Canon EOS R5 8K monster official topic

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
24 minutes ago, Lars Steenhoff said:

Translation:

Canon Inc Enhanced EOS R System Developed next-generation full-size mirrorless camera "EOS R5" and RF lens Canon has developed the next generation full-size mirrorless camera “EOS R5” of the “EOS R System” by combining technologies such as CMOS sensor, video engine, and optics that have been cultivated over many years in-house development of cameras. We are also working on a total of nine models of RF lenses with the aim of launching them in 2020. We will enhance the EOS R system by adding attractive cameras and lenses to our lineup. EOS R5 * With `` RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM '' iinstalled RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM

The EOS R system is an imaging system that has the features of a large mount diameter, short back focus, and a high-speed communication system between the lens and the camera that increase the degree of freedom in lens design, and achieves high image quality and improved convenience. The next-generation full-size mirrorless camera, which is currently under development, aims to expand the range of image expression by utilizing the features of the “EOS R System” to achieve even higher-speed continuous shooting and 8K video shooting. In addition, communication functions, operability and reliability can be further improved, and workflow can be streamlined. With these functions, the basic concept of the EOS series, "rapid, comfortable, and high image quality" is realized at a high level.

The EOS R5, the first in the EOS R System's next-generation full-size mirrorless camera, uses a newly developed CMOS sensor to provide up to approximately 20 frames / second for electronic shutters and up to approximately 12 frames / second for mechanical shutters. It aims to achieve continuous shooting performance in seconds, and also supports subjects that move at high speeds such as sports. In addition, the ability to shoot 8K video enables the extraction of high-resolution still images and the processing of higher-quality 4K video, expanding the range of video expression. In addition, Canon's first in-body image stabilization mechanism and the in-lens image stabilization mechanism of the RF lens are cooperatively controlled to achieve even higher image stabilization. In addition to the new dual slot support, a cloud platform

It will be equipped with a function to automatically transfer images to the system “image.canon”. We have also developed an RF lens “RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM” and “Extender RF1.4 ×” and “Extender RF2 ×” that can be mounted on the same model. We have developed a total of nine types of RF lenses, including these three, and aim to launch them in 2020. <Reference> “EOS R5” and “RF100-500mm” currently under development at the Canon booth of the “CP + (CP +)” world premier show for cameras and photographs held at Pacifico Yokohama from February 27 to March 1, 2020 F4.5-7.1 L IS USM ”,“ Extender RF1.4 × ”and“ Extender RF2 × ”will be exhibited for reference. February 13, 2020        ● EOS home page: canon.jp/eos

Hopefully Andrew will get answers to many unanswered questions about this camera. Their press release didn't reveal much as far as all the video features other than 8k. The 1DX Mark III appears to be media card hog and will require a lot of expensive memory chips. Will the R5 follow suit? What will the dynamic range be for video? What about higher frame rates? 120fps 4k? at what bit depth? Will it be a cropped 4k at 120fps? Recording length? Clog? Prores? Autofocus at higher 4k frame rates and/or 8k?

Been down this road so many times with Canon and then have the rug pulled out from under me. Looking forward to verifiable specs before getting giddy about this camera.

I created a EOS R5 topic that has 9 pages already, now we have two threads..

This is the real deal. right here.
Amazing body and ergonomics, with articulated screen, nice touch operations, nice menu, good grip, IBIS that works with IS, Canon DPAF, 45mpx, 8K, Canon colors.. 

I don’t event see one thing just one thing that’s left to Sony ?

if 4K120 (or even just 4K60p) is confirmed with a good 10 bit codec this is it. The dream come true..

Come on Canon get that thing shipping and take the camera world’s money. 

is Sony the new Canon, and Canon the new Sony? with the Underwhelming A9II, and this announcement, it seems it is. 

2 minutes ago, ajay said:

Hopefully Andrew will get answers to many unanswered questions about this camera. Their press release didn't reveal much as far as all the video features other than 8k. The 1DX Mark III appears to be media card hog and will require a lot of expensive memory chips. Will the R5 follow suit? What will the dynamic range be for video? What about higher frame rates? 120fps 4k? at what bit depth? Will it be a cropped 4k at 120fps? Recording length? Clog? Prores? ? ? ?

Been down this road so many times with Canon and then have the rug pulled out from under me. Looking forward to verifiable specs before getting giddy about this camera.

Yes we’ve been here before, maybe though it’s a case of the boy who cried wolf...

No mention of full frame 4K, mind: “camera's 8K video capture capability will enable users to extract high-resolution still images from video footage as well as process 8K video into higher-quality 4K video”

I’m thinking there will be two flavours of 4K in the R5, just as there are two flavours of 1080p in the R: full-frame line-skipped, and the superior 1:1 readout via the crop - it would be nice to have this option actually (I may be the only one who likes the crop on the R - makes my 24mm prime a really sweet 42mm at the push of a button (well, two/three buttons...) TBH I’m just hoping for improved rolling shutter. 

A few remarks:

• The body looks awfully small for an 8K FF monster. In the video, it is paired with a 24-105 f/4 lens and the body seems more like a Rebel/RP series than a 5D in relation to the lens size.
  • But the R5 terminology might indicate that this camera fights in the 5D category
  • There is absolutely zero details in this announcement, except for FPS and usual language (new sensor and processor).
  • I wouldn't be surprise if the 8K capture is only available in short burst. Fuji might enlarge its next X-T4 camera for video capture, Panasonic can't event do 4k60 without crop on its fan equipped brick size S1H camera and all the sudden Canon shows up miles ahead of the competition with a small body and 8K recording?
  • Not only this camera would mark the end of the cripple hammer but it means that Canon secretly worked for months/years to make a giant technical leap with camera design, and they just introduced this out of the blue after a decade of sub-par release.

Anyway, if this thing is real and hit the market with clean crop-less 4k60p, I'll probably get one. I'm not going to complain!

1 minute ago, Trankilstef said:

The 8k feature might just be a burst ofna few seconds where you can extract stills or shoot an 8k material then processed into 4k video file as it implies in this screenshot I made from one of the press release. Do we understand the same thing? 

Screenshot_20200213_073311_com.brave.browser~2.jpg

Yes, see what I said before. Basically it will be 8K for the headlines and to have the "8K ready" sticker on the box...