Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
31 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Anyone heard what codec/bit rate/depth this thing shoots? Knowing Canon it'll be like 6 bit 4:0:0 or something goofy like that. So that and price are the big reveals.

kayleerumors is reporting that 8k is limited to 7-bit

1 hour ago, androidlad said:

It'll be 10bit H.265/HEVC, 480Mbps IPB.

Has this been announced, or just rumor? If so this cam will be pretty dang sweet, and that’s coming from a guy who hates Canon. I mean these guys are going for broke. 

Speaking of broke, I have a suspicion the pricing of this cam will leave us all broke.

20 minutes ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Speaking of broke, I have a suspicion the pricing of this cam will leave us all broke.

Feels like the R5 and likely 5d5 are inching toward $4000, maybe a tad lower at $3899 or so.. That's my guess. But if they really wanted to hit Sony and Nikon with a dagger and squash the fledgeling L-mount like a bug, drop it at $3199. After spending a little time with the current R, its so much better in use than any Sony, and the R5 looks like its solved all the little annoying issues with the R. I'm really looking forward to this camera and the R6.

Chris

12 minutes ago, MeanRevert said:

Anyone think that, given the huge economic hit that is Corona, the pricing will be aggressive?

Yes it will be aggressively high. If production is limited they will try to capitalize on early adopters. 

I would guess around 3900 usd

1 hour ago, David Bowgett said:

I think absolute best case is that the R5 is priced similarly to the A7Riv, and the R6 somewhere just above the A7iii and Z6. And even the latter might end up being priced nearer the Z7, considering that pricing it much lower would pretty much instantly render the EOS R obsolete.

EOS R was selling for $1499 ($1299) during special, I guess that could be the new price segment for R, R6 will be similar price range to the A73/Z6/S1.

1 hour ago, David Bowgett said:

I think absolute best case is that the R5 is priced similarly to the A7Riv, and the R6 somewhere just above the A7iii and Z6. And even the latter might end up being priced nearer the Z7, considering that pricing it much lower would pretty much instantly render the EOS R obsolete.

It would be interesting to see how that kind of pricing plays out given the current economic trajectory.

I’m going to say it will be closer to a $5K launch price and slowly work down to $4K and stay there for awhile.

As with everything Canon, it’s a wait and see after all the gotchas are found out. Like no 24p in 1080p or massive rolling shutter, or record limits in 4k24p but not 30p. Head scratcher shit like that.

But so far it’s looking pretty nice except for the wallet bashing it will take to buy into RF.

The 8K will be there only as a marketing gimmick. It'll be far from practical (or necessary) in reality.

Have fun editing 8K h265!

I did notice the wording of the press release was a bit strange though, something along the lines of using the "full width" of the sensor. It got me thinking about the Red Raven, which was advertised as shooting 4.5K with a S35 sensor - but only at 2.4:1. So by the time you crop it to an actual size that your client demands, you're left with UHD from a m4/3rds sized sensor.