Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Having owned the A7rIII and the A6000 before that I really dislike Sony (the ergos, the colors, the cheap build quality) but I kind of hope they will release a 12mpx A7sIII with a slightly bigger body than the A7rIV, pristine native 4K and downscaled 1080p ooc, Sony autofocus, nicer handling and most importantly: an electronic vari-nd and the S-Cinetone profile from the FX9. I love that profile, which in my opinion is the best looking SOOC image out there.

10bit 4.2.2 at 200mbps I HEVC would be enough. Priced at 3-3,500 us. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Maybe two.

Sadly this will never happen.

Blackmagic aren’t in the full frame 4K RAW game at the moment and I can’t recommend their Pocket 4K & 6K cameras due to reliability issues, cheap build quality, small sensors and a limited feature-sets. Plus the way Blackmagic have treated me personally is appalling, for reasons I won’t go-into.

Andrew, I'm disappointed. Been using the Blackmagic 4k for almost a year now and it's a beast with a ridiculous amount of features, and it continues to improve. Completely changed the game for me. It's everything I'd come to expect from a dream camera (a lot of which I'd come to expect after years of reading your blog).

21 minutes ago, SR said:

Andrew, I'm disappointed. Been using the Blackmagic 4k for almost a year now and it's a beast with a ridiculous amount of features, and it continues to improve. Completely changed the game for me. It's everything I'd come to expect from a dream camera (a lot of which I'd come to expect after years of reading your blog).

He has a beef with them. Dont worry about it. Just use your camera. If you like it that's all that matters. 

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Having owned the A7rIII and the A6000 before that I really dislike Sony (the ergos, the colors, the cheap build quality) but I kind of hope they will release a 12mpx A7sIII with a slightly bigger body than the A7rIV, pristine native 4K and downscaled 1080p ooc, Sony autofocus, nicer handling and most importantly: an electronic vari-nd and the S-Cinetone profile from the FX9. I love that profile, which in my opinion is the best looking SOOC image out there.

10bit 4.2.2 at 200mbps I HEVC would be enough. Priced at 3-3,500 us. I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Maybe two.

Sadly this will never happen.

You want all that, you can buy the fx9. If the fx6 exists, maybe that as well. No way a mirrorless camera will have the E Nd. 

This is entering ULTIMATE HYBRID territory. I decided on EF lenses long ago when my GH3 kit got nicked, so to have those specs with that EOS R ND adapter is absolutely incredible. There's  a lot of choice currently but for me Fuji has been dominating in the hybrid world with both the GFX100 and the XT4/XT3 with autofocus, stills quality, codec, color and price, but what they don't have is an ecosystem which lets it cut in perfectly with professional multicamera productions so I've used it as a C-cam but reluctantly. Sony are always changing their color science, whereas Canon you can mix and match cameras way more easily. I'd still prefer a GFX100, but as a hybrid, this wins on paper.

2 hours ago, @martybleazard said:

This is entering ULTIMATE HYBRID territory. I decided on EF lenses long ago when my GH3 kit got nicked, so to have those specs with that EOS R ND adapter is absolutely incredible. There's  a lot of choice currently but for me Fuji has been dominating in the hybrid world with both the GFX100 and the XT4/XT3 with autofocus, stills quality, codec, color and price, but what they don't have is an ecosystem which lets it cut in perfectly with professional multicamera productions so I've used it as a C-cam but reluctantly. Sony are always changing their color science, whereas Canon you can mix and match cameras way more easily. I'd still prefer a GFX100, but as a hybrid, this wins on paper.

Yeah I just got the battery grip for my Fuji. I think it will be a relevant camera for a long time especially because they are going for $900 on the used market. Its an insane price/quality ratio similar to the Blackmagic offerings only using a Fuji is much more practical(tilt screen, AF, etc..) I agree though its always a pain to have to mix cameras in productions. Though if you are shooting RAW on your A cam its not as hard to match up. I am hoping SAGE gets an URSA mini Alexa LUT and XT3 lut out soon. That might be my go to for color matching. 

Where did people see the IBIS thing is real internal sensor based stabilization? Because to me it seems it is more of an electronic satbilization + lens stabilization than real ibis.
Look this frame from the vide834055100_2020-04-2115_13_31-CanonR5-RAWPowerRevealed-YouTubeBrave.thumb.png.32ae0b99edfa63f6adc1094a27306101.pngo posted above, doesn't seem to be real sensor shift IBIS, but lens based + ES...

1 minute ago, Trankilstef said:

Where did people see the IBIS thing is real internal sensor based stabilization? Because to me it seems it is more of an electronic satbilization + lens stabilization than real ibis.
Look this frame from the vide834055100_2020-04-2115_13_31-CanonR5-RAWPowerRevealed-YouTubeBrave.thumb.png.32ae0b99edfa63f6adc1094a27306101.pngo posted above, doesn't seem to be real sensor shift IBIS, but lens based + ES...

well it says it right there. IS mode = IBIS, digital IS = digital IS (there is an IS switch on the lenses itself for lens IS)

6 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

The "IS mode" menu I think is the IBIS as on canon you cannot control lens IS from the menu or at least not on EF lenses....

Canon is not talking abut the recording time limits that are going to be imposed. I have a Canon insider that tells me that time limit cripples ARE in this equation. Although he knows they exist, he does not know what those times are and he told me they were still being debated internally. So, it's not set in stone yet. (This info to me is about 6 weeks old now) Anyway,..you can safely bet your life that there will be video time recording limit cripples that WILL frustrate many people. I'm curious how they are reading out that 8k and making 4k out of it. Are they going to line skip or do a crude pixel binning process to save image processing work load? I SERIOUSLY doubt Canon will be able to do an on-sensor, "Sony-style" full pixel readout at the A/D converters. I smell some 4k line skipping from the full sensor width....hmmmm.