Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

Just can't wait for the GH6 now!

The R5 will be around 5.000€ in Euroland, if it is 4499$, it will be at least 5499€. The best m43 camera can't be more than 2499€, and this a price I can do easier.

The last couple of years I used a lot of m43 cameras for video, GH5 series, Pocket4K, JVC LS300 and I really do not see much gain in bigger sensors for me.

For photos though, m43 is so-so.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, PabloB said:

I wouldn't be surprised if this R5 is the reason Samsung came out the business - because Canon bought/license their tech in order to compete with Sony. It's the only way I see that Canon out of nowhere coming out with a monster of a camera that blows away everyone else when they don't do chips or sensors and don't live on the bleeding edge of Tech, something that Samsung has been doing for so long now

Very interesting. I noticed that in their C300mkIII menus, they called EIS as DIS = Digital Image Stabilisation, which is exactly the same as Samsung called their technology. I would expect there is some kind of copyright for such a terminology for a similar system.

1 minute ago, Rinad Amir said:

This is exiting news from Canon! Now question

Will R5 have 14+Dynamic range ? If yes u got yours self custumer 😁 one thing i regret and miss from S1H is dynamic range .

I doubt it since it only has clog. For better dynamic range, you need clog 2 or 3.

10 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

a7s-who? Damn, the rest of the camera world just shit themselves.

Glad I'm already in the process of moving to the RF mount. I actually really like shooting with the  EOS R, despite its shortcomings - all of which are cured with the R5.

Chris

While the r5 has great specs, theres still a lot to be desired in a 4k full frame good 10bit codec sony alpha camera. Resolution isn't everything. Sony already has good DR, it only needs a proper codec to handle it.

14 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

It's kinda wild how quick people are to trust Canon won't disappoint them, given it feels like only 6 months ago they were getting blasted for removing 24p.

August 2020: Breaking News - Magic Lantern cracks the Canon R5 and adds back 24P.

16 minutes ago, FranciscoB said:

While the r5 has great specs, theres still a lot to be desired in a 4k full frame good 10bit codec sony alpha camera. Resolution isn't everything. Sony already has good DR, it only needs a proper codec to handle it.

I'm still waiting for that camera to happen, and no a7-anything will do raw video or 4k120p 10-bit 4:2:2. Ever.

Check. And. Mate

I just want good 10-bit 4k, some decent HFR options and stills on par with my a7/a7r3, this looks like it fits the bill. And it shoots 12fps with its mechanical shutter, making it a pretty capable sports/wildlife body. So I can take this on safari, shoot 8k raw video and capture stills of lions running across the Serengeti at 12fps? Love it. Everything else is gravy - this is the unicorn camera. For me. YMMV.

Chris

1 hour ago, Michi said:

Haha, this is probably the most used argument for the lack of video features in past Canon cameras 😂 Pretty sure I used that one too at some point. 

Yes, I was tempted to post that it seemed to be the reverse of how things were!.

Sony DOES seem to be doing pretty much what Canon  has been and Canon is now going back where it was with the 5Dii.

Seriously though, there is ENOUGH video capability now for those who are not going to colour grade in eight bit cameras..

There will be some people who want the new Canon just because it HAS it but will never use its video beyond hitting record (like me most of the time).   When cameras moved from VGA to HD and full HD many people were quickly able to USE them with normal computers and TVs.

TV stations STILL have a lot of SD content and 4k TVs still are not universal.     I would not be surprised if I NEVER have a 8k TV and it will probably be a few years before i even get a 4k one (Geez, i only just stopped using my decades old tube TV with a set top box (anyone wanna buy a set top box??)  when it started playing up and replaced it with a cheap HD one).     Reporters these days use 4k PHONES for TV news sometimes.

• Administrators

I hope 8K RAW will have a burst mode for 4 seconds. Why? Stills. Will be great to select the best shot from 120 frames

I can't see myself using it for video as much as 4K RAW on the EOS R6, or the sure to be lovely 10bit Canon LOG. Much more practical.

By the way Panasonic has something coming which will impress a lot of you. Stay tuned for a few more days.

21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

By the way Panasonic has something coming which will impress a lot of you. Stay tuned for a few more days.

Hopefully we finally hear about the GH6. Not another S1 iteration (S1 8k 🤣).

There's something very suspiciously quirky about an 8k Canon camera, which isn't just the price. It could be insane rolling shutter, or super overheating or a crop narrower than M43 or something nobody could have thought of. Maybe it has a 5 min recording limit. This just seems too good to be true. 

P.S.: I was going through some of the comments on dpreview and I almost died laughing. Maybe this is a Canon conspiracy. Sony and Panasonic could have mass resignations or layoffs regarding the sheer specs on this monster. And, maybe Canon is playing a joke on us, much like the 120MP sensor their announced, like 10 years back, which never saw the light of day. By the time Canon comes clean on a mis-timed April Fool's joke, (the Video) Mirrorless market would have probably shrunk to 1/3rd its size. 

1 hour ago, Trek of Joy said:

I'm still waiting for that camera to happen, and no a7-anything will do raw video or 4k120p 10-bit 4:2:2. Ever.

Check. And. Mate

I just want good 10-bit 4k, some decent HFR options and stills on par with my a7/a7r3, this looks like it fits the bill. And it shoots 12fps with its mechanical shutter, making it a pretty capable sports/wildlife body. So I can take this on safari, shoot 8k raw video and capture stills of lions running across the Serengeti at 12fps? Love it. Everything else is gravy - this is the unicorn camera. For me. YMMV.

Chris

Check and mate?

You just repeated what I said. A good 4k 10 bit codec. How's that check and mate...? And who really needs raw? A good solid 10 bit codec like prores is more than enough for most cases. Raw is cumbersome, heavy and expensive in the long run.

59 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

I hope 8K RAW will have a burst mode for 4 seconds. Why? Stills. Will be great to select the best shot from 120 frames

I can't see myself using it for video as much as 4K RAW on the EOS R6, or the sure to be lovely 10bit Canon LOG. Much more practical.

Is it gonna be 8K GH6? 🙃

And here I am Sheltered in Place spending my money and time on 400’ rolls of Kodak 😂

But seriously. If Canon can (as it appears they’re claiming to) get these non cropped high res/high framerate modes working in the R5 alongside their autofocus, they’re essentially back on top. Still nobody can touch their AF. It’s been allllll the other crap that they suck at.

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

#MyPoorCreditCard

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

You just can't leave us with this! Also no panasonic conference planned AFAIK... 

I know what a fecking tease.

43 minutes ago, hoodlum said:

Pretty sure Andrew wouldn’t be excited about external RAW recording.