would be waiting a little bit to read the market, because I canceled 3 full months of work at the begining of the pandemic, so I will probably start from the begining.

• Administrators

Now the reasons for the original EOS R's weird ergonomics become clear. They wanted to save the best for the expensive model.

Canon-EOS-R5-vs-EOS-R-image2.jpg

Canon-EOS-R5-vs-EOS-R2.jpg

Proper click wheel, joystick instead of THAT bar, and deeper 5D-style grip.

The screen seems larger except it doesn't. Why such a thick bezel?

I am positively surprised about the size BTW... Barely any larger than the EOS RP and much smaller than the Panasonic S1.

https://www.canonnews.com/public-outcry-too-much-video-in-the-canon-eos-r5

The "stills only" guys aren't having it with the R5 but they actually have to. Not sure what they expected of the R5 when the rumor sites were pretty accurate with the specs leading all the way up to the development announcement and press conference. The leaked info was pretty video centric from the beginning. While 8k wasn't at all necessary, after the R and RP,  I feel Canon had no choice but to come with heavy specs in the middle. Stills guys dont want to pay for video features. If I buy, I'll gladly pay for the hybrid.

3 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

well obviously they're not the target for this camera at all... 

Maybe a good reason for Canon not to cripple their products to “save” the higher end. I say give the people what they want and that is a Canon camera with no-crop 4K60p+ with DPAF and 10-but clog.

The sports photographer will buy the 1DXM3, the wedding and event and landscape people will buy the R5, the vast majority of YouTube crowd will buy the R6, and the serious video production rental companies will buy the C300s and C500s and maybe R5s. It’s pretty simple.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Now the reasons for the original EOS R's weird ergonomics become clear. They wanted to save the best for the expensive model.

Canon-EOS-R5-vs-EOS-R-image2.jpg

Canon-EOS-R5-vs-EOS-R2.jpg

Proper click wheel, joystick instead of THAT bar, and deeper 5D-style grip.

The screen seems larger except it doesn't. Why such a thick bezel?

I am positively surprised about the size BTW... Barely any larger than the EOS RP and much smaller than the Panasonic S1.

Sold. 

Where's the pre-order form? 

*checks Covid-19 compromised bank account*

😫😫😫