NYDirector2/47

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

There's currently no way to do it.

Magic Lantern won't do it, concerned about legal complications. Big shame!

I'd love to see it and I think it would be technically feasible. 1D C 4K maybe, raw video definitely maybe.

A used 1D X can be bought for £3500 on eBay right now. That's only £500 more than the 5D Mark III was when it was launched. Almost prosumer price territory and a lot more accessible than the £8500 Canon want for the 1D C.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

As I Andrew said, I understand they won't do it for legal reasons (shame on Canon!)
But I was wondering, are the 5D and 1Dx that different? Couldn't we have an easy way to run even the 5D's ML on a 1Dx? I mean there are many cameras that don't have official ML builds but have other ones that work fine (1100d/50d/40D).
It would be extremely cool if we could even only run the RAW module on a 1Dx.

• Administrators

There's nothing to stop an enterprising 1D X user trying anything under the sun.

If one has the technical knowledge and the camera you can take the open source code and compile it for the 1D X, but it's way beyond my knowledge on how feasible this is, whether it would work, or if it would need the know-how of the Magic Lantern guys to get it working.

• 7 years later...

Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread. But I found it amazing that, here we are, 8 years after this thread was started and you still cannot find firmware, whether official or dumped, for the 1DC on the internet. A 1DX can be had fairly cheap these days and would be so fun to have with 4k capabilities. No wonder canon will always own this camera market. They play the game better than anyone.

I think my fascination for a Lumix G6 is emotional but with good reasoning, giving a magical hd image with the right settings. But having a fascination for a 1DC seems less rational to me. Akward. Maybe it's because it still costs a bit and does not offer more in the image department than similar priced Lumix S cameras. Whereas a G6 can be had for 150eu and gives you a satisfying image for very little money.

So question is, would a 1DC make sense to image connoisseurs? I never saw that 1DC mojo like others did.

Darn the both of you for making me reevaluate my statement. I never felt the mojo was right in my face. The 1DC was always a mystical camera to me. In that way it had mojo. But the images never wowed me enough. Maybe the Wow was not big enough for the big chunk of money which it cost back then.

12000eu/usd was astronomical! I was still fancying it for the plain fact of CLOG and lack of "artificial sharpening" and for its mystical status. My S1 does not feel effortless to me. I don't know what it is. It does not excel under natural light. Maybe I couple it with the wrong lenses. On paper it smokes the 1DC. But mystical qualities are not surrounding the Lumix.

1DC pieces always had a muted look to me. I never saw any grades going into the 70ies or Kodak look. It sometimes looked so neutral as trying to hide lack of potentially thick colors by low contrast and understated color palette. Whereas other cameras impressed with rich and thick color, 1DC seemed to love the understatement. For instance 5d Raw always wowed me on the other hand.

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

$2000 now on eBay!

Wild. The images are so nice. 4K upload on Vimeo holds up in 2022 easily.

17 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

I Always think of this frame grab with a 1DC. Pretty unbelievable. No, I didn't take it.

1DC.thumb.jpg.67ec0b743fafcebde65cd825084facf7.jpg

Really nice. I always loved how clean and balanced the Canon baked in images look. (assuming it is based on the contrast levels.) We've gone through years and years of poorly graded LOG footage...

I own the Canon C70. They removed a lot of the nice baked in profiles that existed on the Canon C300 Mkii. I'm convinced the OG C-LOG on these older cameras was better. There's something lacking with the C70. A lot of brown / red images rather than yellow / golden.

20 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Darn the both of you for making me reevaluate my statement. I never felt the mojo was right in my face. The 1DC was always a mystical camera to me. In that way it had mojo. But the images never wowed me enough. Maybe the Wow was not big enough for the big chunk of money which it cost back then.

12000eu/usd was astronomical! I was still fancying it for the plain fact of CLOG and lack of "artificial sharpening" and for its mystical status. My S1 does not feel effortless to me. I don't know what it is. It does not excel under natural light. Maybe I couple it with the wrong lenses. On paper it smokes the 1DC. But mystical qualities are not surrounding the Lumix.

1DC pieces always had a muted look to me. I never saw any grades going into the 70ies or Kodak look. It sometimes looked so neutral as trying to hide lack of potentially thick colors by low contrast and understated color palette. Whereas other cameras impressed with rich and thick color, 1DC seemed to love the understatement. For instance 5d Raw always wowed me on the other hand.

Was 'muted' the style at the time?  

The price of it alone is enough to ensure that a different type of film-maker would be buying it, and they'd potentially be grading it differently?

$12K for a camera seems crazy, especially now with what you can get for $5-6K.

• Administrators

It was priced for Hollywood to use as a crash cam, and for rental houses to buy a handful to rent out. Never intended to be a mass market product. These odd things always end up being the special ones, I forecast 1DC prices will be back up in the $12,000 range come another 20 years as they'll be collectors items (at least the ones still in a good condition).

50 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It was priced for Hollywood to use as a crash cam, and for rental houses to buy a handful to rent out. Never intended to be a mass market product. These odd things always end up being the special ones, I forecast 1DC prices will be back up in the $12,000 range come another 20 years as they'll be collectors items (at least the ones still in a good condition).

Makes sense.  We have the Komodo now for that purpose, and the BMMCC before that.

It would be interesting to see if ARRI made something for that niche, although I won't be holding my breath...

5 hours ago, BenEricson said:

Wild. The images are so nice. 4K upload on Vimeo holds up in 2022 easily.

Really nice. I always loved how clean and balanced the Canon baked in images look. (assuming it is based on the contrast levels.) We've gone through years and years of poorly graded LOG footage...

I own the Canon C70. They removed a lot of the nice baked in profiles that existed on the Canon C300 Mkii. I'm convinced the OG C-LOG on these older cameras was better. There's something lacking with the C70. A lot of brown / red images rather than yellow / golden.

I'll be honest I have been looking to buy a modern R series camera used and other than the R5 which I can't ever afford, I am hard pressed to see the magic CS of old days. I think a new Sony looks more like a Canon than a Canon! I think the original C300, C100, 1DC, C500 all sort of had the Canon look I liked.

Now I have seen some of the R series photos that look damn good, but you can see they have been processed to hell and gone. You didn't have to do that years ago. I have lost all interest in buying the newer stuff.