Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

The 4k and 1080p HFR options that *should* be 10-bit internal are far more interesting to me. That and the IBIS paired with a 40-ish mp sensor capable of 20fps and Canon's AF to boot. If its pulled off the impossible - speed, resolution, stabilization and great internal video - all my needs are met with one body. The unicorn has arrived. The rest is just a bonus. For my needs.

Though I have no doubt the a9 with its stupid fast readout speed could do the same, only topping out at 6k and melting from the heat. But Sony is the new Canon and clearly won't dump everything into one body.

Chris

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

The 8K will be there only as a marketing gimmick. It'll be far from practical (or necessary) in reality.

Have fun editing 8K h265!

I did notice the wording of the press release was a bit strange though, something along the lines of using the "full width" of the sensor. It got me thinking about the Red Raven, which was advertised as shooting 4.5K with a S35 sensor - but only at 2.4:1. So by the time you crop it to an actual size that your client demands, you're left with UHD from a m4/3rds sized sensor.

89552569_2937742146275852_999799946204938240_o.jpg

...wording sounds pretty clear to me! :) 

19 minutes ago, barefoot_dp said:

8K raw would be more than double the data of 5.5K raw. That's a whole lot of headaches for media & storage costs!

5.5k raw at 60 fps is quite close to 8k 30 fps in data so it would be in theory doable. Not sure they will do it

19 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

The 4k and 1080p HFR options that *should* be 10-bit internal are far more interesting to me. That and the IBIS paired with a 40-ish mp sensor capable of 20fps and Canon's AF to boot. If its pulled off the impossible - speed, resolution, stabilization and great internal video - all my needs are met with one body. The unicorn has arrived. The rest is just a bonus. For my needs.

Though I have no doubt the a9 with its stupid fast readout speed could do the same, only topping out at 6k and melting from the heat. But Sony is the new Canon and clearly won't dump everything into one body.

Chris

They will, provided they can get a new processor. 

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

I believe Canon will use H265 codec for 8K

Nothing has being mentioned yet about Raw .

I also think so.
I think it will do 8k h265 10bit <=30 fps, hopefully 4k DCI/UHD 10 bit super sampled up to 30 fps (maybe up to 60fps) , 4k 120 fps probably will be 1-1 crop.... and already would be a super video machine. Hopefully there will be some crops mode to lover the rolling shutter.

Editing 8k 10bit h265 natively will be really hard. Hopefully as the format become more popular more optimization and gpu support will be available.

20 hours ago, gt3rs said:

5.5k raw at 60 fps is quite close to 8k 30 fps in data so it would be in theory doable. Not sure they will do it

Yeah fair point. I didn't realise the 1DXmkIII did raw at 60fps. That's not to say it is any more practical though!

19 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

I believe Canon will use H265 codec for 8K

Nothing has being mentioned yet about Raw .

Yes that was kind of the point I was getting at. 8K raw would be so massively impractical, particularly for the target market, that I very much doubt it would be included.

Isn’t the upcoming R6 much more interesting though? I sincerely hate the megapixel race and still think the output of the Nikon D700 is unmatched. I really hope they put an updated version of the 20 mpx sensor from 1dxiii in the R6, since the rolling shutter of the 1dxiii is fucking atrocious in 4K video (both 5.5k raw and 10bit hevc).

Seeing that the X-T4 is compromised because of poor heat management and too much warping when shooting anything wider than 24mm in full frame terms, the 2020 camera releases got a put less exciting, the Corona crisis notwithstanding.

3 hours ago, Simon Young said:

Isn’t the upcoming R6 much more interesting though? I sincerely hate the megapixel race and still think the output of the Nikon D700 is unmatched. I really hope they put an updated version of the 20 mpx sensor from 1dxiii in the R6, since the rolling shutter of the 1dxiii is fucking atrocious in 4K video (both 5.5k raw and 10bit hevc).

Seeing that the X-T4 is compromised because of poor heat management and too much warping when shooting anything wider than 24mm in full frame terms, the 2020 camera releases got a put less exciting, the Corona crisis notwithstanding.

Potentially it would be to me if they include internal 10-bit and c-log.  I’m not a fan of the megapixel race either, although I have started pulling stills from video and that’s where I can see having 6k might be nice (although 10-bit 4K stills from my EOS R look really great for web delivery).  Hell, I’d take an HD Alexa sensor in a mirrorless body :)

2 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

Potentially it would be to me if they include internal 10-bit and c-log.  I’m not a fan of the megapixel race either, although I have started pulling stills from video and that’s where I can see having 6k might be nice (although 10-bit 4K stills from my EOS R look really great for web delivery).  Hell, I’d take an HD Alexa sensor in a mirrorless body :)

Since when can the EOS R record in 10bit? Or are you using an external recorder?

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

Since when can the EOS R record in 10bit? Or are you using an external recorder?

Yeah exactly... Ninja V.  Bizarrely the EOS R doesn’t do 4K 23.98fps via HDMI, only cinema 24fps.  One of those maddening and seemingly arbitrary Canon quirks/restrictions.

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

Sensor resolution appears to be 8208 x 5472, approx 45MP.

You mentioned 10-bit H.265 earlier.. curious if that was something you heard from a good source.

14 hours ago, Patrick B. said:

Yeah exactly... Ninja V.  Bizarrely the EOS R doesn’t do 4K 23.98fps via HDMI, only cinema 24fps.  One of those maddening and seemingly arbitrary Canon quirks/restrictions.

You mentioned 10-bit H.265 earlier.. curious if that was something you heard from a good source.

Can't speak for androidlad but 1Dx III the 10 bit 4:2:2 is h265 only and only this codec has Log. I doubt they develop this for a single "small" volume camera it is also not used in their Cinema camera so it is a fair guess that it would be in the R5.

Just be ready that at the moment editing this format is really pain at least in resolve at 4k, I really cannot imagine how slow it will be at 8k. 5.5k RAW are faster to edit.