Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

Holy crap. This is a monster.

This makes four amazing releases in a row for Canon (C500 II, 1DX III, C300 III, R5) and makes all of those cameras way ahead of the competition at their price point. The FX9, outside of being full-frame, seems like a really silly purchase now compared to the C300 III and nothing in the DSLR/mirrorless world is even close to this R5 for video.

I've been a stubborn Canon supporter (and flirted with Panasonic for a bit), but keeping all those EF lenses around and buying into their system is now really paying off. These two cameras (C300 III and R5) will be all I'll need for the next 3-5 years. Excited.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Only question I have left, is how many DR it will pack, as that is one department canon was dropping behind. (and for me one of the most important specs of the camera)

yeah, curious too.  If the DGO tech from the C300 mark III is as promising as it sounds, I hope they eventually can bring this to the mirrorless line.

I wouldn't be surprised if this R5 is the reason Samsung came out the business - because Canon bought/license their tech in order to compete with Sony. It's the only way I see that Canon out of nowhere coming out with a monster of a camera that blows away everyone else when they don't do chips or sensors and don't live on the bleeding edge of Tech, something that Samsung has been doing for so long now

On 3/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, Trek of Joy said:

The press release specifically says broadcast and cinema, this is likely what would have been the NAB announcement. The R line is not a broadcast or cinema line. The R5 will get its own announcement day so the C300mkIII or whatever else they announce doesn't get drowned out by the R5 hype. That's my bet.

Chris

On 4/1/2020 at 2:26 PM, gt3rs said:

From a marketing prospective it make no sense to have both announcement on the same event. Two announcements means more press coverage and more important spread over time... So I agree with you will be Cinema stuff only.

So finally they talked about the R5. I think that they are very aware of the powerful tool they are about to unleash, so they go all out in teasing us. Which is a bit annoying... I'd love to know the price and release date ! And also the DR in video ! If they improved on DR and the price is not insane, I'll sell my EOS R and S1H to have the perfect all around tool for my needs !

20 minutes ago, zerocool22 said:

Only question I have left, is how many DR it will pack, as that is one department canon was dropping behind. (and for me one of the most important specs of the camera)

Canon's main weakness in that department has been that when it comes to flat image profiles, your choices have basically boiled down to C-LOG or nothing - or, on any camera that wasn't a 5Div, EOS R, 1DC or 1DXiii, just nothing (out of the box, anyway).

I presume this thing's gonna come with C-LOG given the price tag, but it'd be nice if they had some Flat/Cinelike-D type profile as well, for when all you need to make are quick-and-simple grading adjustments.

7 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Sounds great, I'd imagine it's going to be stupidly expensive. Hope not

I wouldn't be surprised if it is - but if Canon have rediscovered their late 2000s/early 2010s mojo, then hopefully we'll be able to look forward to the same path that their VDSLR line took, from stupidly expensive (5Dii) to moderately expensive (7D) to actually pretty affordable (550D).