Truth about YouTube income

wolf33d

1 hour ago, wolf33d said:

This is not possible if you have 50K in your savings account. Someone with 2M in his savings can get 80K per year for ever without touching the 2M base. 
So I agree, he probably wants 5M then 10 then 20, then 200. You never stop. But the difference is he WANTS that, he does not need it. Someone making 50K a year NEEDS to continue working. 

Well, 50k would be a lot of money for the majority of people in the world.  I think in some parts of the world, you could live on the interest of 50k -- eastern europe, parts of asia and africa; the middle east, etc....  But than people WANT "modern conveniences" and expensive cameras.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, wolf33d said:

Also if your people with millions of sub make family friendly content, then you don’t know them well. Reminds me of that French youtuber having 10M sub and daring to say on his channel he takes home 500$ per month. A few days after he was bashed by the French YouTube community for being so insulting to his subs.

Wow, not even a violent wrestling channel with 10 million subs will make only $500/month! (their ad revenue... maybe, but there is so many other avenues than just that!)

I think they do better than $500 but not a lot better! Really it's just a continuation of how advertisers view wrestling on television. WWE has some of the best television ratings for the coveted 18-49 demographic but generates significantly less ad revenue than shows that do far worse with those demographics because of the perception that it's low rent entertainment. 

The problem with YouTube is figuring out which content appeals to advertisers. Is that channel that races marbles more appealing to them than pro wrestling or some other "fringe" topic? Who knows! YouTube certainly isn't telling us! 

What we do know is what absolutely DOES generate advertising revenue, but unfortunately that has resulted in hundreds of people producing content that's heavily influenced, if not completely copied, from the same dozen or so YouTubers. It's to the point where there are YouTube channels devoted to showing you how to edit like _________ ___________. It's all homogenized. 

1 hour ago, newfoundmass said:

Like even this topic, "How Much do I Make on YouTube" became a subject everyone started copying. Around 6 months ago one of the filmmaking channels did it and then within days a dozen other filmmaking channels all followed and did it too! 😂

I found this guy the other day... well done with great examples.

• Administrators

I usually have to watch 9 YouTube videos to get the information I could read in a single paragraph on a blog post... Always remember that the message is the medium. Certain people are good at certain mediums, and some people suit other ones. I prefer to write and shoot. I don't enjoy presenting. So this is a fundamental choice to make if you want to set out on a YouTube adventure. You may be better putting your talents into a written blog instead. The big reason people like Peter McKinnon and Philip Bloom suit YouTube and have made it successfully in that medium, is that they are both big on presentation and charisma. If you add that to the lusted after skills they seem to demonstrate and their glitzy lifestyles with thousands upon thousands of dollars of gear, then you start to see how there is a strong element of showbiz to it all, which allows them to take over so much airtime.

The truth is that this is an unrealistic job for 99.9% of the population. Thankfully there are far more paths than just this to getting noticed as a filmmaker.

Well I’ve never been motivated to change or do something in my life because someone waived a 1DX in front of my face or did some stupid sketch about their Tesla Remote driving to bringing them their new C500Mk2. I’m not jealous at all. If you have the money and want toys that’s fine. All power to you. But in the end it’s really just hollow and empty. This is coming from someone that wants to start a YouTube channel for fun and maybe a bit of profit.

But I’m not going to waste my time peddling shit to any potential viewers. I won’t make the mistake of having the income from YouTube dictate what type of content I produce and when. That’s the trap. Eventually, you have to do this shit your YouTube punishes you for it. That’s why all these channels just start to converge into one big monolithic corporate sponsored blob.

Im really, really sick of the stealth sponsored brand peddling and extreme GAS that these people present to you. If you don’t agree with me then do an experiment.

Take these (Real) titles for example..emphasis theirs.

Is the BMPCC 6K still worth it?

All you NEED is FPV.

Why I Invested In a NEW $16,000 Camera

How to use a wide angle lens effectively.

Hiking the Mardi Himal trek in Nepal.

Why I switched from Canon to Sony...

Whats in my camera bag 2020...

HOW TO CREATE CINEMATIC B ROOL

New C500 Vs EOS R...

And that was two full scrolls down YouTube for me. Almost all of those titles are geared focused.

Don’t watch for 1 month. In that month, instead, go out and use your gear to create something. Doesn’t have to be some spectacular epic...just create. I will guarantee you will become more inspired and more creative doing it then watching this crap. I bet you will even come to appreciate the kit you are using. I bet you will be happier and more joyful.

Having said all of that. I like YouTube. I’ve learned SO MUCH in a very short amount of time on about any topic. This is the power of the internet, but it’s also the internet’s extreme weakness for promoting and sharing toxic thoughts and behaviors to an audience of billions—mostly kids.

Part of the reason, I think, that Peter McKinnon does so well is that he, as a magician / magician enthusiast, understands the power of illusion and presentation. Because not only is he getting paid to present you with some product but he is also selling you a certain image. And it seems this is everything in the successful YouTube personality space. 

@Andrew Reid, I think your cheap camera challenge would translate well to YouTube channel to promote not only people actually using their gear and enjoying the process but to bring people here as well. If that is a goal of course. Maybe you don’t want that. 

