First look - Olympus OM-D E-M1 vs Panasonic GH3

Andrew Reid

Hello Dean,

So you just import it on the computer and just put it on the timeline of FCP X, without converting to proress?

Maybe FCPx is doing that for you. Thanks.

Siep

Your probably best off checking the site I suggested or some other set of tutorials for FCP. Cheers.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Unless I'm doing something wrong (most likely the case), I really don't think you can record at higher ISO's in normal "M" mode.

I tried this and all the ISO's look the same ... ISO 3200, ISO 6400 right up to ISO 25,600 .. no difference in grain. Only in "Movie" mode on the dial shooting in "M" on the setting in the menu can I see any difference in grain and this only allows up to 3200.

Is it possible that when pressing the record button in any other setting than "Movie" on the dial that it will record in iAuto or something?

It's confusing  :huh:

Hmm - I am not sure! I guess I'm not entirely sure that this was ISO 6400 then! I was operating under that assumption because I had set my shutter speed and ISO in M mode and then hit record and my exposure did not change. Curious! I'll investigate further.

Hello Dean,

So you just import it on the computer and just put it on the timeline of FCP X, without converting to proress?

Maybe FCPx is doing that for you. Thanks.

Siep

I am a Premiere guy but FCPX should be able to work with the E-M1 .mov files natively.

Hmm - I am not sure! I guess I'm not entirely sure that this was ISO 6400 then! I was operating under that assumption because I had set my shutter speed and ISO in M mode and then hit record and my exposure did not change. Curious! I'll investigate further.

I can't find anything in the manual regarding shooting video in any other mode other than "Movie" mode on the dial for some reason. But, from the manual regarding shooting in "M" in "Movie" mode it definitely tops out at ISO 3200. Auto ISO not available. 

"You control both aperture and shutter speed. Use the front dial to choose the

aperture, the rear dial to select the shutter speed from values between 1/30 s and
1/4000 s. Sensitivity can be set manually to values between ISO 200 and 3200;
auto ISO sensitivity control is not available."

It also seems that the only reason they even included a movie function on the camera is so you can use their special effects and art filters !!! A testament to their dedication to video :) This is really all they have to say about the video feature in the camera ...

"Movie mode (n) can be used to fi lm movies with special effects.
You can create movies that take advantage of the effects available in still photography
mode. Use live control to select the settings. g “Adding effects to a movie†(P. 69)
You can also apply an after-image effect or zoom in on an area of the image during
movie recording."

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I probably will be buying the OM-D E-M1 with 12-40mm f/2.8 next month (when logistics will be more favorable). :D

I hope it's all that what I make it up to be and then some!

Just gotten the Panasonic Lumix 20mm f/1.7 II (black version) for the bare minimum shooting! Should be pretty sweet with the OM-D E-M1's stabilization. The (black as well) 14mm f/2.5 is on it's way too.

4nZOLNs.jpg

I was mainly using full manual vintage/legacy glass before, but I need to slim things down and go more essential/pockeable with some pancakes.

- UPD 15/2. I just found a discount coupon in some old mail from two weeks ago. It expires tomorrow. The universe basically was telling me to order it, which I did. Will soon be the proud owner of the OM-D E-M1 with 12-40mm f/2.8. And whereas the picture above shows the new 20mm f/1.7 II, yesterday the 14mm f/2.5 came in as well!

tumblr_n0znuyJadg1s9jd1oo2_1280.jpg

epQluwt.jpg

I'm just loving the EVF, IBIS and thumb/index finger dials. Now I just need to go and get acquainted. :lol:

The menu's and philosophy are quite different from the GH2. Will take it around today, see what I can come up with.

Thanks again for the initial review Andrew, it really made me excited about this camera.

Hi, Am really struggling with the EM-1, wonder if I've got a bad unit but the video just doesn't seem smooth, have formatted a 45mb/s UHS card and other fast sd extreme to the EM-1 and am shooting with 1/60 sec, flicker red off, in manual mode either Shutter or full manual mode! It feels like its a bit jerky, the footage has the odd jumpiness in stabilisation too? Any help on what people are using would be helpful. Am having no problems with 50p 28mb on the GX7 with 1/100 sec, should I be shooting 1/120 on the EM-1? Weird!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Are these videos posted throughout the thread actually handheld or is this some kind of joke? Maybe handheld means something I don't understand?

Are these videos posted throughout the thread actually handheld or is this some kind of joke?

The Rome video on the previous page is shot handheld and filmed by someone with skill.  It's no joke to me as it illustrates what's possible with the OM-D's and a bit talent.

The other videos in the thread seem to be pretty much neophytes trying to figure out how to use the gear.  Nothing wrong with that, but the examples are obviously nothing too special.

But the Rome vid is certainly a showcase for the Oly's.  It helps sell me on the idea that the OM-D line would be the best camera(s) for my 2-month-hike-film.  The less I have to carry on that particular shoot the better.