Poor Olympus E M1 Mark III video specs

liork

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Olympus seem to be stuck in 2016 at the moment. Still a good camera taken as a whole though.

I don't think they are committed to the business, at least not to the extent of buying a new viewfinder OLED panel or ordering the latest sensor from Sony.

I think Olympus may pull out of consumer market altogether in fact.

A minor update from Olympus.  Olympus Germany has a good comparison of the differences and below I pulled what I could find for video.

https://www.olympus.de/site/de/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m1_mark_iii/e_m1_mark_iii_comparison.html

BIS: 7 EV (vs 5.5 EV) Body only and 7.5 EV (vs 6.5 EV) SyncIS

improved face/eye AF with Face Selection

More AF point setting for video (Mark II only had single point or whole area)

High speed movie: 120fps (1920 x 1080 / MOV)

Movie AF: Speed and sensitivity can be configured for Video

Sound: Improved sound quality thanks to new preamplification

Interestingly enough, it does sound like it would work for a bunch of YouTube vloggers that used to go the Canon route for a forward facing screen, good C-AF and pretty color.

But otherwise... rather lacklustre following the Mark II. Also was disappointed with Panasonic when they released their LX100 Mark II, amongst say the G90/95 and GX9. Thought they could've done more. So I'm hoping these manufacturers aren't all just done with MFT and slowly dropping it altogether. We'll see what is the case when the next gen Panasonic cameras launch.

Was also an oppertunity for Olympus to capitalize on their phase detect autofocus MFT edge by enhancing their video capabilities (other stills focused companies like Nikon and Fujifilm even seem to show more effort), but I guess the alliance means to keep out of Panasonic's video market.

Maybe an interesting tool still, though. In like a year or so when value has come down a fair bit... pretty good news for the 2nd hand market interest in the Mark II.

i'm gonna upgrade to it from my em1 mkii for that joy stick lol. i love the camera. its just a good tool that i enjoy...especially for family photos and videos. 

HOWEVER... i am SOOO dissapointed here. Was hoping to at least see 4k 60fps!!! idk whats going on. so stupid. nobody will buy this except olympus enthusiasts. it should really be called the EM1 mk2.5

It would be so nice if they could make some joint venture or so deal with Blackmagic. At least they share for the moment some influential ambassadors.

It seems as that, for some reason, they are not allowed to put at least one 10bit (24p) recording option. Having IBIS that now reach gimbal level but with more natural movement,  being best waterproof in a whole with lenses (plus not so extremely expensive underwater adds) , Olympus could be very special and unique tool for indie's just with base 10bit solution.

• Administrators
On 2/12/2020 at 4:43 PM, hoodlum said:

IBIS: 7 EV (vs 5.5 EV) Body only and 7.5 EV (vs 6.5 EV) SyncIS

That is seriously impressive.

Useful!

And USB-C charging

Makes a good camera even better, even if it is still fundamentally 90% a 2016 model

I may sell my E-M1 X and E-M1 II and just get the Mark III.

Wish they'd put a new EVF in there though, 10bit and anamorphic mode.

Maybe Panasonic do their firmware and said "no" 😂

sloth no GIF

On 2/12/2020 at 5:27 PM, Cinegain said:

Interestingly enough, it does sound like it would work for a bunch of YouTube vloggers that used to go the Canon route for a forward facing screen, good C-AF and pretty color.

But otherwise... rather lacklustre following the Mark II. Also was disappointed with Panasonic when they released their LX100 Mark II, amongst say the G90/95 and GX9. Thought they could've done more. So I'm hoping these manufacturers aren't all just done with MFT and slowly dropping it altogether. We'll see what is the case when the next gen Panasonic cameras launch.

Was also an oppertunity for Olympus to capitalize on their phase detect autofocus MFT edge by enhancing their video capabilities (other stills focused companies like Nikon and Fujifilm even seem to show more effort), but I guess the alliance means to keep out of Panasonic's video market.

Maybe an interesting tool still, though. In like a year or so when value has come down a fair bit... pretty good news for the 2nd hand market interest in the Mark II.

Lx100 with flippy screen and great AF would make an awesome travel video/vlog camera. Dont know why they held back!

The most troublesome info is the lack of a new "real" Truepic processor. Sure, it is a new one, but from all the info about it, it is just the dual Truepic VIII setup of the E-M1X encapsulated in one chip - probably even with the same transistor size. This explains the lack of real new features - the improved IBIS is a result of the new gyros, and the Starry AF was probably already implemented and was on hold to have something new for the MK III.

Looks like the development is halted on Olympus. 😕 Which is very sad - with it amazing IBIS and very good colors, with a good AF and more advanced video modes they could get a good piece of market share.

And (as Panasonic) they are hostages of Sony's desire to make a new sensor for MFT.

1 hour ago, hoodlum said:

It is 4:2:2 10-bit external according to Olympus US site

Well well well, the E M1 mk3 isn't the filmmaking flop we were thinking!!

Sure, it isn't internal, but this is still a first for Olympus! Good job, inching forward after all. 

On 2/12/2020 at 11:43 AM, hoodlum said:

A minor update from Olympus.  Olympus Germany has a good comparison of the differences and below I pulled what I could find for video.

https://www.olympus.de/site/de/c/cameras/om_d_system_cameras/om_d/e_m1_mark_iii/e_m1_mark_iii_comparison.html

BIS: 7 EV (vs 5.5 EV) Body only and 7.5 EV (vs 6.5 EV) SyncIS

So here are the other items confirmed for video.

4:2:2 10-bit external

Video IS: Image Stabilizer sensitivity can be configured in three steps

Video: Auto ISO in M-Mode

Recording selectable between 96kHz/24bit and 48kHz/16bit