Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
58 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Sounds great, I'd imagine it's going to be stupidly expensive. Hope not

In a recent interview Canon said that the EOS R5 is the 5D series equivalent for mirrorless so "normally" it shouldn't be around $3,500. Perhaps a bit more at $4k.

It’s aimed at that level of the market. This isn’t a replacement for the 5D Mark IV or anything like that. But this is a mirrorless 5-series, it’s aimed at that segment of the market,

26 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

The question is, how many minutes until it overheats or stops recording?

As for the heat:

We’ve been doing this for a while now and we’ve learnt a lot of techniques to dissipate heat on other products that we have in our lineup. For example, being able to move components around, and being able to have them further away from each other,”
“And being able to dissipate heat using different materials has been something we’ve been pretty proud of on other products. This is something we’ve learnt using both our camera and our video Cinema EOS series with that technology as well,”

“So there’s a lot of technology that we know is now coming together and giving us the ability to really step up these specifications,

We'll see, but I also have my doubt considering that much larger C cameras have a big fan. Perhaps there will be some sort of burst recording mode. 

5 minutes ago, Avenger 2.0 said:

Certainly these: No dual card recording for video and recording time limit.

I'm not so sure as it could be RAW on CFexpress and 4k proxy on SD..... but we will see. What I'm sure  is that the 1Dx III even with two CFexpress you cannot record on both at the same time, only exception is 5.5 RAW + 4K "proxy". Recording limit will probably by 30 min for all fps and 7 min for 120 fps like the 1Dx III. 

22 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

I'm excited for the responses that other manufacturers will HAVE to do now. No way Nikon and Sony can stick to just 8-bit 4:2:0 after this. 

I am not so sure.

The video specs look seriously nice but they are going to add cost to the camera.     The vast majority of Sony mirrorless cameras are sold to stills photographers and for those, video only needs to be good enough and 8 bit is not an issue for them.     The exception being the A7s line but is that even still a thing?     Sure Sony will use a higher bit rate in the higher end A7# at some point but do they NEED to compete?     Panasonic on the other hand would be very worried for their next GH# camera maybe.

6 minutes ago, noone said:

The vast majority of Sony mirrorless cameras are sold to stills photographers and for those, video only needs to be good enough and 8 bit is not an issue for them.

Haha, this is probably the most used argument for the lack of video features in past Canon cameras 😂 Pretty sure I used that one too at some point. 

It will have dreadful rolling shutter and overheat. If you think Canon will release a more powerfulf MILC than their 16.000 dollar C500ii but for a third of the price you should stop kidding yourselves. Like immediately. If something sounds too good to be true, it's never true.

I've tested the 1dxIII and it is of course a wonderful stills camera for sports and journalism, but its rolling shutter almost makes it unusable for handheld video, in 5k and 4k. Oddly many people don't even talk about this. Imagine what it will look like in 8k.

2 hours ago, FranciscoB said:

8k raw? Are they nuts? Who's going to be able to manage those files? And of course... Only canon log. No log 2 or 3 so it will have limited DR

Ι would love to see who is going to be successfull on focus on 8κ in a FF camera 

Unless AF is superb this combination will be a hell.

This is like a Panasonic S1H on steroids. It does RAW, and 4k at 120fps. And the 8k. I couldn't notice any fan vents, though Canon is rather secretive about the (final) design. 

The only question is what would the bitrate be? 

I am guessing it will cost over the S1H, perhaps $5000-6000.