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Certain people are good at certain mediums, and some people suit other ones. I prefer to write and shoot. I don't enjoy presenting.

I suck at presenting, and I hate it, but the more I push myself, and the more I do it, the more I grow to like it and the better I'm getting at it. Takes practice. 

52 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

And that was two full scrolls down YouTube for me. Almost all of those titles are geared focused.

That was because that is the type of videos you watch! Go on, fess up, you enjoy them and do watch them 😉

Because I can assure my sister's or my gf's youtube front page looks NOTHING like that! 

51 minutes ago, Video Hummus said:

@Andrew Reid, I think your cheap camera challenge would translate well to YouTube channel to promote not only people actually using their gear and enjoying the process but to bring people here as well.

That is a very good idea

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That was because that is the type of videos you watch! Go on, fess up, you enjoy them and do watch them 😉

Because I can assure my sister's or my gf's youtube front page looks NOTHING like that! 

Yes, and my whole post is that I’m seeing them for what they are...and I’m looking for more meaningful, thoughtful content. It’s hard to find!

On 2/9/2020 at 7:09 PM, kaylee said:

true or false: regardless of ones subscriber count, this is all predicated on ppl posting videos constantly, ever day or close to it

yes?

@DaveAltizer...?

it’s a combination of subs, views, comments, audience engagement that led to getting an agent who lands the brand deals. that’s the majority of my income. half of it is through sponsorships. the rest is all related to ad rev and affiliate

On 2/9/2020 at 10:52 PM, newfoundmass said:

I personally know people with over 2 million subs and they're definitely not rich or anywhere close to being rich. 

There are a lot more variables at play. The type of content you make, who watches it, etc. plays a huge role. My friends that have hundreds of thousands of subscribers but deal with pro wrestling content don't get much at all since YouTube allowed advertisers more control over what videos they advertise on and most passed on advertising on wrestling related content. 

absolutely. running a youtube channel isn’t about the channel itself. it’s about the other streams of income you make to pay for everything else. again... brand deals are where it’s at. i only make around $900 a month off ad revenue for example. the rest of my money is from all the other things like affiliate and brand deals 

7 hours ago, eleison said:

I'm putting my money on makeup and fashion tutorials.  Women are so superficial, not like us "gear obsessive" men.... because "gear" is cool.

i hope thats a joke, otherwise kaylee is probably lining you up with baseball bat, as we speak and i cant say i really blame her. Maybe you should put an emoji at the end, let people know it was an attempt at a joke 🙄

11 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

All you NEED is FPV.

Why I Invested In a NEW $16,000 Camera

How to use a wide angle lens effectively.

Hiking the Mardi Himal trek in Nepal.

Why I switched from Canon to Sony...

Whats in my camera bag 2020...

HOW TO CREATE CINEMATIC B ROOL

New C500 Vs EOS R...

This is because of YTs new algorithm, they only reccomend you content that is very similar/from the same channel because they seem to think that will lead to more clicks which means more ad revenue. That is also why uploading frequently and engagment is said to be more important to get views/growth.

2 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

led to getting an agent who lands the brand deals

Are agents pretty common in the industry? I know a couple of people who have had the company (Squaretrade or VPN etc) contact them directly but I never heard of agents before you mentioned it. Also I really enjoy your videos, suprised you are on this forum!

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I usually have to watch 9 YouTube videos to get the information I could read in a single paragraph on a blog post... Always remember that the message is the medium. Certain people are good at certain mediums, and some people suit other ones. I prefer to write and shoot. I don't enjoy presenting. So this is a fundamental choice to make if you want to set out on a YouTube adventure. You may be better putting your talents into a written blog instead. The big reason people like Peter McKinnon and Philip Bloom suit YouTube and have made it successfully in that medium, is that they are both big on presentation and charisma. If you add that to the lusted after skills they seem to demonstrate and their glitzy lifestyles with thousands upon thousands of dollars of gear, then you start to see how there is a strong element of showbiz to it all, which allows them to take over so much airtime.

The truth is that this is an unrealistic job for 99.9% of the population. Thankfully there are far more paths than just this to getting noticed as a filmmaker.

Not sure if you have considered it before or not. why not produce a vblog.  You write and shoot/direct and stick some local "charismatic" dude out the front.  You by your own admission have a bit of kit, most of us would enjoy seeing said kit used and the look you get from it. It might open a few avenues but at the same time probably truckloads of work. Since you have 30 000 forum members you already have a captive audience,  its not like you would have to blog your heart out. Depending on your workload  something once a month ?  just some thoughts

i know it seems like, i have boundless enthusiasm infused with a large dollop of naivety, reply as you see fit 

19 hours ago, eleison said:

I'm putting my money on makeup and fashion tutorials.  Women are so superficial, not like us "gear obsessive" men.... because "gear" is cool.

They might have a little, more than I would? But still, I wouldn't be surprised at all if my gf or sister don't have any makeup/fashion tutorials in the first couple of pages of their YT feed. 

Heh, I should take a look and ask my gf when I get back from tomorrow's shoot, am curious now myself. I could guess, but would be interesting to see.