Poor Olympus E M1 Mark III video specs

liork

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

The Panasonic AF100 had NDs with a MFT mount

And of course E Mount is even more shallow, and has NDs in many cameras

Oly has an electronic ND function/mode. Which is pretty cool, but my understanding is that it's only for stills and doesn't work with video...which is what I was thinking about.

Having physical ND glass inside the body is great, but putting it in a small EM5 body would be a real challenge; would be really wonderful if they could though.

Then again, these are photo cameras first and foremost.  No real desire to make the camera bigger to accommodate somehhhing like that. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Oly has an electronic ND function/mode. Which is pretty cool, but my understanding is that it's only for stills and doesn't work with video...which is what I was thinking about.

That is a real cool function, but seems to use computational photography with different composite exposures.  Real neat innovation though: 

Though the video specs aren't thrilling, they're plenty good enough for YouTube or HD broadcast use. I've used Sony A7 cameras for years and nobody cared when I used those or my FS7. I'm liking this new Olympus and might pick it up... or the E-M1X to use for some of our mountain shoots. You can't imagine how wet it can get out there.

R

Are there any real differences between the video capabilities of the 1miii and the 5miii?

Looking at the spec sheets at B&H and the Olympus site, they look pretty much the same, including 422 8bit external. I know there has been talk in the thread about the 1miii possibly outputting 10bit but I couldn't find it on a spec sheet. Has this been confirmed?

16 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

Are there any real differences between the video capabilities of the 1miii and the 5miii?

Looking at the spec sheets at B&H and the Olympus site, they look pretty much the same, including 422 8bit external. I know there has been talk in the thread about the 1miii possibly outputting 10bit but I couldn't find it on a spec sheet. Has this been confirmed?

I think it’s pretty similar codecs but EM5iii has no 120p, lesser IBIS, no OM-D log profile, noisier pre-amps, maybe slower AF, no time code. There is also better weather sealing etc on the EM1iii.

On 2/25/2020 at 2:35 PM, mat33 said:

I think it’s pretty similar codecs but EM5iii has no 120p, lesser IBIS, no OM-D log profile, noisier pre-amps, maybe slower AF, no time code. There is also better weather sealing etc on the EM1iii.

Thanks, I thought that I had seen OM log in the EM5iii's specs somewhere but I was mistaken. The 5 does have a "high speed movie" 120 in 1920, though. Is that different from the regular 120 of the 1?

On 2/25/2020 at 3:38 PM, Video Hummus said:

Unless you need the slightly smaller foot print or the smaller price I would spend extra for the EM1.3. It’s already quite small and with the new TruePix processor will mostly likely be the one to get new features via firmware if there is an update.

Yeah, it's mainly the smaller footprint. But the price is also a bit irritating, 1799 is more than the X-T3/4 and in the range of a few full frame options. Of course, the small footprint is out the window with those. I recently sent back the Sigma FP. Using the little 45mm and a couple M lenses, I loved the photo IQ and the footprint but it lacked in just about every other area.

9 hours ago, Thomas Hill said:

Nice. What lens is that?

Eye sight getting away from ya? 😛 12mm f/2.0 it reads on the lens (used to be the one that came in silver... and the black version was the premium 'limited edition' at a high price, later they actually just made it standard and is more of a regular price now).

Actually, I do like the fact that you get a nice solid camera body, with front-facing screen, solid C-AF, best IBIS in the biz and just very fuzzless. Just, maybe not to jump at it at market launch price, whilst having the GH5 and G9 around that are still very capable and have some edging features.

On 2/27/2020 at 9:15 AM, Thomas Hill said:

Lol, nah, it's brain slippage, didn't think to expand the pic.

The 12mm has been a great lens. Originally purchased for the X5 on our Osmo Pro for car-to-car shots. Too bad they charge an absurd amount of money for the lens hood. It should really have come with it. 

First footage from a shoot yesterday. A couple similar shots to compare Sony A7III to EM1 Mk III.

• 7 months later...
On 2/28/2020 at 6:18 PM, rdouthit said:

The 12mm has been a great lens. Originally purchased for the X5 on our Osmo Pro for car-to-car shots. Too bad they charge an absurd amount of money for the lens hood. It should really have come with it. 

First footage from a shoot yesterday. A couple similar shots to compare Sony A7III to EM1 Mk III.

Personally, I don't see a bit difference between the two.

22 hours ago, John Matthews said:

Working with the E-M1X, have you seen significant differences in video capabilities with the E-M1 iii?

No. They're basically identical. The "deep learning" AF system exclusive to the EM1X doesn't work for video at all, which is disappointing. But single point continuous AF works a charm. 

• 3 months later...

Bringing life back to this thread. I use my mkiii daily. It’s my primary camera. Love it for hybrid shooting with those f1.2 primes. Still haven’t tried the new prores raw feature. Really incredible they added that. 

im just a bit scared for the future of the company. I really hope to see a new camera with updated specs like better EVF and newer sensor this year. We’ll see if the new owners handle it well.